Avoiding Police Bashing

Started by TurboDan, May 05, 2005, 12:28:34 AM

TurboDan

If there's one thing we've learned at the C&D forums, it's that the LEOs who are nice enough to come on the boards and help us out leave pretty quickly with the frequent police bashing that goes on.  

At this site, we want any LEO that stumbles onto the forum to feel welcome and stick around!  The vast majority of forum members respect and welcome the police officers who are kind enough to answer questions and join in on the discussions.  And it does all of us some good to see things from their point of view as well!

So, while everyone is welcome to air their gripe about that nasty ticket they got or rant about "the system," remember that the police officers are out there doing a tough job.  Any topics containing inappropriate bashing of law enforcement will be deleted.

TBR

[RANT]
I am very glad that you made that post. The mods at the previous forum weren't willing to do anything about people bashing police enforcement in general as well as police officers. Supposedly they were worried about infringing on the poster's 1st ammendments rights. Rather ridiculous if you ask me since they don't mind infringing the 1st ammendment rights of spammers.  This is a private forum (as was the previous board) and the mods have the right to remove anything they find offensive or unapporporiote, no matter what it refers to.

Anyway, police enforcement is a vital tool in retaining our personal freedoms, but sometimes they have to violate some of our basic rights to protect our other rights (for example, one of our rights is,"the pursuit of happiness", but it is rather difficult to pursue happiness of you're dead). To bash and be disrespectful towards people that are willing to sacrifice their own comfort and safety for our personal comfort and safety just isn't approporiate in any setting.
[/RANT]

Catman

I really never had a problem with people questioning enforcement techniques, motives or government statistics, etc.  But, I never understood why the ignorant "all cops suck" threads were left alone when they really had no value whatsoever.  

TBR

QuoteI really never had a problem with people questioning enforcement techniques, motives or government statistics, etc.  But, I never understood why the ignorant "all cops suck" threads were left alone when they really had no value whatsoever.
I never really understood that either, and I wrote numerous pms to The Bartender regarding some of Stutz' posts with him just saying that he would be violating Stutz' right to freedom of speech if he deleted the very offensive posts (they were offensive to anyone that put any value on life).

Well,  know that for every person that thinks badly of law enforcement there are at least 10 that think otherwise. I appreciate you!  

Catman

I never really understood that either, and I wrote numerous pms to The Bartender regarding some of Stutz' posts with him just saying that he would be violating Stutz' right to freedom of speech if he deleted the very offensive posts (they were offensive to anyone that put any value on life).

Well,  know that for every person that thinks badly of law enforcement there are at least 10 that think otherwise. I appreciate you!
Thanks.  I didn't get along with Stutz at all.  He was just too ignorant to even converse with.  I'll talk with anyone who is reasonable but I can't really stomach ignorant, rude people.  I don't agree with JY much either but we've always been very civil and respectful.  TCSD and JY always fight because TCSD is always so black & white and that just gets JY going.

Catman

BTW, I didn't realize the Bill of Rights extended to internet forums? :huh:  

TBR

QuoteBTW, I didn't realize the Bill of Rights extended to internet forums? :huh:
Only in special cases apparantly (selective hearing I guess, our judical system apparantly also has it).

maarp

QuoteTCSD and JY always fight because TCSD is always so black & white and that just gets JY going.
I think JY gets going because it bugs the hell out of The Nameless One.  It's become more of a sport than anything else.  

If carrots got you drunk, rabbits would be f'ed up.

ifcar

Well,  know that for every person that thinks badly of law enforcement there are at least 10 that think otherwise. I appreciate you!
Thanks.  I didn't get along with Stutz at all.  He was just too ignorant to even converse with.  I'll talk with anyone who is reasonable but I can't really stomach ignorant, rude people.  I don't agree with JY much either but we've always been very civil and respectful.  TCSD and JY always fight because TCSD is always so black & white and that just gets JY going.
Is Stutz still around? I don't think I've seen any of his posts in months.  

City Pig

Good morning!

I'm here only because of this thread. As stated above I am one of the ones that stopped posting on a regular basis at "that place" as I got sick of the constant bashing. I found a new home and started posting there where the other members are more mature and "take care of" any of the noobs that come in and start badmouthing cops. I get enough of it at work....I don't need it at play too! But now I have two new homes and hopefully this one will stay civil and mature!

I look forward to answering your Canadian law questions and backing up Sgt Catman when he gets put in a corner!

IrishGuy

I'm definitely glad that people are finally going to take care of this. I cannot stand the bashing as well.
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

TurboDan

QuoteBTW, I didn't realize the Bill of Rights extended to internet forums? :huh:
It doesn't.  Therefore, I've taken the time to call in a few favors to reserve a few cells down at GTMO for the posters we don't like.   :P

Catman

MaxPower

Quality LEO input is great.  I like the perspectives and informative advice you guys give us.  I hope City Pig sticks around...it was entertaining reading about the "duel" between him and VTEC_inside (I think?)!

Why?

Hmm, I have come to find that most police that take the time to post on car related forums are usually car enthusiasts themselves, as well as good human beings.

If only the average police officer were as smart and caring as they are.

I can actually say that I've met some really cool police officers, but I have to add that they aren't the norm, sadly.

Anyways, it is cool to hear from police officers who are willing to talk with normal peeps.

