Speed Double (aka The Cockroach)

Started by 12,000 RPM, May 17, 2016, 08:07:22 PM

12,000 RPM

Overdue I guess

Finally got the brake lines done. Lever is tite like prom nite. Now all that's left is the rear shock and the bike is about as good as I'm willing to spend to make it.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SVT_Power

Should've gotten a shorter muffler, that yoshi is ruining the underbody exhaust
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

CaminoRacer

That's a Grom headlight, right? Looks sweet.

Do you just have a bar end mirror on the left side?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

shp4man

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT_Power on May 17, 2016, 08:53:38 PM
Should've gotten a shorter muffler, that yoshi is ruining the underbody exhaust
Doesn't bother me, I like it

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 17, 2016, 09:50:36 PM
That's a Grom headlight, right? Looks sweet.

Do you just have a bar end mirror on the left side?
Yep I retrofitted a projector into it too. That pic is like 3 years old, I have regular mirrors. BE mirrors could be interesting though.

12,000 RPM

Ha.... now that the brakes have such great feel it's obvious the pads are shit. No stopping power. So now, rear shock and pad. I am probably going to bleed the rear soon as well

MrH

Why are you calling it the Cockroach?  All I can think of is that Modest Mouse song.  Doin' the Cockroach!
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Its been down like 5 times and it's still truck'n

This was it when I got it

12,000 RPM

Put the EBC HH pads on, changed the coolant overflow reservoir and topped off the coolant (last overflow reservoir had a crack in it)

Hope those pads bed in quickly.... looking forward to lower lever effort and better feel. All I need now is a rear shock and this bike is finished for mods. I gotta sort out some electrical shit though.

giant_mtb

12,000 RPM

Yea I hate the bucktoothed look of the fairings. All the upright standards have the same problem.

New brakes feel incredible! Haven't even been close to bedded in and they grip better. Def warrants 2 finger braking. So much nicer into corners.... I can get on and off the brakes much smoother.

Something is up with my chain. I think the shop that installed it years ago didn't take enough links out. I banged peg on one of my favorite tight left handers and it popped off :facepalm: Debating whether to just take a link out or just remove everything. I think I will start with taking out a link and see what happens.

SVT_Power

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 07, 2016, 05:43:56 AM
Yea I hate the bucktoothed look of the fairings. All the upright standards have the same problem.

New brakes feel incredible! Haven't even been close to bedded in and they grip better. Def warrants 2 finger braking. So much nicer into corners.... I can get on and off the brakes much smoother.

Something is up with my chain. I think the shop that installed it years ago didn't take enough links out. I banged peg on one of my favorite tight left handers and it popped off :facepalm: Debating whether to just take a link out or just remove everything. I think I will start with taking out a link and see what happens.

Your chain "popped off"? Wtf?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Cookie Monster

If they installed it years ago I have a hard time believing it as their fault it fell off unless you don't ride at all. Chains do stretch and you're supposed to adjust them every 1-2k miles... You got lucky that didn't jam up between your sprocket and swingarm or something and cause you to lose control or fly off.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

It's either too long or stretched beyond repair. I got a new chain/sprocket set coming later in the week and the chain tool coming tonight so I will drop a link on the chain that's on now and then replace it when the other shit comes in. It's still on the original sprockets so that probably fucked up the new chain right away. Stay on top of chain maintenance kids.

SVT_Power

Speaking of which, I should check my chain :lol:

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 07, 2016, 08:42:26 AM
It's either too long or stretched beyond repair. I got a new chain/sprocket set coming later in the week and the chain tool coming tonight so I will drop a link on the chain that's on now and then replace it when the other shit comes in. It's still on the original sprockets so that probably fucked up the new chain right away. Stay on top of chain maintenance kids.

I check my chain for proper tension basically every ride.  Also, I'm in need of a couple extra links.  Send 'em over. :lol:

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

I agree, it looks good naked

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT_Power

12,000 RPM

Man changing a chain is no joke. Had to get an impact gun, a 22 & 27mm socket, a chain kit and a bunch of other shit. Pretty straightforward though and I'm definitely gonna use most of that shit again, if for no other reason than tire swaps

CaminoRacer

Electric or air impact?

12,000 RPM

Electric, can't justify a tank right now. Worked well enough, only $45!

Pretty cool vid on how they work. Humans man... we figure shit out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0gSJa3L_7c

CaminoRacer

I've used an electric a few times and they're awesome, but I'm not sure if they'd handle some of the hardcore bolts I use the air impact for. Like getting 40 year old rusty bolts off. I guess I'll just have to try it and find out.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 12, 2016, 03:41:43 PM
Man changing a chain is no joke. Had to get an impact gun, a 22 & 27mm socket, a chain kit and a bunch of other shit. Pretty straightforward though and I'm definitely gonna use most of that shit again, if for no other reason than tire swaps

Why did you need sockets and impact to press a pin and put on a chain?  Have you never taken your rear wheel off before? 

12,000 RPM

I needed new sprockets too. They were worn to shit.

12,000 RPM

Throttle response is so much better... pulls way smoother

12,000 RPM

I cannot get over how much smoother it is! I am such an idiot. I am definitely going to be more diligent with chain tension and maintenance. It feels like it got a tune. It pulls so smooth it almost feels slower since the driveline lash doesn't make the power hit like before. But that's all good. I feel like I could do gymkhana :lol:

12,000 RPM

Ordered a new rear shock... got a Progressive 1 way shock for a Versys to hike up the ass and give me rebound adjustment. I took it for a ride today and that rear shock is soggy as shit. Versys shock will be a little softer than a 650R one, but I really want the rake and it's the cheapest adjustable rear shock for this bike.

Also got all the shit for my annual oil change.

12,000 RPM

Got the shock in.... installation and quick impressions:

- Versys frame has wider mounts.... was an adventure fabbing up a replacement for the spacer :facepalm:
- Rear end is definitely hiked up. Have to readjust my headlight a good bit. Bike def seems to want to dive into corners more as opposed to leaning back like a boat.... will take some getting used to
- Spring rate seems a bit softer than I hoped. Going to have to take it on a longer ride to see if I like it, but initial impression seemed so-so. Front seems to match the back though

Mixed feels. Going to see if I can ride to work one day to get a full impression

Eye of the Tiger

I don't know about bike geometries so much, but make sure you don't get the speed wobbles above 25 Hz or whatever MPH
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)