El Camino project car

Started by hotrodalex, October 04, 2008, 12:49:56 PM

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 19, 2020, 05:25:00 PM
Do those spindles come with a warranty? :lol:

I'll just put them on a 5 year replacement plan. The old ones lasted 10 years before breaking. Although only a few events with sticky tires...
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

my dumbass was so confused as to why there was no provision for an axle shaft

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on March 21, 2020, 12:35:17 AM

:lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Its gravity powered.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

:lol:!
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

I got the front suspension fixed back in April. Took 2-3 weekends to get it all back together and set up. All new control arms, tie rod ends, spindles, and brakes. Coilovers and sway bars were the only things that carried over. The wheels and tires were fine and I raced another 2-3 events on them this year. Tires probably need to be replaced for next year, and maybe some of the wheels due to scratches and paint issues. We'll see how I feel about that in a few months. 

I also got new seats so I sit lower in the car. My head doesn't rub the headliner when I'm wearing a helmet now.

CaminoRacer

Eye of the Tiger

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

CaminoRacer

I got a Craftsman one from Lowes, same size and heat output. My garage is actually decently insulated and stays at 44-45 degrees even when it's in the 20s outside. This heated it up to 55 degrees in about 15 minutes before I turned it off.

CaminoRacer

I guess I'll replace these? Don't look too bad, but new ones aren't expensive. Looks like the tips are a bit worn.

Eye of the Tiger

CaminoRacer

I bought new ones but the tips are actually less worn than I thought.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 02, 2021, 08:09:41 AM
So what's the big project?

The big project finally shipped this week! :dance:

(no, spark plugs were not the big project. Although I have only replaced 4 of the 8 so far, I'm super lazy)

CaminoRacer

My winter project has arrived just in time for spring.

Tremec TKX. It's a brand new model, specific for the aftermarket. Based on a TKO600 (which is a beefy, evolved T-5, used in Mustangs), but with upgraded internals similar to T-56 Magnums and TR-6060s. I've been hesitant to get a TKO600 since the shift feel doesn't seem great. But this should shift like butter, and it's a much smaller case since it's just a 5 speed not a 6 speed. They say it'll fit into GM A-body's without cutting the floor, so we'll see. I'll probably have to modify the shifter hole since I put a new shifter tunnel in and only made a tiny offset hole for the current Muncie Hurst shifter.

I also got a new bellhousing, flywheel, and 11" clutch kit to upgrade from my 10.5" clutch. And a mini starter.

shp4man

Eventually, an LS motor. It's destiny.  :lol:

CaminoRacer

Keeping the small block for the foreseeable future. And probably the carb too, although I'm tempted to switch to a Holley

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 06, 2021, 01:35:01 PM
Keeping the small block for the foreseeable future. And probably the carb too, although I'm tempted to switch to a Holley

LS motors count as smallblocks ;)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Driveshaft is out, Muncie is out, bellhousing is off (after much effort spent on 1 bolt), clutch/flywheel/starter are off.

Good news is that the rear main seal looks fine. But the inside of the bellhousing is oily. Not sure if it's from the back of the oil pan gasket, or somewhere else on the engine is leaking all the way down. I might tighten the oil pan bolts slightly while I'm down there, then check other areas. I know my valve covers were leaking a decent amount, and so I tightened those recently.

Next step is to put the new larger flywheel on and check the new bellhousing runout. If I'm lucky, I won't need any offset dowel pins, because it can be a lot of work to change them with the engine in the car.

https://americanpowertrain.com/ufaqs/how-do-i-dial-indicate-my-bellhousing/

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 27, 2021, 01:46:56 PM
Driveshaft is out, Muncie is out, bellhousing is off (after much effort spent on 1 bolt), clutch/flywheel/starter are off.

Good news is that the rear main seal looks fine. But the inside of the bellhousing is oily. Not sure if it's from the back of the oil pan gasket, or somewhere else on the engine is leaking all the way down. I might tighten the oil pan bolts slightly while I'm down there, then check other areas. I know my valve covers were leaking a decent amount, and so I tightened those recently.

Next step is to put the new larger flywheel on and check the new bellhousing runout. If I'm lucky, I won't need any offset dowel pins, because it can be a lot of work to change them with the engine in the car.

https://americanpowertrain.com/ufaqs/how-do-i-dial-indicate-my-bellhousing/
Heavier flywheel?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 27, 2021, 02:14:18 PM
Heavier flywheel?

a little bit, but made for 11" clutch instead of the 10.5" clutch that was installed.

CaminoRacer

The TKX 5-speed is installed! Just have finishing touches to do: driveshaft, starter, shift handle, etc. But the transmission is in and the crossmember is supporting it.

Once the bellhousing alignment was done and I got the shifter hole cut for the new-ish location, it went pretty easy to toss the clutch on and get the trans in.

Harbor Freight transmission jack is well worth the money.

shp4man

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 02, 2021, 08:37:44 PM
The TKX 5-speed is installed! Just have finishing touches to do: driveshaft, starter, shift handle, etc. But the transmission is in and the crossmember is supporting it.

Once the bellhousing alignment was done and I got the shifter hole cut for the new-ish location, it went pretty easy to toss the clutch on and get the trans in.

Harbor Freight transmission jack is well worth the money.

:ohyeah:

CaminoRacer

Spend yesterday fiddling with the flywheel dust cover / inspection panel and installing a new mini starter. The inspection panel doesn't fit well with the mini starter on, and the mini starter doesn't extend far enough to engage with the flywheel...

Gonna try a stock style mini starter from a 2002 Silverado 3500 with the 8.1L engine. Hopefully that works better.

CaminoRacer

Got a new (not rebuilt) Duralast Gold mini starter from the 8.1L installed in just a few minutes. Can't fully test the starting power since the transmission isn't totally done yet, but it didn't grind when I turned the key a couple of times. Cost like $60 more than the aftermarket mini starter, but it's actually lighter (8.7 lbs vs 11 lbs) and doesn't grind, so that's a win

RomanChariot

The mini starters they used on the big blocks are nice from a space standpoint but they didn't have a great lifespan on the 454 in my old Suburban.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: RomanChariot on May 06, 2021, 10:06:30 AM
The mini starters they used on the big blocks are nice from a space standpoint but they didn't have a great lifespan on the 454 in my old Suburban.

We'll see how it does in this application. I needed a new starter for a 168 tooth flywheel, since I swapped from a 153 tooth flywheel, so might as well get the small one.

CaminoRacer

My exhaust system is pretty crappy now, not very happy with it. Had to dent the H-pipe to clearance it around the crossmember, since the crossmember is 1-2 inches further back now. And I had to chop off the axle-back pipes since they were welded on and I couldn't take anything off with chopping them off (or removing the entire rear end...) I'll see how long I last before I cave and re-do it all.

Speedo cable is leaking, I think I need a different style adapter with a seal on the inner cable. I ruined a pair of suede Vans since the oil came all the way up the speedo cable and dripped down onto the clutch pedal and surrounding area.

Rear brake caliper is leaking, and I think it has been for a year. Tried swapping out the crush washer on the banjo bolt, but now the bleeder screw is leaking. New caliper should be delivered tomorrow.

The transmission break-in period is 500 miles. I have 2 days to drive another 96 miles and then change the gear oil, so I can autocross it this weekend.

CaminoRacer

I need to drive this more. I fixed the rear caliper, got it all running, etc. then I had a little carb fire that melted some wires and rubber bits. Got a brand new Edelbrock carb (AVS2) and replaced all the wires. Drove it once or twice but I'm still in the tuning process - I need to check if the gas pedal/throttle cable is pulling the carb all the way open or not because it seemed super dead at full throttle.

But I noticed the radiator leaking a bit so I ordered a new aluminum 3 row. Need to install that some day when the weather is nice.

My driveline angle isn't perfect, so I also need to install my adjustable upper trailing arms so I can adjust the rear pinion angle. And the rear pinion seal is leaking so I need to replace that. Probably dried out from not being driven enough over the past year or two.