Alpina Is Strongly Against Imposing Speed Limits On All Autobahns

Started by cawimmer430, August 11, 2019, 08:28:07 AM

RomanChariot

I watched a police officer here in Utah pull up behind a left lane camper and turn his lights on. The guy changed one lane to the right and waited to see if the officer was going to pass. When the officer changed lanes with him the guy gradually moved over to the far right lane at which time the police officer moved to the left and passed him. Hopefully the guy got the hint.

NomisR

I wish there was a law for that in CA, because i would see people driving in the left lane while going 45 fucking MPH.  I would actively honk at them while passing to show my dissatisfaction

12,000 RPM

Yea I have stopped flashing and honking left lane campers, its just not worth not making it home to my family here
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 16, 2019, 08:08:01 PM
Yea I have stopped flashing and honking left lane campers, its just not worth not making it home to my family here

Somehow, a flash of the lights or tooot of the horn results in homocidal road rage far too often. I will never understand it. Just drive.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 16, 2019, 09:16:38 PM
Somehow, a flash of the lights or tooot of the horn results in homocidal road rage far too often. I will never understand it. Just drive.

+1 dummies are sometimes dangerous dummies.
Will

r0tor

This is 'murica... You should feel safer when the idiot that just cut you off then points a gun at you
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

cawimmer430

We have our share of left lane campers nowadays. I'm telling you the German driving schools ain't what they used to be. And the highway patrol seems to do nothing about it.  :frown:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

It's less the school's fault and more highway patrol's lack of enforcement.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 20, 2019, 06:53:31 AM
It's less the school's fault and more highway patrol's lack of enforcement.

Well it is the job of the driving schools to teach people the rules of the Autobahn. And the rules are clear; the Autobahn is essentially a one-lane-road, of which the left lane(s) are to only be used to overtake. It's that simple.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

NomisR

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 20, 2019, 10:01:33 AM
Well it is the job of the driving schools to teach people the rules of the Autobahn. And the rules are clear; the Autobahn is essentially a one-lane-road, of which the left lane(s) are to only be used to overtake. It's that simple.

I get it, but i feel like this is really a German way of thinking with regard to rules I mean.   :lol:

CaminoRacer

Once a certain level of traffic is reached, left lane campers are inevitable no matter how much training the drivers have. It's simply an organization problem and not solved well by individual humans.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

BimmerM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 20, 2019, 10:56:37 AM
Once a certain level of traffic is reached, left lane campers are inevitable no matter how much training the drivers have. It's simply an organization problem and not solved well by individual humans.

Sure at some point, but I definitely see a lot of left lane campers in situations where they really are blocking traffic. And they usually seem to have no idea that what they're doing is wrong.

I think the bigger issue is that it only takes one left lane camper to screw up traffic for an entire roadway.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 20, 2019, 10:01:33 AM
I'm sure people know the rules of the road. But with no enforcement they have little reason to follow them. Its on highway police. We have the same exact problem here.

NomisR

Quote from: BimmerM3 on August 20, 2019, 11:39:02 AM
Sure at some point, but I definitely see a lot of left lane campers in situations where they really are blocking traffic. And they usually seem to have no idea that what they're doing is wrong.

I think the bigger issue is that it only takes one left lane camper to screw up traffic for an entire roadway.

I feel like latter is usually the case.  Lane campers creating a traffic situation which compounds itself. 

CaminoRacer

Quote from: BimmerM3 on August 20, 2019, 11:39:02 AM

Quote from: NomisR on August 20, 2019, 11:45:15 AM
I feel like latter is usually the case.  Lane campers creating a traffic situation which compounds itself. 

I never see anyone going under 70 in the left lane here in Utah, which is the speed limit. I highly doubt people going the speed limit (instead of speeding) is creating traffic jams. Maybe it's different in other places, but that's my observations here.

BimmerM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 20, 2019, 02:54:45 PM
I never see anyone going under 70 in the left lane here in Utah, which is the speed limit. I highly doubt people going the speed limit (instead of speeding) is creating traffic jams. Maybe it's different in other places, but that's my observations here.

