Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

FoMoJo

It looks a bit weird.  Like it was stretched.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Ehhhhh. Think y'all are reachin' a bit here.  :hmm:

BimmerM3

Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2018, 05:57:26 PM

Ugly.  Literally a Pilot with a few inches lopped off the rear.

So basically a more rugged CR-V? I see that as a good thing. A very good thing.

Side note and MAJOR pet peeve of mine - why is it so fucking hard to find ground clearance specs on manufacturer's websites? That should literally be the first thing listed in giant text when you click on anything that says "capability" for anything that even pretends to be an off-road vehicle.

Even all the press releases for the Passport just say "up to 1.1 inches more ground clearance than the Pilot!" Well what the fuck does that mean? How much clearance does the Pilot have, and what's the "up to" part mean? (For those who care... looks like the Pilot is 7.3", and the "up to" means 1.1" for AWD and 0.5" FWD Passports, but that information was harder to find than it should have been.)

CALL_911

I gotta say, Honda's names are awesome. Legend, Odyssey, Pilot, Clarity, Accord are all some of the best car names I can think of.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Soup DeVille

I don't know. I'd argue that ground clearance specs are pretty worthless on their own. Its not about how high the closest thing to the ground is, but what that thing is, and where it is.  It makes a world of difference whether you're rubbing a rubber strip, rocker panel trim, the bottom of the gas tank, or the bottom of the diff on a solid axle.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

BimmerM3

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 27, 2018, 09:02:38 PM
I don't know. I'd argue that ground clearance specs are pretty worthless on their own. Its not about how high the closest thing to the ground is, but what that thing is, and where it is.  It makes a world of difference whether you're rubbing a rubber strip, rocker panel trim, the bottom of the gas tank, or the bottom of the diff on a solid axle.

Yes and no. It'd be great if they were even more specific than just general ground clearance (or had a like topo map of the entire undercarriage lol), but for the most part, people driving CUVs to do light off-roading kinda don't really want to scrape on anything. Obviously it's still better to rip off a bumper cover than put a hole in your gas tank, but it's not something you really plan on either way, so while not perfect, it's a pretty good basis for general comparisons. I'm not so worried about every tenth of an inch, but the majority of vehicles with 8" of ground clearance are gonna be able to go more places than vehicles with 7" of ground clearance.

But yeah, once you get into proper 4x4s, especially solid axles, ground clearance alone doesn't mean a whole lot because regardless of how much the rest of the truck is lifted, the only way you're raising that diff is by putting on bigger tires. Plus then you start getting into skid plates for protection.

Soup DeVille

And skidplates, in general, reduce ground clearance when it comes down to it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Galaxy

The VW e-Golf McDrive Edition. Will be sold for charity.

"With the innovative Ambience Control System you can create the ideal mood through the extensive range of music and mood lighting. For example, you can opt for atmospheric sounds from the McDonald's restaurant or experience quiet nature sounds...The interior is based on McDonald's Wood & Stone concept, one of the interior concepts in many restaurants.

12,000 RPM

Hopefully it will come with (very) relaxed bolsters
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

68_427

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 27, 2018, 08:57:34 PM
So basically a more rugged CR-V? I see that as a good thing. A very good thing.

Side note and MAJOR pet peeve of mine - why is it so fucking hard to find ground clearance specs on manufacturer's websites? That should literally be the first thing listed in giant text when you click on anything that says "capability" for anything that even pretends to be an off-road vehicle.

Even all the press releases for the Passport just say "up to 1.1 inches more ground clearance than the Pilot!" Well what the fuck does that mean? How much clearance does the Pilot have, and what's the "up to" part mean? (For those who care... looks like the Pilot is 7.3", and the "up to" means 1.1" for AWD and 0.5" FWD Passports, but that information was harder to find than it should have been.)

No it's a 2 row pilot.

Also dat Lincoln Aviator damnnnnn.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

r0tor

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 27, 2018, 09:47:05 PM
Yes and no. It'd be great if they were even more specific than just general ground clearance (or had a like topo map of the entire undercarriage lol), but for the most part, people driving CUVs to do light off-roading kinda don't really want to scrape on anything. Obviously it's still better to rip off a bumper cover than put a hole in your gas tank, but it's not something you really plan on either way, so while not perfect, it's a pretty good basis for general comparisons. I'm not so worried about every tenth of an inch, but the majority of vehicles with 8" of ground clearance are gonna be able to go more places than vehicles with 7" of ground clearance.

But yeah, once you get into proper 4x4s, especially solid axles, ground clearance alone doesn't mean a whole lot because regardless of how much the rest of the truck is lifted, the only way you're raising that diff is by putting on bigger tires. Plus then you start getting into skid plates for protection.

Skid plates, approach/departure/breakover angles are much more important then a ground clearance number
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Galaxy

12,000 RPM

Yea, real deal

If Ford can improve Lincoln's dealer experience I could see this taking some bites out of the German midsize crossovers.

Has a 450HP/600lb-ft hybrid option. Hopefully this can recover what Ford lost on the Continental
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 28, 2018, 01:24:48 PM
Yea, real deal

If Ford can improve Lincoln's dealer experience I could see this taking some bites out of the German midsize crossovers.

Has a 450HP/600lb-ft hybrid option. Hopefully this can recover what Ford lost on the Continental

The Continenal looks soooo good IRL.  I wish they were everywhere.

Eye of the Tiger

Why don't they put the 3.0 Ecodiesel in a Challenger? Why does FCA hate me?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Galaxy

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 28, 2018, 08:22:25 PM
Why don't they put the 3.0 Ecodiesel in a Challenger? Why does FCA hate me?

The Chrysler 300/300 wagon was available in Europe with a V6 diesel.

93JC

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 28, 2018, 07:55:13 PM
The Continenal looks soooo good IRL.  I wish they were everywhere.

You ever had a seat in one? They are preposterously comfortable.

I saw one last week, remarked to a friend that it's such a shame you don't see them very often, 'cause they are soooooo nice.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 93JC on November 28, 2018, 09:38:54 PM
You ever had a seat in one? They are preposterously comfortable.

I saw one last week, remarked to a friend that it's such a shame you don't see them very often, 'cause they are soooooo nice.

I have not, but I believe it. I saw a decent number of them when I was downstate for Thanksgiving (in the Detroit area, so, duh), but I don't think I've seen any here in da UP yet. Maybe once or twice.

giant_mtb

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/28/kansas-recalls-license-plates-racial-slur/

Kansas is recalling hundreds of vehicle license plates on the streets containing the "JAP" lettering in the wake of complaints pointing out it is an ethnic slur offensive to Japanese Americans.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 29, 2018, 09:21:26 AM
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/28/kansas-recalls-license-plates-racial-slur/

Kansas is recalling hundreds of vehicle license plates on the streets containing the "JAP" lettering in the wake of complaints pointing out it is an ethnic slur offensive to Japanese Americans.

Offensive to Japanese, or offensive to busy body white women?

shp4man

J.A. Prestwitch engines are offensive? Huh..

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on November 29, 2018, 09:28:16 AM
J.A. Prestwitch engines are offensive? Huh..

As well as Jewish American Princesses.

giant_mtb

Johnson knew the license plate wasn't a vanity plate with the offensive slur, and said she thought maybe Kansas officials "just don't know what it means anymore because it was World War II, a couple of generations ago."

Riiiiight, kind of like how nobody knows what The N Word means anymore because slavery was, like, a few generations ago.

cawimmer430

A rival in the same color! Perfect photo opportunity!  :tounge:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Spotted the upcoming FWD BMW 1-Series today!

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

shp4man

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 29, 2018, 11:55:45 AM
A rival in the same color! Perfect photo opportunity!  :tounge:

The MB has a nicer front end design.

2o6

Man, talking about cars in other online car forums is awful.

This guy at another forum I post at sometimes is talking about how FCA is gonna soon off Jeep and that GM or Hyundai needs Jeep.

:wtf:

68_427

Anybody want to PS a cap on the back of this?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on November 29, 2018, 05:49:09 PM
Man, talking about cars in other online car forums is awful.

This guy at another forum I post at sometimes is talking about how FCA is gonna soon off Jeep and that GM or Hyundai needs Jeep.

:wtf:

Jeep will outlive all of them.

Laconian

The Jeep brand always consumes its host.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT