license plate covers

Started by AutobahnSHO, January 10, 2018, 07:27:18 AM

AutobahnSHO

How about instead of ticketing speeding they ticket everyone with those lame license plate covers?

They serve NO legitimate purpose. I saw one the other day that was so dark that during regular daylight (slightly overcast) I could not see the plate.

Oh and ticket idiots without lights working. Just sit at a stoplight and watch whoever's brake lights don't work. Or have turn signals doing the double-fast blink because one is burnt out.
Will

SJ_GTI

I have never understood the point of license plate covers. Why do people install them? It is to intentionally obscure their license plate...?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 10, 2018, 07:40:59 AM
I have never understood the point of license plate covers. Why do people install them? It is to intentionally obscure their license plate...?

Yes, so red-light or speed cameras don't nab them.
Will

giant_mtb

Nothing says "pull me over" quite like a license plate cover.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 10, 2018, 08:06:52 AM
Nothing says "pull me over" quite like a license plate cover.

Should be guaranteed pull over and ticket. But I don't think I've ever seen action.
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 10, 2018, 09:03:24 AM
Should be guaranteed pull over and ticket. But I don't think I've ever seen action.

It's one of those things they use when they're looking for a reason to pull you over.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Gotta-Qik-C7

Lemme add to the list people with head lights burnt out OR not on at all!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

FoMoJo

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on January 10, 2018, 12:01:16 PM
Lemme add to the list people with head lights burnt out OR not on at all!
I've been guilty of the head lights not turned on.  I get spoiled with the AUTO setting on the headlight's switch and expect it to be consistently set.  I recently had service on our car and returning from the movies one evening, this guy kept flashing his lights behind me.  Couldn't figure out what his problem was and, as he pulled up beside me, my wife rolled the window down ready to give he a piece of her mind, but before she could do that he yelled "your lights are off".  Apparently, during the service, they had turned the head light switch to off.  I have to admit, after having the car for a year, I couldn't, at the moment figure out where the head light switch was, besides, we were only a couple of block away from home.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Auto headlights seem to have made the problem worse.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

93JC

I've said it before and I'll say it again: instruments and other dash lights that are always on should be illegal.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 93JC on January 10, 2018, 01:18:55 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: instruments and other dash lights that are always on should be illegal.

Unfortunately new dashes are all electronic screens.   I didn't realize headlights were off in company van at night. Lots of streetlights so didn't need them to see. Got pulled over. Stupid dash was bright as bright could be.
Will

dazzleman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 10, 2018, 01:00:12 PM

Yes, it's like how a muscle atrophies if you don't use it.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 10, 2018, 01:32:41 PM
Unfortunately new dashes are all electronic screens.   I didn't realize headlights were off in company van at night. Lots of streetlights so didn't need them to see. Got pulled over. Stupid dash was bright as bright could be.

If the vehicles sense that it's dark outside & the lights aren't on, it should turn on a loud buzzer.

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 10, 2018, 01:57:34 PM
If the vehicles sense that it's dark outside & the lights aren't on, it should turn on a loud buzzer.
Or, it could just turn the lights on.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

93JC

Unfortunately new dashes are all electronic screens.

I stand by what I said. If there are knock-on ramifications to the interior design of new cars that preclude the (over-)use of certain technologies, so be it.

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 10, 2018, 01:00:12 PM

And DTRLs that, to idiots, seem as bright as headlights.  Plus their dashboard lights are always on, so, eh, everything is normal!

giant_mtb

Checking to see that your headlights are on at night should be as instinctual as putting on your seat belt.  And by that I mean physically reaching down and, god forbid, checking to make sure the headlight switch is "on."

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 10, 2018, 05:25:49 PM
Checking to see that your headlights are on at night should be as instinctual as putting on your seat belt.  And by that I mean physically reaching down and, god forbid, checking to make sure the headlight switch is "on."

DRLs do make things a bit more complicated.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on January 10, 2018, 06:18:54 PM
DRLs do make things a bit more complicated.

Not really.  (Physically) check that your headlights are on if it's dark.  It's that simple.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 10, 2018, 06:39:36 PM
Not really.  Check that your headlights are on if it's dark.  It's that simple.

Can't I just ask Alexa is they're on?

Rupert

Or those cars (all of them) should come with auto lights where either you can't turn the auto feature off, or it's not intuitive and then resets next time you start the car.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Rupert on January 10, 2018, 07:12:50 PM
Or those cars (all of them) should come with auto lights where either you can't turn the auto feature off, or it's not intuitive and then resets next time you start the car.
Corvette resets each time to auto.

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 10, 2018, 05:24:41 PM
And DTRLs that, to idiots, seem as bright as headlights.  Plus their dashboard lights are always on, so, eh, everything is normal!
Yup! See this all the time!

Also this! Even with the lil indicator to let you know if your lights are on it's still no good!

FoMoJo

if your car has an auto light system, I don't see the need to even have a switch.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 10, 2018, 08:16:40 PM
if your car has an auto light system, I don't see the need to even have a switch.

I disagree. There are lots of times where I'd like to have my lights on where an automatic switch may not turn them on.

A heavier daytime snowfall, for instance. 

I run my headlights on a lot.  Makes you more visible. Makes it a lot easier for people driving into the sun to see you coming. 

Gotta-Qik-C7

You may need to turn the lights on in inclement weather during the day or turn them off while the car is running at night. I like having total control of my lights at all times. And I also despise DRLs with a passion. I love that I can turn them off in the Vette! In my corolla I snipped the wire that controls the DRLs........

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 10, 2018, 08:21:43 PM
I disagree. There are lots of times where I'd like to have my lights on where an automatic switch may not turn them on.

A heavier daytime snowfall, for instance. 

I run my headlights on a lot.  Makes you more visible. Makes it a lot easier for people driving into the sun to see you coming. 
DRLs are mandatory up here.  Some lights are on whenever the car is running.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on January 10, 2018, 08:21:46 PM
You may need to turn the lights on in inclement weather during the day or turn them off while the car is running at night. I like having total control of my lights at all times. And I also despise DRLs with a passion. I love that I can turn them off in the Vette! In my corolla I snipped the wire that controls the DRLs........
Why is that?  I never quite understood that sentiment.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 10, 2018, 08:27:20 PM
DRLs are mandatory up here.  Some lights are on whenever the car is running.

DRLs are dimmer than headlights and don't include tail lights...it's not equivalent.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 10, 2018, 08:28:14 PM
Why is that?  I never quite understood that sentiment.
I just think cars look goofy driving around with dim headlights on all day.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA