Detail Shop

Started by giant_mtb, December 16, 2017, 12:48:17 AM

12,000 RPM

You can probably get some utility money if it's connected to their gas. But there is something cool about old cast iron stuff that still works :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

My first gas bill is going to be brutal.  $180 deposit to get the utilities in my name and it's been nice and frackin' cold lately... :cry: :lol:

BUT, I'm simply glad the furnace works and the building holds temperature (have it set at 50F) well enough.  I put some foam weather stripping around one of the garage doors to keep some cold air out, and just sealed up the man door in the garage yesterday.  Crazy what a difference filling in a few cracks can make.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 30, 2017, 11:14:33 AM
You can probably get some utility money if it's connected to their gas. But there is something cool about old cast iron stuff that still works :lol:

I'd really like a cast iron wood stove in there.  Just a simple one with an adjustable choke for efficiency.

93JC

I'm looking at this photo...

Does the furnace heat the office space too?

giant_mtb

Yes, there's a duct that shoots off the side to the office area.

You can see it in the picture.

Lebowski

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 30, 2017, 06:44:42 AM

We got warm fluorescent tubes for the house. Makes a huge difference. I got 3000K but I'd go down to 2700K if they made them.

What are you doing for HVAC in the space?

Warm is great for living areas but for a work area / detailing wouldn't a cooler color temp be better?  I've always gotten cooler temp for the garage. 

giant_mtb

Quote from: Lebowski on December 31, 2017, 09:07:48 AM

Warm is great for living areas but for a work area / detailing wouldn't a cooler color temp be better?  I've always gotten cooler temp for the garage. 

Yes.  Nice, crisp white is ideal for detailing. Soft white is good for hangout light. 

93JC

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 31, 2017, 12:06:58 AM
Yes, there's a duct that shoots off the side to the office area.

You can see it in the picture.

😬

That would be a building code violation here, because your return is in the garage bay. Your furnace could distribute carbon monoxide fumes to the office as a result, if you had a vehicle running in there.

That may complicate getting the furnace simply replaced: you might not be allowed...

giant_mtb

Yeah, the inspector said it could be an issue. 

Morris Minor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 30, 2017, 06:44:42 AM
We got warm fluorescent tubes for the house. Makes a huge difference. I got 3000K but I'd go down to 2700K if they made them.

What are you doing for HVAC in the space?
For the shop area don't dismiss 5000K daylight LEDs - they'll provide a truer rendering of vehicle colors etc. Also better for photography if you going to be snapping pics. 2700-3000K is def better for the office though.
http://www.westinghouselighting.com/color-temperature.aspx
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

giant_mtb

Y'all are preachin to the choir... :lol:

Morris Minor

We're spicing up our sad, purposeless, meaningless lives by living vicariously through you.

93JC

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 31, 2017, 10:41:45 AM
Yeah, the inspector said it could be an issue. 

Depending on how big the office space is you might consider replacing the old furnace and modifying the ductwork to serve just the office, and using a unit heater (e.g.) in the garage. Splitting the two, you can keep the spaces at whatever's comfortable for you; 70 °F in the office, 55 °F in the garage for example. And it would be code-compliant. ;)

93JC

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 31, 2017, 03:09:04 PM
We're spicing up our sad, purposeless, meaningless lives by living vicariously through you.

Speak for yourself, pops! I plan on (finally) building a garage this summer.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 93JC on January 01, 2018, 08:30:15 PM
Depending on how big the office space is you might consider replacing the old furnace and modifying the ductwork to serve just the office, and using a unit heater (e.g.) in the garage. Splitting the two, you can keep the spaces at whatever's comfortable for you; 70 °F in the office, 55 °F in the garage for example. And it would be code-compliant. ;)

Yeah, that was my thought as well.  As long as the bathroom stays warm so the pipes don't freeze.

