Zoom Zoom

Started by CaminoRacer, January 11, 2018, 09:32:53 PM

MrH

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 01, 2019, 10:19:10 AM
Or, two 1.0 Ecobooosts bolted together inline.

That would actually be a cool engine.  2.0 liter, straight 6 with twin turbos?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

We need to start trending toward smaller displacements and more cylinders. For the planet!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

The front passenger side had cheapo autozone pads for 9 months because I needed a new set of pads asap and couldn't wait for the better ones to get shipped to me. I got the better ones a few days after putting the cheapo ones on, but was too lazy to swap them out until a week or two ago.

Well now that I swapped pads on both sides, the drivers side is making a grindy noise every rotation. Must be a corroded portion of rotor grinding against the new pad. I didn't put new/machined rotors on it because I'm lazy.

Now I've ordered a Centric rotor & pad kit that has coated rotors and decent ceramic pads. I'm tired of gross rusty rotors after only a year of use. El Camino's rotors are coated and look immaculate for years.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 06, 2019, 06:14:28 PM
The front passenger side had cheapo autozone pads for 9 months because I needed a new set of pads asap and couldn't wait for the better ones to get shipped to me. I got the better ones a few days after putting the cheapo ones on, but was too lazy to swap them out until a week or two ago.

Well now that I swapped pads on both sides, the drivers side is making a grindy noise every rotation. Must be a corroded portion of rotor grinding against the new pad. I didn't put new/machined rotors on it because I'm lazy.

Now I've ordered a Centric rotor & pad kit that has coated rotors and decent ceramic pads. I'm tired of gross rusty rotors after only a year of use. El Camino's rotors are coated and look immaculate for years.

Turns out it was just some loose lug nuts... Fixed for free

CaminoRacer

Next issue: battery charging light started coming on the other day. Alternator is going out again. I just replaced it in February...

I took it to a shop to replace this time. It's a sucky job.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 30, 2019, 03:54:42 PM
Next issue: battery charging light started coming on the other day. Alternator is going out again. I just replaced it in February...

I took it to a shop to replace this time. It's a sucky job.

EEK
Will

CaminoRacer

181k mile update: Dumb rustbucket.

The exhaust has been raspy for a few weeks, figured it was a hole in the muffler/pipe somewhere. Today we went on a long drive and while driving over some train tracks, you could hear the pipe break lose and rattle around a bit. Luckily nothing fell off, dragged on the ground, or made much noise the rest of the way home. It was just even louder. #racecar

Quick & easy fix and only cost like $6. The inlet side isn't totally sealed because the adapter I bought is a bit too big on that end but IDGAF, it's tight and won't fall off.

FoMoJo

Looks kinda sketchy under there.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

I dare you to try an adjust the rear camber bolts...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on May 18, 2020, 08:39:39 AM
I dare you to try an adjust the rear camber bolts...

No thx. I couldn't get the rear shocks bolts off when I replaced them last year.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 18, 2020, 08:24:20 AM
Looks kinda sketchy under there.

It could be worse. Other than the exhaust it's not swiss-cheesed or anything. But it lived in the rust belt for 14 years and that's what happens.

giant_mtb

Yeah that looks about right/normal to me. :huh:

Soup DeVille

If you can't poke a hole in it with an unsharpened screwdriver, it aint rusty.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Will

CaminoRacer

I thought I needed a new wheel bearing, not because it was grinding but because it was wiggly. But it looks like it's actually a rear toe alignment issue.

https://www.moogparts.com/parts-matter/five-ways-bad-alignment-wrecks-tires.html

"Diagonal Wear
Can be caused by incorrect rear toe adjustment."

CaminoRacer

A new tire is gonna be twice as much as the wheel bearing though. Boo!

CaminoRacer

I got an alignment + 4 new tires. Switched from the BFG Comp 2 A/S to Conti DWS06 Plus. The tire shop actually installed 215/55s instead of 215/50, but I drove it around a bit and it doesn't rub, so I don't mind. The ride quality is nicer and it'll reduce the highway rpm slightly. These tires are also quieter than the BFGs. More money than I wanted to spend this week, but I am happy with it. The BFGs had 29-30k on them so they were going to need to be replaced in about 10k miles anyway. It wasn't worth replacing only some of the tires, or shaving 1 new tire to match the others.

I think I'll also put DWS06's on the Miata once the OEM summers wear out. It'll be a good DD/year round tire when I'm not rocking the RE-71Rs.

CaminoRacer

This car really knows how to defeat me. I got some cheap struts from Rock Auto, since the originals are still on the front and are creaking and making other noises, and it floats down the road. So they're totally blown. But I can't get any nuts/bolts loose on the front end except the tiny ones holding the brake lines on. It's defeated my impact gun and my tire iron breaker bar.

The car passed 190k miles this week. Might put it up for sale for $500 and be done.

CaminoRacer

Sold for $1300. Was only listed online for an hour.

veeman

Congratulations! 

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 11, 2021, 09:27:15 PM
What are you going to replace it with?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 13, 2021, 07:34:26 AM
What are you going to replace it with?

The Miata I bought last fall :lol:

I just drove the Mazda6 through the winter because the Miata came with summer tires and I didn't want to pay for all-seasons yet.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 11, 2021, 09:27:15 PM

That's crazy.

But then people like me :mask: don't care too much about bad suspension. I was told lots of times I had a strut that needed replacing on many older cars. Since they still rode ok I always just chalked it up to shop money making tactics. But with new Odyssey and Miata riding so crisp, I'll keep an eye out for issues from here out....
Will

veeman

The first car I bought with my own money was a 2003 Mazda 6i 4 cylinder.  I loved that car.  It handled so well for a FWD mainstreamer.  After 3 years and 55 thousand miles a contractor van hit me from behind on the highway and it was totaled.  You got great use out of your Mazda 6.  Mine was short lived.