ALPHA.... I mean Alfa!!!!!

Started by r0tor, October 12, 2018, 05:19:56 PM

r0tor

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 09, 2019, 06:54:34 AM
Hey Rotor,

How about an Alfa for the wife?  :mrcool:

Actually I would love getting a Stelvio for her... The dealer has a 2018 leftover for like $33k.  I don't think it's big enough for family vacation trips though
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

I should add some more review stuff I guess...

- the thing is extremely good in the snow.  Between the rear biased awd, the rear lsd, and the stability control it turns and accelerates fantastically in the snow and you can easily get it into small controlled drifts.  If it had more ground clearance I would easily choose it over our Jeep for bad storms (that never really likes to turn in the snow under power)... Stelvio is probably a winter Rockstar

- still stuck on 0.9gs for peak lateral... Damn cold/ice/potholes are probably going to make that record hold for awhile

- cracked off a 4.46 0-60mph run this week (aided by nice 40deg air)

- still averaging about 29mpg.  Should only get better this spring/summer/fall.

So so far it has been reliable, fuel efficient, comfortable, big enough for the family, extremely frikkin fun, and great all weather grocery getter... Pretty much why I always wanted a sports sedan  :praise:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

thewizard16

Sharp looking car, belated congratulations!

And don't let these guys hassle you... You can't be the only person in the world who was tired of their Ford being so unreliable they went out and bought an Italian car.

92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

FoMoJo

Quote from: thewizard16 on February 09, 2019, 11:07:44 AM
Sharp looking car, belated congratulations!

And don't let these guys hassle you... You can't be the only person in the world who was tired of their Ford being so unreliable they went out and bought an Italian car.
Jeep, it was his Jeep.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

thewizard16

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 09, 2019, 03:05:11 PM
Jeep, it was his Jeep.
Admittedly I am easily confused and haven't been in the loop, but I thought:
Quote from: r0tor on October 13, 2018, 07:20:16 PM
We dumped the wife's Focus and then she took the Jeep.

It was sort of a shame for the Focus as it only had 40k miles and looked like new yet... But it went through 3 DCT clutches (only under warranty for another year) and I had a strong suspicion that a ball joint was going.  So it was time to go event hough resale value was horrible.

The next gen JGC will be on the Giulia platform, so maybe in a couple years I can double down on alfa goodness  :lol:
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

r0tor

:pullover: :pullover: :pullover:Special Announcement :pullover: :pullover: :pullover:

I just got the Giulia to pull 0.96gs on an off ramp!!!

On power as well and it was the rear that ever so slightly started to break traction... The front end of these cars is just amazing

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on February 09, 2019, 04:28:23 PM
:pullover: :pullover: :pullover:Special Announcement :pullover: :pullover: :pullover:

I just got the Giulia to pull 0.96gs on an off ramp!!!

On power as well and it was the rear that ever so slightly started to break traction... The front end of these cars is just amazing
Does it have twist beam?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

r0tor

r0tor

I think the front grip is a direct result of their Ackerman geometry (inside front wheel turns more/less than the outside front wheel) combined with some secret sauce shock tuning.

Something everyone must experience at some time.

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on February 09, 2019, 05:10:31 PM
I think the front grip is a direct result of their Ackerman geometry (inside front wheel turns more/less than the outside front wheel) combined with some secret sauce shock tuning.

I could look it up, but what is the rear suspension>  I would suspect some form of multi-link as opposed to double wishbone.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on February 09, 2019, 05:10:31 PM

I think the inside wheel should always turn more, unless you don't really want to turn.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

r0tor

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 09, 2019, 05:14:21 PM
I could look it up, but what is the rear suspension>  I would suspect some form of multi-link as opposed to double wishbone.

It's multilink...

Some really good details and explanations.... https://enzari.com/2018/11/alfa-romeo-reveal-driving-dynamics-secrets/

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 09, 2019, 07:45:02 AM
That is one pretty little hatch.  My wife would love something like that; in that exact colour.

These little Giulietta's are quite the head-turners, especially in red. Very stylish small cars.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: r0tor on February 09, 2019, 07:55:18 AM

Actually I would love getting a Stelvio for her... The dealer has a 2018 leftover for like $33k.  I don't think it's big enough for family vacation trips though

Damn! How much baggage do you guys take along? :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Eye of the Tiger

A "semi-virtual steering axis", and a four-and-a-half link reae suspension? Pfffft. My Dakota has a fully virtual steering axis, and a six link rear suspension! I mean, I can drop the rear axle out by removing six bolts.

r0tor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 10, 2019, 07:51:13 AM
A "semi-virtual steering axis", and a four-and-a-half link reae suspension? Pfffft. My Dakota has a fully virtual steering axis, and a six link rear suspension! I mean, I can drop the rear axle out by removing six bolts.

So is it virtual because it doesn't actualy turn?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on February 10, 2019, 12:34:16 PM
So is it virtual because it doesn't actualy turn?

Something like that  :lol:

cawimmer430

Hey Rotor, our new cars together!  :rockon:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

r0tor

Oooo nice quadrofogololfoglio!

cawimmer430

Quote from: r0tor on February 17, 2019, 08:18:32 AM
Oooo nice quadrofogololfoglio!

Was cruising next to one yesterday on the Autobahn. Lovely ride!

www.wimmerfotografie.de

r0tor

I need to pick up a rear spoiler like that for my car once it warms up

cawimmer430

Quote from: r0tor on February 17, 2019, 08:30:26 AM
I need to pick up a rear spoiler like that for my car once it warms up

I thought that was standard?

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Eye of the Tiger

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

r0tor

Eye of the Tiger

Can you get the entire quadriarchipelagogalapogos body kit?

r0tor

The differences are very small... Some extra carbon bits here and there, some speed holes in the hood, and room for more pipes in the rear bumper... Oh and most importantly the good luck badge

cawimmer430

Get the spoiler and the badges and visually turn your Giulia into the QV!  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

r0tor

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 17, 2019, 05:19:41 PM
Get the spoiler and the badges and visually turn your Giulia into the QV!  :ohyeah:

nah, thats too much of a ricer... errr is that a pastamaker?