Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Eye of the Tiger

Fiesta gets 47 MPG highway. Shoulds bota Fooord.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on August 05, 2019, 07:47:19 PM

I don't think you could ever get a 1.6L Elantra in the USA. You could get a 1.8L tho

Might be thinking of the 1.8 in the last generation.  I have zero interest in the Korean econo cars, so I don't follow them closely.  They have a bad reputation WRT corrosion, so I'd never buy one as a winter runabout.  I periodically get stuck with them as rentals.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 05, 2019, 07:50:27 PM
Fiesta gets 47 MPG highway. Shoulds bota Fooord.

Scrappy gets in the low 20s. Should gone nicer on the gas pedal...
Will

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 06, 2019, 05:26:24 AM
Scrappy gets in the low 20s. Should gone nicer on the gas pedal...

Dakota gets 17-19. So efficient.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 07, 2019, 04:57:22 AM
Yes, it was her not me
You traded the Optima?  Exactly what did you get, what engine?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Typical narrow roads in Munich. And there are plenty of these around, especially in older residential areas. That Audi A6 Avant sure takes up a lot of space due to its width. Now imagine if some bozo decides to park here with a fat and wide SUV...

Try driving through here in a Toyota Camry or Avalon. My A-Class couldn't even drive through here, or at the very least I'd end up with scratched wheels.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

NomisR

Isn't that Renault van 3 cars back even wider?  wouldn't you just drive on the sidewalk?

cawimmer430

Quote from: NomisR on August 07, 2019, 02:47:59 PM
Isn't that Renault van 3 cars back even wider?  wouldn't you just drive on the sidewalk?

That's a Renault Trafic van and it's definitely wider.

Technically, it would be illegal for a car to pass through here with one half of it on the sidewalk. Technically. I am sure that if a police officer caught someone in this situation they'd give them a pass. Or not. The fine is 10 Euros according to: https://www.bussgeldkatalog.org/gehweg-befahren/

Still, doesn't change the fact that in many German cities we have such narrow roads. In this situation I think it would be helpful to keep this a parking-free zone. But that's another problem - a lack of parking spots for the people who live such areas.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 07, 2019, 10:06:15 AM
You traded the Optima?  Exactly what did you get, what engine?
I think I just have to make a thread

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 08, 2019, 04:50:33 AM
I think I just have to make a thread

Well.... Of course! :lol:
Will

r0tor

Oh how I love car insurance...

Them - Ok sir, you have a clean driving record with us for over 20 years so your policy will not increase from the parking lot incident.

Me - Great

Them - However since it's an at fault accident you will probably lose your self driving discount of $200 for 5 years.

Me - So my insurance is going up from the result of the 2mph "crash" that I could not have prevented despite 20 years of no incidents

Them - No sir, it's not your policy increasing... Just losing your discount

Me - So I will be paying more money

Them - Yes, but it's only the loss of a discount

WTF
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

RomanChariot

Quote from: r0tor on August 09, 2019, 01:05:52 PM
Oh how I love car insurance...

Them - Ok sir, you have a clean driving record with us for over 20 years so your policy will not increase from the parking lot incident.

Me - Great

Them - However since it's an at fault accident you will probably lose your self driving discount of $200 for 5 years.

Me - So my insurance is going up from the result of the 2mph "crash" that I could not have prevented despite 20 years of no incidents

Them - No sir, it's not your policy increasing... Just losing your discount

Me - So I will be paying more money

Them - Yes, but it's only the loss of a discount

WTF

The insurance company always wins. If you don't have any claims they make money from you and slowly raise your rates every year. If you make a claim they increase your costs (loss of discounts, rate increase, etc.) and you slowly pay back the money they lost.

Eye of the Tiger

NomisR

160 hp at 1700lb, you would expect it to go 0-60 in less than 10 secs.

CaminoRacer

Probably has compromised gearing due to lower # of transmission gears and overdrives.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 10, 2019, 09:28:30 AM
Probably has compromised gearing due to lower # of transmission gears and overdrives.

Yeah, some modern tires would probably help too.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NomisR on August 10, 2019, 09:18:29 AM
160 hp at 1700lb, you would expect it to go 0-60 in less than 10 secs.

That's 160 Gross HP. And that's "up to" with the stage V engine.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

:wub:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcxHnlmsThc

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

You know that universal clunking sound that is used on TV to signify the breakdown of a car's engine? Well I have literally never heard that sound in real life, except when driving through a pothole.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

MX793

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 12, 2019, 06:58:41 PM
You know that universal clunking sound that is used on TV to signify the breakdown of a car's engine? Well I have literally never heard that sound in real life, except when driving through a pothole.

I've heard that sound after throwing a rod.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

The Original "Bullitt" Mustang Is Headed to Auction

The younger Kiernan told us last year that "the goal will always be to have it in my family... That's the goal. It always has been. It always will be." But things evidently have changed.

Changed his mind. :huh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJZ-BHBKyos

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 12, 2019, 06:58:41 PM

When the carb on the eldo broke, it would make a very similar sound as it dieseled to a stop.

You've actually piqued my interest though, and I wonder of that sound is an automotive equivalent of the Wilhelm Scream.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on August 12, 2019, 08:06:52 PM
I've heard that sound after throwing a rod.
What car? 

It happened twice on a '51 Chevy my brothers and I were driving.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 15, 2019, 11:59:15 AM
When the carb on the eldo broke, it would make a very similar sound as it dieseled to a stop.

You've actually piqued my interest though, and I wonder of that sound is an automotive equivalent of the Wilhelm Scream.

It sounds like two coconuts banging together.