Tao Tao 50 scooty puff jr

Started by Eye of the Tiger, September 11, 2020, 04:15:19 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Go some custom CVT variator roller weights and carb jets for $12. An 80cc big bore kit starts around $30. Scooty parts are cheap as hell.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 13, 2020, 04:46:21 PM
Go some custom CVT variator roller weights and carb jets for $12. An 80cc big bore kit starts around $30. Scooty parts are cheap as hell.

Is it a Chinese copy of the old Honda 50 motor? Will parts interchange?

Payman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 13, 2020, 04:46:21 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on September 13, 2020, 04:58:42 PM
Is it a Chinese copy of the old Honda 50 motor? Will parts interchange?

I don't think there is a reason to interchange. There is a huuuuuuge aftermarket for the Chinese GY6 / QMB engines.

Laconian

I did a Google search for Taotao Scooter 50cc. Google tried to answer a question for me.

Q: How fast is 50cc in mph?
A: 40-45 miles per hour

AI supremacy: a long ways to go :thumbsup:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

I kind of wish I bought a shitty gas scooter during my college days. It would've been perfect.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on September 13, 2020, 06:38:55 PM
I did a Google search for Taotao Scooter 50cc. Google tried to answer a question for me.

:wtf:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on September 13, 2020, 06:38:55 PM

Its not wrong wrong, but its still wrong.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Weighed the variator rollers at 6-grams.
Need lower gearing for hill climbs.
Got some new 4-gram variator rollers.
Dog stole them and chewed on them
Just installed them, anyway.

Eye of the Tiger

Climbs hills at 30 now. Screaming all the way. Sweeeeeet.

MX793

so have you taken it off any sweet jumps yet?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on September 16, 2020, 12:46:29 PM
so have you taken it off any sweet jumps yet?

Do speed humps count? I spilled my coffee, so ...

Eye of the Tiger

Added moar red LED tail lights. Done did change the oil to 5w40 synthetic. Lubed the brakes. Fiddled with the carb. Scootin pretty darn good now. Almost no need for any more power. Almost.

Morris Minor

I'm living sudden active scooter scooter interest through this thread.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

shp4man

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 17, 2020, 05:03:44 AM
I'm living sudden active scooter scooter interest through this thread.

Ya. It would be kick in the ass to own a scooter or maybe a 250cc bike.

MX793

Some of the "super scooters" are motorcycle fast.  You could legit tour with them.  After his Goldwing got to be too much weight for my grandfather, he got a 400cc Suzuki scooter as a runabout (which was what he used the Wing for mostly).  That thing was surprisingly fast.  Comparable to a 250cc bike, for sure.  Had no trouble accelerating from a stop to 60 mph on a decent incline.  I didn't really need to give it the spurs and it didn't feel like it was working that hard and it pulled up the hill quick enough to stay ahead of typical traffic.  Pretty sure it would do 80+.  And that was the small engine model.  There's a 650cc version with like double the power.

I will say that highway speeds on a scooter is a weird feeling.  I like being able to grip the bike between my legs to help stay more planted on the machine.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Rode to work through Sally this morning. F that

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on September 17, 2020, 09:13:34 AM
Some of the "super scooters" are motorcycle fast.  You could legit tour with them.  After his Goldwing got to be too much weight for my grandfather, he got a 400cc Suzuki scooter as a runabout (which was what he used the Wing for mostly).  That thing was surprisingly fast.  Comparable to a 250cc bike, for sure.  Had no trouble accelerating from a stop to 60 mph on a decent incline.  I didn't really need to give it the spurs and it didn't feel like it was working that hard and it pulled up the hill quick enough to stay ahead of typical traffic.  Pretty sure it would do 80+.  And that was the small engine model.  There's a 650cc version with like double the power.

I will say that highway speeds on a scooter is a weird feeling.  I like being able to grip the bike between my legs to help stay more planted on the machine.

Some scoots can certainly be fast.
For my commute, the 50cc scoot just does the trick. Of course, it is basically WOT all the time.
Now that I have it fine tuned, it will do 35-40 MPH on flat ground, climb the steepest hills at 20-25, and hit 50+ down hills.

Eye of the Tiger

Ordered a damn $20 Frogg Toggs rain suit. No more trash bags.

Eye of the Tiger

Laconian

Eye of the Tiger

Scooty does not seem to use gas.
I believe it is powered by mathamagic.

r0tor

I can't imagine how slow that has to be... I bought a "125cc" Tao Tao 4 wheeler for the kid a few years ago and that thing is a complete joke.  Moderately better after I replaced the Chinese  carb with a $25 chinese carb from Amazon.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 18, 2020, 04:27:58 PM
Scooty does not seem to use gas.
I believe it is powered by mathamagic.

That is pretty cool. