Changing tire sizes?

Started by Laconian, July 24, 2019, 07:18:36 PM

Galaxy

Michelin CrossClimate SUV is available in 225 -60 R18. It is rated as an all season tire that goes beyond M+S with the Snowflake symbol.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on July 25, 2019, 07:57:41 AM
Struggling to wrap my head around why you would want to put truck tires with a highway tread on an Outback.  In terms of grip, a highway tread M+S truck tire won't really perform any better than an M+S all-season passenger tire.  They use similar tread patterns, so it's not like you get a more open, grabbier tread pattern.  What the truck tire gets you is a more heavily reinforced casing with extra radial belts designed to deal with heavier loads that a truck or cargo van may carry.  This also typically results in a stiffer tire that will compromise ride quality on a passenger vehicle.  You also tend to pay more for the higher load rated construction.  Unless you are hauling/towing, I'd stick with a passenger tire.
Agreed, any all seasons in the stock size should do.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

I like heavy truck tires because I can blow through potholes drift into curbs without being put out.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

shp4man

Speaking of truck tires, I need to replace the tires on Blue. I'm thinking 700x15LT 6 ply commercial tires like the ones it came with.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on July 25, 2019, 01:44:12 PM
Speaking of truck tires, I need to replace the tires on Blue. I'm thinking 700x15LT 6 ply commercial tires like the ones it came with.

I bet you can find some nice bias ply trailer tires with whit walls. :lol:

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on July 24, 2019, 10:25:12 PM
How the hell do I know what my rim size and offset are?

Offset doesn't matter if you're keeping the same wheels. You can get the wheel size from that site too.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

I feel like the added width + aggressive truck tire is really going to destroy fuel economy. I mean, it doesn't really snow in Seattle, and how often do you really go up to ski in the mountains?

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on July 25, 2019, 05:06:05 PM
I feel like the added width + aggressive truck tire is really going to destroy fuel economy. I mean, it doesn't really snow in Seattle, and how often do you really go up to ski in the mountains?

There's nothing particularly aggressive about a highway tread.  They're designed to give better fuel economy than an A/T tire for people who don't got off road with their trucks.  Basically the type of tire you get on a cargo van like a full size Transit.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Got the CrossClimates ordered for 185 a tire from Discount Tire Co. Not bad :mrcool:

TireRack wanted $215 per tire.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Discount Tire is the only tire shop that I like as much as I like Tire Rack.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Maybe it's just the fact that they're new, but my initial impression of the CrossClimates is that they drive really nicely. The tires bite in hard and quickly when I make a turn. Previously, there was a certain amount of scrubbing before the car would start to change direction.

Laconian

Lovely, lovely tires. Oh boy. Very quiet on the freeway, with almost scarily low rolling resistance. Tire roar is gone, replaced by wind buffeting. I can't wait to rack up some a statistically significant number of miles so that I can compare average fuel economy with the previous tires.

12,000 RPM

Takes about half a year to really see with the season change and gas blend switching

Hopefully you see an improvement

I am absolutely loving getting 30-40% better gas mileage in the TLX... to the point that I'm hesitant to throw the 20s from the Optima on

Laconian

r0tor

Good to hear the crossclimates worked.

I'm completely stump on what to put on the Giulia when the time comes. Really no other choice if I stay with an all season run flat.  While I drove the RX8 with no spare and no run flats, the though of a flat on my daily commute is frightening with high speeds and no real shoulder to the highway.  Tons of choices for dedicated summer and winter tires though.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on August 08, 2019, 02:01:09 PM

I'm completely stump on what to put on the Giulia when the time comes. Really no other choice if I stay with an all season run flat.  While I drove the RX8 with no spare and no run flats, the though of a flat on my daily commute is frightening with high speeds and no real shoulder to the highway.  Tons of choices for dedicated summer and winter tires though.

R compound. Resistance is futile. Mileage is irrelevant. Weather is irrelevant

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on August 08, 2019, 02:01:09 PM

Get some real tires and a fix a flat kit