Transmission screwed!

Started by veeman, April 03, 2019, 08:40:22 PM

CaminoRacer

Quote from: shp4man on April 04, 2019, 12:41:52 PM
Doesn't include flywheel, which is being replaced because of heat damage.

I think I've always replaced everything any time I change the clutch just because then I know it's all new & good.

If 60k is common on these cars, Subaru definitely specced a wimpy clutch.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

shp4man

Usually they can be resurfaced, but they warp and crack from excess heat.

veeman

So while still waiting for Sales to get back to me, I called the local mechanic I've used a bunch of times in the past.  This local shop has always been good to me.  They said that the dealership is giving me a fair price ($2175 plus tax).  I gave him the VIN of my car and told him what the dealership said needed to be replaced (clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, and release bearing).  He said that'll take about 10 hrs of labor and he can come in maybe $150 cheaper but that's about it. 

If Sales doesn't come with a very good offer I'll have to bite the bullet and take the hit.  Although Subies are flying off the shelves, this is a manual transmission (not many people buy Subarus with a manual transmission outside of the WRX/STi or BRZ) and one with a replaced clutch and so I'm thinking they'll lowball me. 

CaminoRacer

10 hours??? Oh man, do they have to drop the subframe to access it all?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 04, 2019, 12:39:39 PM
According to this, the average cost is The average cost for a Subaru XV Crosstrek clutch replacement is between $1,204 and $1,384. Labor costs are estimated between $686 and $866 while parts are priced at $518. Estimate does not include taxes and fees.

Apparently, clutches typically last about 60,000 miles.

Like I said, $800. Parts are actually cost about $250, and I would only charge $250 in labor, making it $500 at my shop.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: veeman on April 04, 2019, 01:08:59 PM
So while still waiting for Sales to get back to me, I called the local mechanic I've used a bunch of times in the past.  This local shop has always been good to me.  They said that the dealership is giving me a fair price ($2175 plus tax).  I gave him the VIN of my car and told him what the dealership said needed to be replaced (clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, and release bearing).  He said that'll take about 10 hrs of labor and he can come in maybe $150 cheaper but that's about it. 

If Sales doesn't come with a very good offer I'll have to bite the bullet and take the hit.  Although Subies are flying off the shelves, this is a manual transmission (not many people buy Subarus with a manual transmission outside of the WRX/STi or BRZ) and one with a replaced clutch and so I'm thinking they'll lowball me. 

I think you should call another indy shop. That is too high. The $1300-ish range that FoMoJo listed is realistic for a high priced shop in a high cost of living area. $2000 is insane.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 04, 2019, 04:08:22 PM
Like I said, $800. Parts are actually cost about $250, and I would only charge $250 in labor, making it $500 at my shop.

You need to pay yourself better.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

HurricaneSteve

Are clutches on AWD vehicles more complicated to replace?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 04, 2019, 04:21:43 PM

Sometimes?

The clutch itself isn't any more complicated, but sometimes disconnecting the trans is made more complicated.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 04, 2019, 04:21:43 PM

This job is about like a FWD clutch, plus 15 minites to remove the rear driveshaft and drink some covovfee.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 04, 2019, 01:11:47 PM
10 hours??? Oh man, do they have to drop the subframe to access it all?
There are like 8 shafts coming out of that transmission... I'm not surprised
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 04, 2019, 05:47:41 PM
There are like 8 shafts coming out of that transmission... I'm not surprised

I disagree. It is a pretty ... standard  transmission.

https://www.ebay.com/i/323488736718?chn=ps&ul_ref=

HurricaneSteve

Makes sense. I know oil changes are laughably easy on most Subarus but drivetrain components are more time consuming to replace.

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 04, 2019, 04:37:09 PM
Sometimes?

The clutch itself isn't any more complicated, but sometimes disconnecting the trans is made more complicated.

veeman

Still waiting for the Sales guy to tell me how much they would give me for the car.  I'm
surprised they haven't told me yet.

MX793

Quote from: veeman on April 05, 2019, 11:25:48 AM
Still waiting for the Sales guy to tell me how much they would give me for the car.  I'm
surprised they haven't told me yet.

Take the going dealer auction price and subtract $2 grand for the wasted clutch....
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on April 05, 2019, 12:21:57 PM
Take the going dealer auction price and subtract $2 grand for the wasted clutch....

Probably more.

This is a bad idea. Fix the car.

2o6

2k for a dealer replacement clutch is actually a deal.

You can probably rock auto the clutch and pressure plate.

But for a dealer job? That's great.

Nick's price seems pretty standard; if a bit more than I personally would pay. These FWD designs aren't super complicated, and even if you need to drop the subframe, dropping the subframe isn't that hard.

———

EDIT: Rockauto doesn't look like it sells replacement clutch disks or entire clutch kits for the Crosstrek; maybe because the car is so new.

veeman

Quote from: MX793 on April 05, 2019, 12:21:57 PM
Quote from: 2o6 on April 05, 2019, 01:26:15 PM

Probably more.

This is a bad idea. Fix the car.

Still no word.  I'm just waiting to hear what they tell me.  I won't do it unless the price is decent, which I'm pretty sure it won't be.  Nevertheless I did do some Autotrader searches for New Base Civic and Mustang 4 banger manual transmission cars :lol: 

Most likely I'll tell them to fix it. Earliest parts can come in is Wednesday the Servie guy initially told me anyways. 

Payman

Yeah, in this instance I'd bite the bullet and have the dealer do the work. Peace of mind and you retain its value. Keep all receipts.

veeman

So this morning they finally got back to me regarding how much they would give me for my car right now.  So I still owe 10 thousand on it.  They would give me $9500 for it.  KBB puts the value of my car as a trade in as between 12 thousand and 13.5 thousand (keep in mind the cost for me to get them to fix my clutch is slightly over $2000.  So I don't think they're low balling me).  Now if I buy a new 2019 manual trans Crosstrek (they have two in stock) from them they would give me $10000 for my car (only $500 more).

The smart thing for me to do is have them fix it and not be a slave to a perpetual car payment.  But I have an additional $1200 coming up to replace real soon on the car.  The spark plugs (they need to be replaced at 60 thousand miles) and new tires (mine are original).  Plus I'm excited about potentially getting a new car. 

I could get the car fixed and sell it on my own on Autotrader.  I've done that before and helped my brother in law do that on his car several years ago.  It's a pain in the ass though and I'm not sure how sought after my car would be (probably not). 

I'll decide by tomorrow.  Honestly I'm not sure what I'll do. 

Payman

Quote from: veeman on April 09, 2019, 08:24:07 AM
So this morning they finally got back to me regarding how much they would give me for my car right now.  So I still owe 10 thousand on it.  They would give me $9500 for it.  KBB puts the value of my car as a trade in as between 12 thousand and 13.5 thousand (keep in mind the cost for me to get them to fix my clutch is slightly over $2000.  So I don’t think they’re low balling me).  Now if I buy a new 2019 manual trans Crosstrek (they have two in stock) from them they would give me $10000 for my car (only $500 more).

The smart thing for me to do is have them fix it and not be a slave to a perpetual car payment.  But I have an additional $1200 coming up to replace real soon on the car.  The spark plugs (they need to be replaced at 60 thousand miles) and new tires (mine are original).  Plus I’m excited about potentially getting a new car. 

I could get the car fixed and sell it on my own on Autotrader.  I’ve done that before and helped my brother in law do that on his car several years ago.  It’s a pain in the ass though and I’m not sure how sought after my car would be (probably not). 

I’ll decide by tomorrow.  Honestly I’m not sure what I’ll do. 

A conundrum for sure. The easy advice is to get it fixed, but your personal financial situation must be taken into account. Only you know how to proceed here.

BimmerM3

Quote from: veeman on April 09, 2019, 08:24:07 AM
So this morning they finally got back to me regarding how much they would give me for my car right now.  So I still owe 10 thousand on it.  They would give me $9500 for it.  KBB puts the value of my car as a trade in as between 12 thousand and 13.5 thousand (keep in mind the cost for me to get them to fix my clutch is slightly over $2000.  So I don't think they're low balling me).  Now if I buy a new 2019 manual trans Crosstrek (they have two in stock) from them they would give me $10000 for my car (only $500 more).

