Let's put another shrimp on the barbie!

Started by MrH, December 06, 2019, 08:12:39 AM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 14, 2020, 12:22:04 PM
Yeah i don't see why it would be completely incompatible. My Golf has a manual and all of its driverless tech works. The only difference (I know of) is that my car can't shift itself or start from a stop without the automatic.

Does yours have adaptive cruise?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

veeman

Based on googling articles with interviews, Subaru has no plans to "try" to make Eyesight compatible with a manual transmission. 

This is just one of them and this article is rosy on the future of manual transmissions in Subarus whereas most of the articles say they're being put out to pasture, model by model.  I think only the Crosstrek, WRX/STI, and BRZ in the U.S. have them currently available.  Crosstrek take rate of the manual is probably single digit percentage. 

https://jalopnik.com/perhaps-the-future-of-subaru-s-manual-transmission-isn-1823645963

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 14, 2020, 12:27:29 PM
Does yours have adaptive cruise?

Yeah, it will slow down or speed up based on what's in front of me, will hit the brakes if it sees something in front of me and doesn't think I am reacting fast enough (even when the cruise is off), will stay inside the lines, and so on.

r0tor

No way of doing an autonomous emergency stop in a manu without stalling or without an automated clutch -shrug-
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Eyesight adaptive cruise makes pretty extensive use of the CVT to slow the car down without engaging the brakes...

Quote from: r0tor on January 14, 2020, 05:51:23 PM
No way of doing an autonomous emergency stop in a manu without stalling or without an automated clutch -shrug-

And yeah, I believe that this is the #1 reason.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

A simple solenoid to release the clutch to avoid a stall seems like an easy enough fix.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

There are plenty of European and Asian cars in non USA markets that offer automatic braking with a manual transmission.

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on January 14, 2020, 06:47:52 PM
There are plenty of European and Asian cars in non USA markets that offer automatic braking with a manual transmission.

Automatic braking to a full stop?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 14, 2020, 06:31:38 PM
A simple solenoid to release the clutch to avoid a stall seems like an easy enough fix.

Rekluse clutches for all!

SJ_GTI

If its really an emergency I don't see what the car stalling would be a big deal.

And yes my car has an emergency braking system as well. A little too touchy IMO...it has gone off a couple times when it thought I was braking too light or too late.

edit to add: FWIW I can understand why Subaru has chosen not to implement a system for their manual (extra cost, low volume) I am just saying these are choices they made, it isn't some unsolvable problem (because other companies are already doing it).

Soup DeVille

That's why I wondered about adaptive cruise rather than emergency stops. A stop is a stop, and if it stalls the engine- so what?

Cruise though, could slow you down enough to want to be in a lower gear, does it then lug back up or does it give you some kind of shift light warning?

Also start/stop is a mystery to me with manuals.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 15, 2020, 09:13:24 AM
Cruise though, could slow you down enough to want to be in a lower gear, does it then lug back up or does it give you some kind of shift light warning?

For my car it will lug the engine if I don't shift down (or rev then engine sky high if I don't shift up). But that is part of the deal with a true manual transmission...that is the one thing I would always have to do myself.

That being said, changing gears while it is otherwise driving itself doesn't interrupt anything. It lets off the gas when I push in the clutch then then resumes when I let it out, so shifting is reasonably smooth even if it is on cruise.

CaminoRacer

At some point maybe people should just drive their damn car.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 15, 2020, 01:07:20 PM

A significant part of the aftermarket industry is now devices that defeat features in cars that customers don't want.

I do not buy the line that the companies are just responding to customer demand.

FoMoJo

Yes.  I don't want no damn car trying to take over from me.  The only features I like are the backup camera, the beeps telling me when if something is behind or approaching when I'm backing up and the blind spot indicators.  The rest of the stuff is overkill.  I know where the lanes are on the road and I know if there's a car stopped in front of me, or any other obstacle, so I don't need the car to do anything other than what I tell it do do.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 15, 2020, 01:15:34 PM
Yes.  I don't want no damn car trying to take over from me.  The only features I like are the backup camera, the beeps telling me when if something is behind or approaching when I'm backing up and the blind spot indicators.  The rest of the stuff is overkill.  I know where the lanes are on the road and I know if there's a car stopped in front of me, or any other obstacle, so I don't need the car to do anything other than what I tell it do do.

I like backup cameras and Apple CarPlay.  I use cruise control, but I just pay attention to the road instead of texting or whatever.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

I hardly ever use the cruise control. Its kind of nice to know its there, but outside of a long highway drive I generally do prefer to do everything myself.