12,000 RPM

I like the unit heater idea too, especially since it will be a lot more efficient. You could tie it to an occupancy sensor and shit.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 31, 2017, 03:09:04 PM
Sounds like you need a little adventure in your life. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

93JC

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 02, 2018, 10:27:31 AM
I like the unit heater idea too, especially since it will be a lot more efficient. You could tie it to an occupancy sensor and shit.

Another option, popular here, is a radiant tube heater; Re-verber-ray for example is a product built in Warren. They're much quieter than a unit heater—no blower fan.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 93JC on January 02, 2018, 04:43:24 PM
Another option, popular here, is a radiant tube heater; Re-verber-ray for example is a product built in Warren. They're much quieter than a unit heater—no blower fan.

Weird you mentioned Warren, but yeah those work pretty well.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Built a work bench with my dad this evening. Fifteen 2x4s and a sheet of plywood.  Didn't build the upper part for peg board yet.  It's sturdy as frig. Would like to poly coat the top surface.

Used these plans. Just modified the length a bit so I can have shelving units on either side of it.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/workshop/workbench/how-to-build-a-workbench-super-simple-50-bench/view-all/

giant_mtb

Quote from: 93JC on January 02, 2018, 04:43:24 PM

Those are intriguing.  One strip along the ceiling over each bay would be slick and keep the whole space more consistently heated.

giant_mtb

What do you guys think about the walls?  They're just bare brick/masonry, so they have very little insulative property.  I'm wondering what my order of operations should be...if I'm going to insulate the walls (foam board), I need to make sure that any electrical/plumbing work I have done takes that into account.  ie, Water line would need to be run like 3" off the wall so that once a wall is insulated/finished, the water line is still accessible.  Same with electrical, so that the conduit/switches/outlets are accessible throughout...?  I feel like the walls (at least gluing up insulation) is something I can do myself if I rent some scaffolding, but I'd like everything off the walls, first...which means plumbing and electrical stuff... such confus!

shp4man

Is there a floor drain in that place?

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on January 03, 2018, 11:52:52 AM
Is there a floor drain in that place?

Yep!  Wouldn't have bought it if there wasn't...otherwise my ability to do anything exterior-wise in the winter would be eliminated, which was half the point of buying the place. :lol:

shp4man

Most of the detailers around here are mobile (truck with flatbed trailer). There's one guy down the street that has a building with prices on the windows for a hand wash and wax, other services.

giant_mtb

Put together a nice, cheap sound system for the place on Parts Express.  The old cheap-o PA I have in there now is fine, but it's slowly dying (losing the right channel).  Considered putting my JBL L100s in there, but I don't want to subject them to that environment...they'll stay in my home.

Dayton B652s, Dayton SUB-800 8" sub, and a Yamaha R-S202 receiver with Blue teeth. 

Receiver has A/B speaker outputs, so I can run two more speakers later on if I'd like and run all 4, either to the office or to the other side of the shop.  8" sub isn't going to rattle the place to the ground, but it's compact and will be plenty for easy shop listening to fill in the low end under the B652s.

Morris Minor

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 03, 2018, 11:40:14 AM
Those are intriguing.  One strip along the ceiling over each bay would be slick and keep the whole space more consistently heated.
Maybe a couple of big ceiling fans? Upward-blowing in the winter to bring warm air down from the ceiling, & down-blowing in the summer to keep you cool.
And yes I'd insulate the walls as a first priority and run all the other stuff where needed on top of that.

giant_mtb

Yeah, I was thinking a ceiling fan over the middle of each bay would be good to have. 

93JC

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 02, 2018, 08:24:26 PM
Weird you mentioned Warren, but yeah those work pretty well.

The first manufacturer I thought of was Calcana, from these parts (Calgary, Canada...). I doubt they sell stuff down there, so I just started looking for American manufacturers of radiant heaters and Re-verber-ray was one of the first to come up. I figured surely they must have a lots of sales/support in the muthafuckin you-pee, even if they're made in North Windsor.

93JC

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 03, 2018, 02:35:25 PM
Yeah, I was thinking a ceiling fan over the middle of each bay would be good to have. 

Keep in mind you'll have to stay clear of the overhead doors...