3D Car Modeling

Started by 2o6, June 12, 2013, 08:52:12 PM

2o6

Recreating something that exists is more of a technical stride rather than an innovation stride

2o6

2o6

I meant for this to be a hybrid. Then I kept looking at the Crosstour and ZDX and now I made this weird little cross coupe thingy.

I've been drawing a lot lately. More interior sketches and dashboards

2o6

I took a 3D modeling class (which I got an A in) and I've really been pushing my neatness and rendering quality up with better shaders and lighting.

I'll post more on these projects later

AutobahnSHO

I like the purple one. Red looks like legit car. Last ones look way euro...
Will

Payman

Raza

The purple one and the blue one both look great.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

I coulda sworn I posted this here

but this model is basically done. I'm trying to model and get better at interiors, but the car is kinda old so I don't want to put energy in it

Quote from: 2o6;476273Aviva has had a name change, and all future Aviva models will be branded "Touox" as well as a new, more conservative styling language.

The Activa is a new sedan, sort of a long, more mechanically robust, more conservative, comfort-based Compact sedan. The Sedan is slightly bigger than cars like the Ford Focus, but not as big as the Mondeo/Fusion. It's a half step car, sort of the same size as the Hyundai Mistra.

In fact, this car goes against many Chinese models such as the Hyundai Mistra, Kia K4, VW Lavida, VW Bora and many others.

Certain markets will get a hatchback or wagon, but the sedan will be the leader in markets like China, Russia, and parts of Eastern and Western Europe. In places like the UK, this car will be primarily a fleet model, coming in one trim.

Power comes from a GDI 1.5L that produces around 135HP, and an upgraded 1.5L turbo that is closer to 165HP. Power goes to the front wheels via a CVT auto or a 6-speed manual. Certain markets will get a cheaper to make 1.8L (no GDI) engine that produces 142HP, mated to a a 6MT or 4-speed auto, again.

Sedan

Hatchback

Wagon

Also, included is the first use of the Touox-Aviva-Iagei AG FWD modular platform. all platforms have MacPhearson struts up front, and can handle either multilink, solid axle, or twist axle (torsion beam) rear suspensions. AWD is possible on this platform as well, and the chassis is primarily designed for C, D and E segments, although some pieces and design is shared with the smaller A and B segment cars.

The Activa uses a torsion-beam rear axle.

Comparison

-------------

CaminoRacer

Windshield is like a Bubbletop Impala, but on the sides instead of the top.

Bubbleside.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

I'm trying to rig this up for BeamNG.

Here's the Trendsetter, a low-cost A-segment car that is more style over substance. Competes with like the Maruti Suzuki Ritz, and other cars like the Ford Figo, and upper trims of the Hyundai Eon, Renault Kwid, etc.

I have a less sophisticated two-box design coming soon.

Power comes from a small 3-cylinder making like 48HP, and "High output" versions that make 80HP.

2o6

I've been busy with school.

But here's a "lineup" with the cars I've done. You can see the size differences.

shp4man

You may not want my input, seeings how I think the pinnacle of auto design is the '59 Chevy or the '60 Falcon  ;), but this vehicle:

may have some merit.
The door sides of it haven't really been addressed before and are actually an original idea.    :ohyeah:  Plus , they would be strong from an engineering viewpoint.

Dude, lose the wide A pillar ridiculousness, and this may be a winner.

That said, I hate modern cars... ;)

2o6

I've really been focusing on modeling and pushing up the realism. Trying to put this into a portfolio piece

I'm probably gonna put more detail in the front headlights.

Here's the interior

2o6

Sometimes I look at my old models. And I understand the ergonomic fails etc

But sometimes I like reworking and revising them with my new skills. I took this old thing and remade it into an electric car. After accounting for seating real people, some sembalance of aerodynamics, and suspension articulation, it wouldn't be able to do things like, hold a real engine. Well, it could. But I prefer to think the weird styling would work better as an electric city car; like a Bolt or a Renault ZOE.

2o6

2o6

All the links are broken.

However, I have REALLY been refining this A-segment trendsetter for my portfolio

I've also been working on keeping a clean polyflow and realistic proportions and I came up with (yet another) b-segment sedan. It's sort of Nissan Versa crossed with an Alfa Giulia.

I also wanted more realistic looking things for my background renders and sometimes my other cars look a little cartoon-y with realistic houses

2o6

Also I put colorado plates on the car to increase realism

cawimmer430

Is that a computer program? The pictures look like you had these cars "printed" via a 3D printer, and then took photos of your creation. Cool!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

2o6

I have REALLY REALLY REALLY been pushing realism.

Cars look a lot more boring when you really start considering realism.

Here's a B-segment sedan and hatchback. I'm really working on smoothing and lighting and reflections.

I also remodeled the City car, and gave it

- More tumblehome (the sides were awkwardly upright)

- Smoother reflections

- Changed the beltline; now it doesn't ascend so fast and is smoother doing so. The old car would have had terrible visibility

- Changed the rear window to a swing out type

- Lowered the lift-over for the all-glass rear hatch

- Shrank the wheels (a little)

- made the hood larger

That roofline comes together to meet the doors a little strangely, but still I'm digging what I'm doing ATM.

Here's a good gauge of the length differences between the cars

2o6

lol here's some stuff when I FIRST started modeling

MrH

Ah, the good old days!  I miss those melted crayon cars.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

IG filters are a lazy way of processing images.

Here they are, not so compressed, after post-processing in Photoshop.

So i've been really been focusing on render and modeling quality, (I graduate University in a few weeks!) and here's the concept I came up with, I changed the name to "cycloid" and "Cycloid Ontario" for the sedan model.

The hatchback is shorter, and has a few more high-dollar 'on trend' pieces such as a floating or multi colored roof.

The sedan is cheaper.

2o6

OK I should really start making racier vehicles, but these are more stock models for the backgrounds of the buildings I make.

Here's a C-segment sedan and C-segment "Chinese" sedan.

One is more racy, the other is focused on ease of manufacturing and comfort.

ChrisV

Looking good! Paint is hard in 3D. Here's one I'm working on:

Getting paint, reflections and specularity to hit right is a challenge. Here it is without a BG:

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

2o6

Quote from: ChrisV on November 30, 2017, 09:27:30 AM
Looking good! Paint is hard in 3D. Here's one I'm working on:

Getting paint, reflections and specularity to hit right is a challenge. Here it is without a BG:

Nifty! Your polygon flow looks really good. What program is this?

You can fix a lot of problems in post, but not everything.

ChrisV

I'm using Lightwave 3D. Usually for architectural renders, but it does OK with cars, too.

2o6

I don't know what kind of shaders that Lightwave has. Blender is pretty robust in the shader and lighting department, but I don't know a thing about Lightwave.

You do a lot of architectural rendering?

ChrisV

yeah, that's what I've been doing for a living since 2001 (been using LW since '92):

CaminoRacer

Y'all need to have a GTG.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

Quote from: ChrisV on November 30, 2017, 01:03:56 PM
yeah, that's what I've been doing for a living since 2001 (been using LW since '92):

What a funny coincidence. I am actually graduating from school in two weeks, and a lot of my portfolio has been me trying to get into the ArchViz and interior design space.

Any tips?

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 30, 2017, 01:31:18 PM
Y'all need to have a GTG.

Hm.