3D Car Modeling

Started by 2o6, June 12, 2013, 08:52:12 PM

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on February 22, 2019, 12:45:13 PM
IMO it's probably because everything aspires to be an SUV nowadays; slab faces and perpendicular intersections are perceived to be more masculine.
Well, it was one of the big Cadillac SUVs where I noticed it.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MrH

Is the teal sedan riding on 12" wheels?  They look tiny in the rear.

Glad to see your cars have CarPlay already.  You beat Toyota to the punch on a lot of models :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: MrH on February 22, 2019, 01:52:17 PM

Glad to see your cars have CarPlay already.  You beat Toyota to the punch on a lot of models :lol:

Lol, nope they're normal sized wheels! That sedan is the size of a Nissan Versa.

shp4man

Still think it would be cool to turn down the polygon count enough to use your cars in a racing/driving game. You'd get a kick out of it, right?

2o6

I've been kinda down lately so I've been remodeling very old meshes from when I started posting and reworking them with new styling and more realistic proportions.

album upload

The two blue hatchbacks, one is the THIRD remodel of a recent design. The other is actually a heavy rework of this model that you guys made fun of me for a long time ago.

The green coupe is a Mid-engined cheap roadster that is also a reworked old mesh. I can't find old images of it.

FoMoJo

Impressive.  Kinda like your green coupe/sports car.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

It's startling putting new meshes next to old ones.

I've come a long way in regards to surfacing and proportions. The old cars kind of do look like melted candles.

I've also switched from cycles rendering (ray tracing) to blender's new real-time renderer: Eevee. Eevee isn't a ray tracer and it's calculation of lighting isn't quite realistic, but it still looks good and makes up for it by being lighting quick.

Each image in cycles would generally take me 15-20 mins to render.

Eevee? Around 15 seconds.

I also got another paint shader, this one can accurately do paint better - orange peel, metallic flake, and I can finally get colors like yellow and white to render out without looking like total trash.

2o6

Next up:

Can I salvage this hot ass mess???

2o6

Eye of the Tiger

Is that the real Fucko Magucko?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Wow.  Your cars even had CarPlay back in the day.  Further ahead than Toyota.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

I remade this thing. Y'all seemed to like it. The surfacing needs work, but the idea is there.

Now the pillars aren't a mile wide and the belt line doesn't rise up to your cheek.

Eye of the Tiger

Edgy.
What is the scale?
Daihatsu Copen, Toyota 86, or Aston Martin Vanquish?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 31, 2019, 04:21:25 PM
Edgy.
What is the scale?
Daihatsu Copen, Toyota 86, or Aston Martin Vanquish?

370Z, but maybe a bit shorter.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

I'm learning how to composite 3D models onto real photos.

It's harder than I thought

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

2o6

Quote from: MrH on February 22, 2019, 01:52:17 PM

So, this is wrong.

Since I'm bored and shut in, I've been remodeling old shit. I also want to make a car for the game BeamNG, which means it needs a lot of parts modeled. I also kept saying "Its in scale!" and it was never in scale. When I started actually scaling the cars around wheels, some of my cars were a bit....off. One car was supposed to be "subcompact" but was 10" wider than a current gen Honda Civic.

So here's an old car I remodeled and separated. Its a bit crude in some spaces, but you can see the differences in actual wheel sizes.

So I remodeled this car from back in like 2012.

In theory, this wouldn't be a "new" car. since BeamNG has a lot of cars from different eras, (there's a fake GM FWD A-body) this could potentially the slot of a cheapo Korean hatchback from 2006. Think Chevy Aveo.

When properly scaled, this car is 149.8" long, 58" tall, and 62" wide. It's about an inch shorter than the 2006-2011 Toyota Yaris hatchback, but about an inch wider. Here's a comparison of all the wheels:

165/70/R13

175/65/R14

185/60/R15

185/50/R16

205/40/R17

It's a little crude, but WIP.

This car has also gotten a similar reworking - not sure if I want it in BeamNG tho.

For reference, this is what BeamNG is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btnT7kKx8RI

2o6

Since BeamNG uses fictional cars from time periods (one of my favorite cars is clearly a GM A-body from the mid 1980's) this car would be from 2005. So I've been crafting a circa 2004+ interior, complete with this (to scale!) single DIN head unit that I modeled after a Saturn SL.

It's bump-mapped - that radio is actually only one polygon. Modeling 3D geometry to look like this would be too hard, so I drew the radio out in 2D, then bump-mapped it to give an illusion of actual 3D geometry.

[url=https://postimages.org/]

'

The radio is actually just this 2D image I made today ^^

Laconian

One polygon?! Bump mapping is voodoo shit!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on March 25, 2020, 10:19:17 PM
One polygon?! Bump mapping is voodoo shit!

I think it may actually be more like 12-18, but it's irrelevant - the DIN cutout is a flat rectangle. I could get away with one singular quad polygon if I really wanted to.

Bump mapping save a LOT of rendering time. If I were to hand model that radio, it would likely be another 1000 polygons.

2o6

also I don't think I posted this here: here's all the shit that I like, to scale. Two of them I thought would be "subcompact" are actually small compacts. 164" long for a hatchback is about 3" shorter than a VW Golf. Most subcompact are 4m (157")

2o6

Trying to get this car ready for Beam NG. I went from 200K triangles, to 98k. The car has frame rails and an engine, albeit they are parts from the original game that I've altered significantly.

Also, look how weird it looks to it's original I made in 2011. The surfacing on the old car is so....wavy.

suspension and frame parts