CaminoRacer

I like backup cameras (kinda) and cruise control (especially radar cruise control). But I don't need emergency braking, lane assist, tiredness warnings, etc etc

giant_mtb

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 15, 2020, 02:05:05 PM
I hardly ever use the cruise control. Its kind of nice to know its there, but outside of a long highway drive I generally do prefer to do everything myself.

I haven't had (working) cruise control in the Taco for like 3 years now. Only time that was a PITA was when I drove out west to Moab and stuff. But...I still made it.  I'm used to not having it now. It gives me something to pay attention to, if anything.

MrH

Really good lane keep assist helps with long distance fatigue quite a bit.  That constant slight correction is what makes you tired.  Empty highway driving with lane keep assist is not nearly as tiring.

Unfortunately, Subaru's lane keep assist sucks.  Honda's is much better.  Subaru wins on the active cruise control by quite a bit though.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on January 15, 2020, 02:28:17 PM
Really good lane keep assist helps with long distance fatigue quite a bit.  That constant slight correction is what makes you tired.  Empty highway driving with lane keep assist is not nearly as tiring.

Unfortunately, Subaru's lane keep assist sucks.  Honda's is much better.  Subaru wins on the active cruise control by quite a bit though.

Is Honda's lane keep assist better?  The active cruise definitely sucks since it would just slam on the breaks instead of gradually slow down, but I didn't feel that the lane keep assist did much of anything.. i turn everything off now on the Pilot now..

veeman

Back up cameras and, better even, surround vision are great.  Poorly lit, long, steep, curved driveways were almost impossible for me to reverse out of at night in my Beetle which didn't have a back up camera.  Especially now with the design trend of cars having small windows and large blind spots.  It's easier to parallel park my Infiniti QX56 than my Camry because of the surround vision.  Gives a birds eye view of the car as well as the trajectory of the car based upon how the steering wheel is positioned. 

Raza

Quote from: veeman on January 15, 2020, 03:08:13 PM
Back up cameras and, better even, surround vision are great.  Poorly lit, long, steep, curved driveways were almost impossible for me to reverse out of at night in my Beetle which didn't have a back up camera.  Especially now with the design trend of cars having small windows and large blind spots.  It's easier to parallel park my Infiniti QX56 than my Camry because of the surround vision.  Gives a birds eye view of the car as well as the trajectory of the car based upon how the steering wheel is positioned.

Surround camera in the Nissan Armada I rented was totally clutch.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Radar cruise gets annoying when you hit packs of slower moving traffic.  I end up having to disable cruise and manage speed manually until I clear the pack in situations when I might have been able to weave through with traditional cruise.

Lane assist can be handy on really long trips, but I also found it annoying.  I did a few trips to Maryland this past summer and my rentals had lane assist.  To make time, I grabbed fast food (Subway) and ate while I drove instead of actually stopping to eat.  Being able to take my hands off the wheel to unwrap food and the car being able to keep itself in the lane rather than trying to awkwardly steer with my knee was kind of nice.  It was annoying much of the rest of the time.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MrH

So I did a post delivery meeting with the dealer. I took the product guru lady on a drive and showed her it ping ponging back and forth. She told me to call service, so I'm going to do that in the morning and see if this is normal or not.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

Quote from: MrH on January 15, 2020, 06:41:44 PM
So I did a post delivery meeting with the dealer. I took the product guru lady on a drive and showed her it ping ponging back and forth. She told me to call service, so I'm going to do that in the morning and see if this is normal or not.

Dropped it off this morning.  They gave me a new Forester as a loaner.  The EyeSight on this does a much better job of lane centering when traveling straight.

They said the cold start whine is just Subarus being Subarus :lol:  CVT + boxer + cold diffs.  Whatever, that's fine.

For the EyeSight, they said they noticed it ping pong back and forth a bit.  Checked the alignment.  Toe was off both front and rear.  They gave it an alignment, everything is good now they said.  Pick it back up this afternoon.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CaminoRacer

I need to check the toe on my Bolt too. It likes to wander on the highway.

MrH

The alignment fixed it.  Tracks much straighter with the lane centering now.

I debadged the rear hatch yesterday (sorry Nick :lol:).  Replaced the weak inside hatch bulb with an LED one, same with the reverse lights.  Took goo gone to the wheels to get all that gunk off of them?  Apparently it was some time of adhesive used to keep covers on them during transport?

Got a cargo net for the rear too.

Next is to figure out this auto start/stop defeat device.  Hopefully a software update is coming any day now to address some of the infotainment issues.

Wheels and tires in the spring maybe.  Apparently Falken Wildpeak A/T tires are really good?  Anyone have any experience?  I'm definitely not going down the BFG KO2 route again.  Waaaaay too heavy and overkill for this thing.  I want to downsize to 17" wheels, and get some bigger sidewalls, but not if it adds 15-20 lbs of rotating mass per corner.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited