Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 11, 2018, 08:11:48 AM
No, he only got about halfway round. :lol:
:lol::clap:
Quote from: 68_427 on December 11, 2018, 05:41:58 AM
Did you drive the full roval layout?
It was layout with the bigger inside turns (2 instead of 4). They hadn't put up the chicane yet
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: TBR on December 10, 2018, 06:52:24 PM
So Subie was smelling of gas - apparently it was just some lose clamps but they looked at other things and found quite the laundry list. Probably going to be close to $1500 to knock it all off so I think I'm just going to sell it instead.

2004 Outback 5spd with 220k, any thoughts on how much it's worth?

Not enough. If you can do any of the work yourself or find a specialized place that sells them you might save money on the fixes or get more money out of the sale.
Will

TBR

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 11, 2018, 08:07:20 PM
Not enough. If you can do any of the work yourself or find a specialized place that sells them you might save money on the fixes or get more money out of the sale.

Yeah so I am not doing any work myself.

Honestly, my main concern is pricing it so that I can sell it quickly. $500 here or there is just not going to matter nearly as much as me not going having to worry about it once I am back at work after the holidays.

IDK on this - ultimately, it makes sense for me to sell it. But it's gonna be hard to let go. $1200 for the repairs all in, what do you all think?

AutobahnSHO

I sold my 97 with 220k miles, replaced engine, nice big sub/amp for $1200 easily in the end of 2015. Didn't need any work.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TBR on December 11, 2018, 08:27:41 PM

Honestly, my main concern is pricing it so that I can sell it quickly. $500 here or there is just not going to matter nearly as much as me not going having to worry about it once I am back at work after the holidays.

IDK on this - ultimately, it makes sense for me to sell it. But it's gonna be hard to let go. $1200 for the repairs all in, what do you all think?

It's a big repair bill, but selling it and buying a different car is probably worse. Will it be a nice car when it's fixed, or will it just be a fixed piece of junk?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 11, 2018, 08:33:01 PM
Will it be a nice car when it's fixed, or will it just be a fixed piece of junk?

Like with all used vehicles, this is where the crux lies.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 11, 2018, 08:47:44 PM
Like with all used vehicles, this is where the crux lies.

I like fixing pieces of junk. I wouldn't want to pay someone else to have my fun.

TBR

Yeah so going ahead and getting the work done. As much only one car would make sense, just not ready to pull that trigger yet

CaminoRacer

I've put quite a bit of money into my Mazda (vs. it's value on the market) since it just seems to make more sense to pay a couple hundred bucks than buy a new car for $15k. At least for the time being. If the engine or transmission dies, that'll probably be the end.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Mini Coopers are shit to work on. I mean, it's amazing that I got a MAF sensor the same day, but of course they don't even list an O-ring for the vacuum pump. RTV!

shp4man

Our used car guy had to pull a Mini-Cooper engine recently. Let's just say he was in a bad/pissed off mood while he was doing it.  :lol:

12,000 RPM

Are there any engines mechanics enjoy pulling?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 12, 2018, 10:29:13 AM

A SBC out of a square body pickup, maybe.

Laconian

What about cargo vans? Those look like real back killers.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

Quote from: TBR on December 11, 2018, 08:27:41 PM

It's probably a better financial decision to fix and keep it, especially if you don't want to private party sell, but based on the homes you posted in the house thread a bit back, you seem to be doing fairly well financially. Like you mentioned, there's something to be said about owning a vehicle that you don't really have to worry about.

shp4man

Quote from: Laconian on December 12, 2018, 11:02:46 AM

Some have removable noses, others you actually take it out from the bottom. PIA.

Soup DeVille

You take them out from the bottom; except because they're so tall, you can't lift the van up high enough for the motor to clear, which you don't really figure out until the motor is sitting on the floor and still trapped under the van.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

93JC

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 12, 2018, 12:17:40 PM
You take them out from the bottom; except because they're so tall, you can't lift the van up high enough for the motor to clear, which you don't really figure out until the motor is sitting on the floor and still trapped under the van.

Speaking from experience? :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 93JC on December 12, 2018, 12:40:27 PM
Speaking from experience? :lol:

Yes. Took an exhaust header off and rolled it onto its side. Still a PIA.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 12, 2018, 10:29:13 AM

Small engines in big cars. I've done so many Chevy LS V8s that I don't even mind, unless it is 4wd and lifted. And god dammit I hate doing 5.4 Tritons in F-150s.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on December 12, 2018, 10:14:36 AM
Our used car guy had to pull a Mini-Cooper engine recently. Let's just say he was in a bad/pissed off mood while he was doing it.  :lol:
I understand. Just figuring out the logic of the front bumper+radiator support makes me want to set the car on fire.
All of a sudden, I need to buy a 12-point 14mm spark plug socket for this thing? Fuck that. I found a deep 12 point and pulled the plugs out. Trashed. New ones? Not in stock anywhere. Guess what, a used, but still nice set of plugs from a Corolla is the same size, plus I get to use a normal 6-sided socket.

Eye of the Tiger

I replaced a cylinder head on a 305 Chebby van without removing, or even loosening the intake manifold. Ye olde skool mechanic showed me a neat trick with grease on the head gasket, and a big ass pry bar.

MX793

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 12, 2018, 12:56:25 PM
Small engines in big cars. I've done so many Chevy LS V8s that I don't even mind, unless it is 4wd and lifted. And god dammit I hate doing 5.4 Tritons in F-150s.

Ford really shoehorned the big Triton's into the F150.  Changing the rear 2 sparkplugs was notoriously difficult (especially if the threads seized, which they usually did).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MX793 on December 12, 2018, 01:28:08 PM
Ford really shoehorned the big Triton's into the F150.  Changing the rear 2 sparkplugs was notoriously difficult (especially if the threads seized, which they usually did).

Classic Ford

cawimmer430

What would Shaq drive...  :thumbsup:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Morris Minor

Was looking at a review of the new 3-Series.  It's nice but they've had to bloat the front end to comply with new pedestrian impact regulations.
This does not make sense. Surely one advantage of the obesity epidemic is that fat pedestrians have more cushioning and are therefore less likely to be injured when they waddle into your path.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 12, 2018, 07:41:11 PM
Was looking at a review of the new 3-Series.  It's nice but they've had to bloat the front end to comply with new pedestrian impact regulations.
This does not make sense. Surely one advantage of the obesity epidemic is that fat pedestrians have more cushioning and are therefore less likely to be injured when they waddle into your path.

Genesis is MT COTY, and the front is only slightly cushy.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Eye of the Tiger

So this '09 Mini Cooper has a driveability issue; erratic multiple cylinder misfires at idle, stalling in gear (auto), and bogging (lean?) upon throttle application. I replaced the MAF because there was a code for it that came back twice. I replaced spark plugs because they were trashed. I replaced the exhaust VANOS solenoid because there was persistant code for it. I reset the VANOS adaptation and it was in spec, and I reprogrammed the ECM to idle at 800 instead of 700 RPM. Higher idle masks the problem, but it still has the problem. No DTCs except for random misfires. Oxygen sensor information seems useless on this car. 2-3 volts on the upstream sensor, WTF? I have no idea what that means, but it's acting lean, so I manage to find a fuel pressure spec of 70 PSI. I check the test port on the fuel rail and get 50-55 PSI. Weak pump, then. Fine. I'll have it in the morning.

cawimmer430

Whoa. A Renault E-Zoe Sport Concept (electric car)...

I like the Renault Zoe; best-looking electric car in Europe. This is rather aggressive, but wow it's fast.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLDLroMebl0
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie