Rental Car thread

Started by Laconian, February 27, 2017, 08:50:47 PM

AutobahnSHO

+1. Auto with no power is the worst.
Will

mzziaz

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 21, 2019, 12:10:58 PM
5 speed manual might make the most sense in a car with low HP, actually. If you need to keep the revs up a bit on the highway to keep up with traffic, having 2 overdrive gears might be worthless. If the 5 speed weighs a bit less, costs a bit less, and performs just as well, then why not?

Maybe you are right. Fifth gear was also pretty tall. Ø
Cuore Sportivo

12,000 RPM

I don't know how or why, but ~80HP in Europe didn't feel slow to me. And that was back when my only ride was a motorcycle with 10 less HP.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

mzziaz

Small, light cars and manual transmission.
Cuore Sportivo

Xer0

Quote from: mzziaz on July 22, 2019, 06:46:30 AM
Small, light cars and manual transmission.

I think its more that every other car is also equally slow and in general the streets are smaller, more narrow, and not as straight as the average street in the States.  You bring the 75hp i20 I had into Chicago where everything on the road has at minimum twice the HP and it will totally feel slow.

Xer0

2018 Honda Accord Sport 1.5T.

I had a 650 mile round trip journey to Detroit this weekend and since my dad was in Greece for the summer, I decided to take his Accord since it was larger, quieter, and much more fuel economical than my Si.  So I guess not technically a rental but I had it long enough to make some opinions.

From the front facing angels, I think this thing looks fantastic and way better than in pictures.  The long, wide, and low hood give it a decent presence that's both sporty and classy.  Those ridiculous rims bring it all together to make the car look more upmarket than it actually is.  From the front at least.  No idea what happened with the rear but it looks so boring.  Is it a hatch or isn't it?  Why does it need massive, fake chrome exhausts?  What's up with the lobster claw tail lights?  The little lip spoiler is probably the only thing about the rear that I actually like.

Moving on to the interior and I have no issues with it.  Its clean, its easy to use, and it looks good.  There's this nice fake carbon fiber trim that accents the dashboard that doesn't look like ass, unlike in my Si.  The seats are comfy with decent bolstering and are in this suede/leatherette material that looks super nice and feels good.  Everything you touch is soft and padded with the hard plastic being reserved for areas that you normally wouldn't go to.  The infotainment is easy to use and there are dials for everything so you're not menu hopping too much.  Apple Car play is also awesome and I wish I had it.  I didn't spend anytime in the backseat but I've been there before and its pretty comfy.  Trunk is big too.

The performance of the car was pretty good.  The main reason I took this thing instead of driving my Si was because of the fuel economy and I averaged a smidge under 38 using regular fuel so it saved me a lot of money.  It was reasonably quick too with no real issues in acceleration or passing, although there was a bit of lag down low which I'm not sure if it's the engine or transmission but it was noticeable either way.  Speaking of the transmission, it's a CVT and it was totally fine and it didn't make itself known most of the time anyway.  I think I felt engine braking once which confused me but assumed it was all of the safety nannies so just went on with my life.  Handling was also really good for a mainstream sedan and the car is pretty quiet for a Honda.  This thing is the Sport model and it doesn't have adaptive dampers which honestly I'm not sure it needs, although there were a couple times where the suspension felt needlessly harsh and loud over some cracked pavement.  It didn't happen often but when it did it was noticeable.  Brakes kinda suck though, but that's a Honda thing at this point.

I briefly mentioned safety nannies earlier but this thing has active cruise control, lane keep assist, driver attention monitoring, Forward Collision Warning, Collision Mitigation Braking System, and probably a half dozen other random acronyms that do stuff.  For the first 100 miles or so I had all of them on and was just annoyed by random beeps, pings, and slight tugs of the wheel.  They aren't hard to find when you know what you're looking for, but if you don't all you see is ACC, LKAS, FCW, etc littered around the steering wheel and menus and have to guess at what does what.  After I bit I started to turn the cruise control and lane keep assist on but kept the rest of the stuff off.  On a two lane highway with little traffic, Active Cruise Control and Lane Keep Asist are amazing.  Its freaky at first and a little scary, but having the car take care of the mundane task of keeping you in your lane while you're on mile 230 of a flat, mostly straight, and completely boring midwestern highway is great.  You're not as tired and have time to open up bags of chips/jerky and drink whatever you have on hand.  Do not recommend it when you start hitting big cities and traffic heats up though and I'm surprised there aren't any major lawsuits of accidents happening because people relied on these systems in heavy traffic.

Anyway, overall I can't imagine a better car for the money being sold in the States.  Its big and roomy, but performs well and gets excellent fuel economy while still being comfy.  Its no Mazda 6 in terms of styling, but it still looks great most of the time.  The stupid wheel/tire package is a pain to replace, the OEM Goodyears are like $200 a tire, but it brings the whole thing together so its okay.   Honestly, I imagine the 2.0T Accord makes base A4/320s kinda obsolete.  The FWD A4 especially is probably DOA.

afty

I really like the current Accord.  Somehow it looks much better than it has any right to.  The 2.0T with the manual seems like a great choice for a daily driver.

CaminoRacer

Yeah, it's seems like a fantastic roadtrip car.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 27, 2019, 02:26:33 PM
Yeah, it's seems like a fantastic roadtrip car.

So does a 1985 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

Good review

Waiting for Acura version with AWD and hopefully a 6 popper. But the Accord is amazing for what it is. Though on FB groups all the tech does seem a little problematic.

MrH

Quote from: Xer0 on August 27, 2019, 01:10:12 PM

I had a 650 mile round trip journey to Detroit this weekend and since my dad was in Greece for the summer, I decided to take his Accord since it was larger, quieter, and much more fuel economical than my Si.  So I guess not technically a rental but I had it long enough to make some opinions.

From the front facing angels, I think this thing looks fantastic and way better than in pictures.  The long, wide, and low hood give it a decent presence that's both sporty and classy.  Those ridiculous rims bring it all together to make the car look more upmarket than it actually is.  From the front at least.  No idea what happened with the rear but it looks so boring.  Is it a hatch or isn't it?  Why does it need massive, fake chrome exhausts?  What's up with the lobster claw tail lights?  The little lip spoiler is probably the only thing about the rear that I actually like.

Moving on to the interior and I have no issues with it.  Its clean, its easy to use, and it looks good.  There's this nice fake carbon fiber trim that accents the dashboard that doesn't look like ass, unlike in my Si.  The seats are comfy with decent bolstering and are in this suede/leatherette material that looks super nice and feels good.  Everything you touch is soft and padded with the hard plastic being reserved for areas that you normally wouldn't go to.  The infotainment is easy to use and there are dials for everything so you're not menu hopping too much.  Apple Car play is also awesome and I wish I had it.  I didn't spend anytime in the backseat but I've been there before and its pretty comfy.  Trunk is big too.

The performance of the car was pretty good.  The main reason I took this thing instead of driving my Si was because of the fuel economy and I averaged a smidge under 38 using regular fuel so it saved me a lot of money.  It was reasonably quick too with no real issues in acceleration or passing, although there was a bit of lag down low which I'm not sure if it's the engine or transmission but it was noticeable either way.  Speaking of the transmission, it's a CVT and it was totally fine and it didn't make itself known most of the time anyway.  I think I felt engine braking once which confused me but assumed it was all of the safety nannies so just went on with my life.  Handling was also really good for a mainstream sedan and the car is pretty quiet for a Honda.  This thing is the Sport model and it doesn't have adaptive dampers which honestly I'm not sure it needs, although there were a couple times where the suspension felt needlessly harsh and loud over some cracked pavement.  It didn't happen often but when it did it was noticeable.  Brakes kinda suck though, but that's a Honda thing at this point.

I briefly mentioned safety nannies earlier but this thing has active cruise control, lane keep assist, driver attention monitoring, Forward Collision Warning, Collision Mitigation Braking System, and probably a half dozen other random acronyms that do stuff.  For the first 100 miles or so I had all of them on and was just annoyed by random beeps, pings, and slight tugs of the wheel.  They aren't hard to find when you know what you're looking for, but if you don't all you see is ACC, LKAS, FCW, etc littered around the steering wheel and menus and have to guess at what does what.  After I bit I started to turn the cruise control and lane keep assist on but kept the rest of the stuff off.  On a two lane highway with little traffic, Active Cruise Control and Lane Keep Asist are amazing.  Its freaky at first and a little scary, but having the car take care of the mundane task of keeping you in your lane while you're on mile 230 of a flat, mostly straight, and completely boring midwestern highway is great.  You're not as tired and have time to open up bags of chips/jerky and drink whatever you have on hand.  Do not recommend it when you start hitting big cities and traffic heats up though and I'm surprised there aren't any major lawsuits of accidents happening because people relied on these systems in heavy traffic.

Anyway, overall I can't imagine a better car for the money being sold in the States.  Its big and roomy, but performs well and gets excellent fuel economy while still being comfy.  Its no Mazda 6 in terms of styling, but it still looks great most of the time.  The stupid wheel/tire package is a pain to replace, the OEM Goodyears are like $200 a tire, but it brings the whole thing together so its okay.   Honestly, I imagine the 2.0T Accord makes base A4/320s kinda obsolete.  The FWD A4 especially is probably DOA.

I'm surprised you like the seats.  I've put almost 21k miles on mine, and still can't find a comfortable driving position.  Other than that, the car is pretty awesome.  2.0t + 10 speed auto is serious performer.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on August 28, 2019, 09:36:59 AM
I'm surprised you like the seats.  I've put almost 21k miles on mine, and still can't find a comfortable driving position.  Other than that, the car is pretty awesome.  2.0t + 10 speed auto is serious performer.

Is there anything in particular that are wrong with the seats?

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 28, 2019, 10:49:59 AM
Is there anything in particular that are wrong with the seats?

Lumbar support is an issue.  It's like the lumber pad isn't nearly big enough.  Whole thing is a bit too soft and not enough support in the back.

The ergonomics are all weird though.  If I set the seat what's comfortable for my legs, but arms are basically locked out in front of me and my shoulders start cramping after awhile from having my shoulder blades shifted so far forward.  If I move the seat to where it's comfortable for reach, my legs are cramped up and nearly hitting the dash.

Whole thing is a driving position mess.  The S2000 is much more comfortable to drive from that regard.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Rental car tomorrow. What will it be? Maybe I'll ask if they have any special dealz on luxury upgrades.

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on September 23, 2019, 09:51:08 PM
Rental car tomorrow. What will it be? Maybe I'll ask if they have any special dealz on luxury upgrades.

Can you upgrade to a Mustang or something sporty like that?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on September 23, 2019, 09:51:08 PM

See if you can get a Doge Journey. Simply the best.

12,000 RPM

I think they are discontinuing them soon- get one before they're gone forever :(

Morris Minor

Quote from: Xer0 on August 27, 2019, 01:10:12 PM

Couple of things on the Honda.
On my CR-V the CVT pulls unevenly under brisk acceleration. If you've got your foot say 2/3rds down to merge onto a highway, you can feel slight dips and bumps in the acceleration rate.

Also - with the ACC. It uses the brakes way too much to maintain distance from the car in front. So the people behind see your brake lights going on & off the whole time. Which I know is very annoying. Constantly touching the brakes is a marker for driver incompetence and that you're following too close. Normal people know how to maintain distance by anticipating... and adjusting the throttle, and only braking when needed.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 24, 2019, 07:17:18 AM
I think they are discontinuing them soon- get one before they're gone forever :(

Yeah. +1!

Laconian

I hope I get an EcoSport. India's finest. Err, I mean.. UHMERICA :neverforget:

Speed_Racer

Not a rental per se, but I've been using my parent's Tundra for the month while they're in town en route to AZ. I'm using it to get some house projects done that require transporting large or messy items.

Pros:
It's nice not having to dodge potholes anymore
Relaxing ride, smooth and quiet while cruising
Feels solid despite having spent nearly all of its 40k mile life towing a camper
Love having a bed. Large, messy, awkwardly sized? Just throw it in the back.

Cons:
Unnecessarily large to be an everyday vehicle for me. I would hate commuting in this.
Doesn't fit in the garage
I don't want to know the gas mileage

CaminoRacer

Wow that's really tall and not even lifted

Laconian

I win. Model S 70D. Fuck this thing is fast.

Like, really really fast. Whiplash fast.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on September 24, 2019, 07:30:26 PM

That's a rental now?

Speed_Racer

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 24, 2019, 03:54:17 PM
Wow that's really tall and not even lifted

It's a big boi for sure. It feels cartoonish when driving it - tall wide seats, big climate knobs, chunky door handles.

afty

Quote from: Laconian on September 24, 2019, 07:30:26 PM

Haha! You're going to end up buying a Model 3. It is your destiny.

Laconian

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 24, 2019, 07:35:49 PM
That's a rental now?

Yes. Emerald Aisle only had cargo vans left so I asked for a deal on an upgrayedd. $50/day.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on September 24, 2019, 10:49:58 PM
Yes. Emerald Aisle only had cargo vans left so I asked for a deal on an upgrayedd. $50/day.

Man, dude, I would have gone with the cargo van, and thrown a mattress in the back.

Laconian

Your dreams can come true too, on the Emerald Aisle!