Definitely different in other areas. :lol:

IMO, the left lane campers who are going exactly the speed limit are usually self-righteous assholes who think they're performing some sort of public service by preventing speeders. But really they're making the road more dangerous as faster drivers have to weave around them and pass on the right.

That said, I think the people who piss me off the most are moderately fast drivers who have to pass the really slow people on the right, but then get back in the left lane to cruise even when the right lane is open. Like... you JUST had to go around someone else... why would you make other people do the same thing???????

RomanChariot

If all lanes go the speed limit it is really hard to change lanes in congested traffic. Changing lanes is easier if there is a speed differential between each lane. Maybe there should be graduated speed limit difference from slow lane on the right to fast lane on the left with the speed limit increasing by 5mph from lane to lane.

NomisR

Definitely a problem in California.  The freeway near where I live is a 4 lane + 1 HOV lane each way so total 10 lanes where a section of it is going up hill.  On the uphill section, you would see people camping in the left lane, sometimes going significantly under 65 mph (limit)  yet refuses to move over. 

CaminoRacer

Quote from: BimmerM3 on August 20, 2019, 03:07:19 PM
IMO, the left lane campers who are going exactly the speed limit are usually self-righteous assholes who think they're performing some sort of public service by preventing speeders. But really they're making the road more dangerous as faster drivers have to weave around them and pass on the right.

I've also never really seen that. Most campers seem to just be oblivious. I'm not sure how you would determine they were doing it on purpose.

CaminoRacer

The biggest problem I see in Utah is people getting on the freeway and immediately merging into the 2 left-most lanes for no reason. There can be absolutely no one in front of them in the right lanes and they'll still move to the left. They don't hold people up behind them, but they're on the left when they don't need to be.

Or they'll change lanes from one middle lane to another middle lane for no reason (no one in front of them, obviously not passing anyone or needing to get off at an upcoming exit)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 20, 2019, 04:12:30 PM
The biggest problem I see in Utah is people getting on the freeway and immediately merging into the 2 left-most lanes for no reason. There can be absolutely no one in front of them in the right lanes and they'll still move to the left. They don't hold people up behind them, but they're on the left when they don't need to be.

Or they'll change lanes from one middle lane to another middle lane for no reason (no one in front of them, obviously not passing anyone or needing to get off at an upcoming exit)

Totally fucktarded people. What the hell is going through theor heads?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 20, 2019, 04:07:00 PM
I've also never really seen that. Most campers seem to just be oblivious. I'm not sure how you would determine they were doing it on purpose.

After you finally pass them they chase you down and try to murder you.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 20, 2019, 11:43:04 AM
I'm sure people know the rules of the road. But with no enforcement they have little reason to follow them. Its on highway police. We have the same exact problem here.

Pretty much. In the past if the police caught you not following the driving rules you would often be forced to go back to driving school and learn about your mistake(s). It was mandatory. I have no idea if this is still done today. My guess would be no given how horrible the driving quality here has become.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Installed this game on my iPad last night. It's called Driving Zone Germany and you can have fun speeding in a "German town" or on the "Autobahn" at different times and seasons (winter etc.). Race tracks are available but you need to "pay" to drive on them.

You can only drive German cars and the only car you can drive at the beginning is a classic Volkswagen Beetle. As you make more money you can "upgrade" to a piece of crap Opel Vectra from the 1990s, and then an E30 BMW 3er. So far I've bought the Opel Vectra, BMW E30 and BMW E34 5er. Manual or automatic transmissions are available for all cars, though the controls are crap so you are better off with the automatic. You can customize your car color and you can select the drivetrain layout for your car - AWD, FWD or RWD. So you can literally make your E30 3er FWD or your classic Beetle AWD. Funny shit. :lol:

Some screenshots! There's an interior and external view. You can also look around the interior...

www.wimmerfotografie.de