Mechanic Stuff

Started by Eye of the Tiger, October 14, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Heater core in a Doge Journey. A damn six year old vehicle should not need a damn heater core.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Eye of the Tiger

Oh, I guess one of the hose clamps on the heater core was loose, so it was squirting straight into the firewall, with no external leak. If I wasn't so anal about checking things, I would be pulling the dash out right now.

Eye of the Tiger

Oh, I guess it is the heater core. I let it sit overnight with 19 psi on the pressure tester.

Eye of the Tiger

Oh, I guess it still isn't the heater core

shp4man

When you turn on the heater, can you smell coolant? Do the windows fog up with the defroster on?

Eye of the Tiger

I fixed it. Another loose clamp. What a piece of shit.

Now I get to r&r an engine in a Hyunday Azeroth.

giant_mtb

Will I be alive if I try to do ball joints myself?  Seems relatively simple, but of course UP and corrosion.  But I have a torch now.  Should I get fancy ones with grease fittings?

Shop quoted me just shy of $400 to do them (and that might've just been uppers?), but they're only like $16 per, $22-29 for fancy ones.  So I expect it would take me a full day to do myself.

Some research suggests they're a PITA and many people just install new control arm assemblies instead?

Soup DeVille

Original ball joints are often riveted on: and are a huge PITA to remove. Then, the news ones are bolted: which isn't quite as secure.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 01, 2017, 01:02:58 PM
Original ball joints are often riveted on: and are a huge PITA to remove. Then, the news ones are bolted: which isn't quite as secure.

Riveted?  I thought they were press-fit, and so you rent a ball joint press from AutoZone or whateva to squeeze them out and in.

https://youtu.be/E9O_cOB2MTI

shp4man

Some are,  some aren't. Consult your service manual for details.  :muffin:

CaminoRacer

Often the lowers are pressed in and the uppers are riveted/bolted.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

A BFH is necessary for either method. PITA, but easy. It ain't rocket surgery.

giant_mtb

Hmm.  I'll have to take a looksee if they're riveted or not.  It's cold outside.  I can't be bumblefucking around with it for two days.

All the aftermarket ball joints (upper or lower) I'm seeing for my Taco don't have the mounting plate that apparently would be there if the stockers were riveted, they're all the normal-looking kind with castle nuts.  And if my memory serves right from the few times I've been up in there, neither is the rivet kind.  If neither is rivet kind, I would probably feel comfortable doing it meself.  None of the control arm assemblies you can buy seem to use rivet-style either.

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on February 01, 2017, 01:16:03 PM
Some are,  some aren't. Consult your service manual for details.  :muffin:

I don't have $515 for a FSM.  Will a Hayne's work.

shp4man

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 01, 2017, 02:03:14 PM
I don't have $515 for a FSM.  Will a Hayne's work.

Ya, maybe even the internet/YouTube/a forum. If it was a Ford, i could look it up. What year/model/engine/4wd or 2wd/auto/manual/ P/S or manual. ?

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on February 01, 2017, 03:12:39 PM
Ya, maybe even the internet/YouTube/a forum. If it was a Ford, i could look it up. What year/model/engine/4wd or 2wd/auto/manual/ P/S or manual. ?

I've watched a number of videos. They're what make me think I can do it.  Just fishing for more "you can do its" from real people. :lol:

05 Tacoma 4.0L 4WD automatic with power steering.

shp4man

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 01, 2017, 03:23:17 PM
I've watched a number of videos. They're what make me think I can do it.  Just fishing for more "you can do its" from real people. :lol:

05 Tacoma 4.0L 4WD automatic with power steering.

Ok, it shows a puller/pusher called an SST, in the cheezy off brand service manual I have. Maybe rent one at Autozone. Will need an alignment probably.

CaminoRacer

I'm planning on doing a similar job myself. But I've learned not to project my abilities and/or willingness to DIY onto others.

Why would it need an alignment? As long as shims and the tie rod settings aren't touched it shouldn't change anything. :huh:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

shp4man

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 01, 2017, 03:51:04 PM
I'm planning on doing a similar job myself. But I've learned not to project my abilities and/or willingness to DIY onto others.

Why would it need an alignment? As long as shims and the tie rod settings aren't touched it shouldn't change anything. :huh:

It looks like you have to remove the A-arm.

giant_mtb

I'm planning to get an alignment done afterwards anyway. When I got the new shocks and stuff on I wanted to have an alignment done afterwards but they said there was too much play in the ball joints so I gotta do that first.

Also, shit, I might as well do the tie rods if I can, too. :mask:

Eye of the Tiger

You could replace the truck while you're at it.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 03, 2017, 08:38:52 PM
You could replace the truck while you're at it.

I kinda like this process, honestly. I don't mind working on cars at all if I'm capable, and I'm doing more than I ever have before.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 03, 2017, 09:06:12 PM
I kinda like this process, honestly. I don't mind working on cars at all if I'm capable, and I'm doing more than I ever have before.

My shop needs a guy to take over the entire detailing operation. You might not like it here, but you could already do it better than anyone else that has run it. The current guy uses plain wax to buff cars and then wonders why they still have scratches.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 04, 2017, 04:38:25 AM
My shop needs a guy to take over the entire detailing operation. You might not like it here, but you could already do it better than anyone else that has run it. The current guy uses plain wax to buff cars and then wonders why they still have scratches.

What's the pay?  Can I live on LAND?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 04, 2017, 12:05:56 PM
What's the pay?  Can I live on LAND?

I think it is something like $125/car for a standard detailing, and you have to lease the bays in the shop. You can buy your own damn land next to mine. There are still a hundred acres left.

giant_mtb

How much is it to lease the bay?  I could do 1.5-2 cars a day assuming the supply is that large.  Quality.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 04, 2017, 12:19:13 PM
How much is it to lease the bay?  I could do 1.5-2 cars a day assuming the supply is that large.  Quality.

I don't know, but the supply seems endless. Probably more like 3 - 5 a day, and the main guy pays a helper to ... help.

giant_mtb

Eye of the Tiger

One of my favourite engine designs of all time. A 2006 Furd Exploder's 4.0L SOHC V6. What a pile of garbage. Let's take perfectly fine pushrod engine and do a halfassed redesign to make it OHC, even though it will still have only two valves per cylinder. In place of the old camshaft, we can put a dummy/balance shaft with sprockets on each end to drive the new overhead cams, meaning one of the timing chains goes on the back.

In this case, the chains and guides were okay, and I am just replacing a cracked cylinder head.