TurboDan

Maybe Mr. Beauford T. Justice himself, Officer Bob, will stop by some time.  As we all know, "nothing improved your driving like a ticket."  :D  

Rupert

Can we get a definition of LEO bashing? I agree that it's really ignorant to go around saying all LEOs are assholes. But what of posters like Officer Bob and tcsd? A lot of the stuff they say is pretty dumb by many peoples' standards, and I'd like to be able to call them on it.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Catman

There's nothing wrong with a debate.  Dan's talking about the blatant insults and bashing not the discussion so don't worry.

TurboDan

Call anyone out who you'd like.  I love messing with good ol' Officer Bob myself.  TC...umm..The Nameless One, is a nice guy but as Catman said, is pretty black and white about things.  The James Young vs. TCSD arguments are forum classics.

Basically, all I meant was the people who come on the boards and start pretty much just start saying insulting things about police officers just for the sake of doing it.  As City Pig said, who needs that BS in a forum when you deal with it all day anyway.  

giant_mtb

Here's a dumb question...but what exactly does LEO stand for?  LEOfficer...lol...but what's the L and E?  Is it just Law Enforcement Officer?  :unsure:  

NomisR

QuoteHere's a dumb question...but what exactly does LEO stand for?  LEOfficer...lol...but what's the L and E?  Is it just Law Enforcement Officer?  :unsure:
That one got me for a while too,  it's Law Enforcement Officer I think

Catman

QuoteHere's a dumb question...but what exactly does LEO stand for?  LEOfficer...lol...but what's the L and E?  Is it just Law Enforcement Officer?  :unsure:
Yeah

giant_mtb

QuoteHere's a dumb question...but what exactly does LEO stand for?  LEOfficer...lol...but what's the L and E?  Is it just Law Enforcement Officer?  :unsure:
Yeah
OH!  Who's the kid that guessed right?!   :P  

Rupert

QuoteThere's nothing wrong with a debate.  Dan's talking about the blatant insults and bashing not the discussion so don't worry.
QuoteThere's nothing wrong with a debate.  Dan's talking about the blatant insults and bashing not the discussion so don't worry.

That's what I was thinking, but I had to make sure... :)  
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

mazda6er

Sounds like a good idea to encourage LEOs to visit the boards and stay awhile, but maybe we should change the name of this thread to something more like "Avoiding Police Bashing" or "No Police Bashing". If I was a policeman and I saw a thread named "Police Bashing" stuck at the top of the message board, I likely wouldn't stay for long.  :unsure:  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

TurboDan

QuoteSounds like a good idea to encourage LEOs to visit the boards and stay awhile, but maybe we should change the name of this thread to something more like "Avoiding Police Bashing" or "No Police Bashing". If I was a policeman and I saw a thread named "Police Bashing" stuck at the top of the message board, I likely wouldn't stay for long.  :unsure:
Good idea!

The Bartender

QuoteI really never had a problem with people questioning enforcement techniques, motives or government statistics, etc.  But, I never understood why the ignorant "all cops suck" threads were left alone when they really had no value whatsoever.

I save most of my old PM's, and I don't recall "numerous" PM's on the point.  Plus, as many can attest, I'm the last person to bring up freedom of speech, because i'm the FIRST person to point out that you have NONE on a private web forum, other than at the hands of the owners (or their appointed deputies)

As for Stutz, you also have no idea what I said to him, or didn't say.  He was banned at one point, and might still be, I haven't checked, for some of his more flagrant comments.

I severly dislike reprimanding anyone in public, unless absolutely necessary  (or if they something REALLY stupid.  I will admit to a failing on that count), so assuming that nothing happened just because you don't think anything happened is wrong.

I do allow a little more leniency regarding comments towards LEO's, IF, I Repeat IF, the LEO in question has made some "out there" comments himself, ala Officer Bob.  Also, the matter of some forum member "blowing off steam" on a forum is often a GOOD thing, rather than letting the frustration buildup to the point that they could conceivable do something rash.  (There's a lot of road rage out there, and it ain't just psychotics who have the problems.)

The biggest problem I have overall with the issue is that my father was a MD State Police LT, with 25 years on the job.  When I see critical comments regarding cops, I often end up conflicted, and sometimes let a bit more get by than SOME people think I should,m just because I don't want to seem OVER SENSITIVE on the matter.  In short, I don't want a bunch of people crying about my deleting threads on the basis of my being the son of a trooper.

I've never been able to find someone wto be a mod in D & L who I felt was balancd enough on the issue.  Obviously, the cops are going to feel one way, and people like James Young and The Speed Criminal will feel differently.

That said, I do agree that James YOung manages to make his points eloquently in most cases, and stays mature and clean even if I disagree with him.
Wastin' Away Again in Margaritaville!
#3 #8 #15 #29

850CSi

You guys know me... I got a lot of respect for LEOs...

Come to think of it, I'm wondering if anyone misunderstood my motives in that one thread I started about my friend getting arrested...

L. ed foote

cops stink!  :angry:

:D

And with that, I begin my time here @ CarSPIN...  lol

FWIW, I have no special moderator power in that particular forum, so there's little that I can do.

Sometimes it can get tiring, but on a whole, I'd have to say the cop bashing isn't as bad there as I've seen it on other sites.

The primary offenders are Stutz & Dweeb, it seems, but neither posts on a consistent basis.  I could be wrong, tho'
Member, Self Preservation Society

Catman

Bartender, do you know where The Speed Criminal went?  Any way to contact him?