The smart thing for me to do is have them fix it and not be a slave to a perpetual car payment.  But I have an additional $1200 coming up to replace real soon on the car.  The spark plugs (they need to be replaced at 60 thousand miles) and new tires (mine are original).  Plus I'm excited about potentially getting a new car. 

I could get the car fixed and sell it on my own on Autotrader.  I've done that before and helped my brother in law do that on his car several years ago.  It's a pain in the ass though and I'm not sure how sought after my car would be (probably not). 

I'll decide by tomorrow.  Honestly I'm not sure what I'll do. 

I dunno... sounds like a low ball to me. $9.5k + 2k = $11.5k, so less than KBB, and I wouldn't give them the full $2k credit since most cars at that mileage aren't going to have a brand spankin' new clutch. Spark plugs and tires are not $1200.

You're essentially talking about spending like $12k (well, let's say $9k after clutch/spark plugs/tires) to get a slightly newer version of the same car. You'll get an extra gear, 4 more lb-ft of torques, and an updated (but still not awesome) infotainment.

veeman

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 09, 2019, 09:52:54 AM
I dunno... sounds like a low ball to me. $9.5k + 2k = $11.5k, so less than KBB, and I wouldn't give them the full $2k credit since most cars at that mileage aren't going to have a brand spankin' new clutch. Spark plugs and tires are not $1200.

You're essentially talking about spending like $12k (well, let's say $9k after clutch/spark plugs/tires) to get a slightly newer version of the same car. You'll get an extra gear, 4 more lb-ft of torques, and an updated (but still not awesome) infotainment.

Yeah it's kinda low ball but not super low ball. Tires and spark plugs is at least $1000, probably more.  I don't think I'll get a new Crosstrek.  If I did, I would have more leverage and could probably get another $500 out of them.  I'm leaning towards wussing out and handing them $500 to take it off my hands.  It's so damn easy to do that and start fresh.  Or I could be smart and have them fix it.  I need to sleep on it.

BimmerM3

Quote from: veeman on April 09, 2019, 10:03:23 AM
Yeah it's kinda low ball but not super low ball. Tires and spark plugs is at least $1000, probably more.  I don't think I'll get a new Crosstrek.  If I did, I would have more leverage and could probably get another $500 out of them.  I'm leaning towards wussing out and handing them $500 to take it off my hands.  It's so damn easy to do that and start fresh.  Or I could be smart and have them fix it.  I need to sleep on it.

Spark plugs are literally <$50 for the most expensive option on Rock Auto. There are plenty of good options for tires on Tire Rack that are ~$600 installed.

veeman

The tires I want are expensive (Michelin CrossClimate).  I'm just prioritizing laziness and greed for a new car over getting it fixed.

If I get it fixed, I'm not going to trade it in for a new car.  The car will be fine until I fry the clutch again in another two and a half years.  Plus I like it.  Don't love it, but definitely like it.  8 out of 10 on a 10 point scale.  It's loud on the highway and the gas mileage should be better.

CaminoRacer

Trading up to the same car doesn't seem worth it. You could fry that clutch in the same amount of time too.

HurricaneSteve

Fix & keep. Subarus hold their value well so when it's time for you to move on up you will have gotten your use out of it and still get a good chunk of change back.

BimmerM3

Quote from: veeman on April 09, 2019, 10:32:42 AM
The tires I want are expensive (Michelin CrossClimate).

Well, your money so do what you want. But you could spend like 60% of the money to get tires that are 95% as good.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 09, 2019, 10:13:59 AM
Spark plugs are literally <$50 for the most expensive option on Rock Auto. There are plenty of good options for tires on Tire Rack that are ~$600 installed.

Spark plugs themselves are cheap, but they aren't always a piece of cake to replace on modern vehicles (I dunno what the Crosstrek's engine situation is like).