1950 VW Transporter T1 ‘Sofie’ Is The Oldest Known Example In Existence

Started by cawimmer430, August 10, 2020, 02:18:37 AM

cawimmer430

Gorgeous.   :wub:

1950 VW Transporter T1 'Sofie' Is The Oldest Known Example In Existence

The Volkswagen Type 2, also known as the Transporter T1, Kombi, Bulli or Bus, has achieved cult status around the world, particularly in the United States where it became the default choice of wheels for the hippie movement in the 1960s.

However, the history of the first-generation Transporter started much earlier, with the first production model leaving the assembly line in Germany in 1950. Believe it or not, there is still a 1950 model in existence and it has been in VW Commercial Vehicles' (VWCV) collection since 2014.

The oldest street-legal VW Bus is a dove blue panel van with chassis number 20-1880 affectionately called "Sofie". Seventy years ago, on August 5, 1950, the van rolled off the production line in the Wolfsburg plant and was delivered to Hildesheim to enter into commercial service.

After a 23-year working life that consisted of transporting goods from point A to point B, the classic VW Transporter disappeared for nearly twenty years in private collections. From 1973 to 1992, the vehicle was owned by various VW enthusiasts.

The last of them tried to sell it in 1992 via a magazine run by the 'Brezelfenstervereinigung e.V.' fan club. It wasn't easy, however, as the T1 was not hot property in the early 1990s. Only after multiple ads were placed later in the year did Tonny L. from Denmark become aware of it.

He called up the seller and bought it sight unseen upon learning on the phone that the vehicle has the lowest chassis number known at that time in the Bulli scene. Tonny L. then drove to Germany and returned home with the T1 on the back of a breakdown truck.

Since the van had been off the road for 19 years, he had a lot of work to do. First, he replaced the essential parts to make it drive again and named it Sofie – the name of the first T1 ever delivered to Denmark.

From 2000 to 2003, the 1950 VW Bus underwent a full restoration, after which Tonny drove it to the VW meet in Bad Camberg, Germany. Together, they covered over 20,000 kilometers (12,400 miles) around Europe, often heading to Bulli meets.

By 2014, however, Tonny decided to sell Sofie as his age didn't allow him to travel as much. He wanted to place the car in good hands and, soon after word got out that he put up for sale the oldest surviving T1, he was contacted by Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles' Classic Vehicles department. In late 2014, the Bulli arrived in Hannover and has since been part of VWCV's collection.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/08/1950-vw-transporter-t1-sofie-is-the-oldest-surviving-in-the-world/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

I might've ridden in one once.  An odd feeling staring down at the road.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

shp4man

Beautiful. Look how straight the sheet metal is. It belongs with VW.  :ohyeah:

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 10, 2020, 08:52:07 AM
I might've ridden in one once.  An odd feeling staring down at the road.

I've ridden in a 1965 T1 camper van. Very comfy, and with all the carpeting the air-cooled engine in the rear is much quieter.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Payman

I recently sat in the driver's seat of one, and looked down at the pedals, and the sheet metal behind the pedals. That's it. That's the crumple zone.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rockraven on August 11, 2020, 07:05:32 AM
I recently sat in the driver's seat of one, and looked down at the pedals, and the sheet metal behind the pedals. That's it. That's the crumple zone.

No, that's just cosmetic; your knees are the crumple zone.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rockraven on August 11, 2020, 07:05:32 AM

That's why a lot of people put the spare tire on the front.

Not sure it helped much, but it made people feel better.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator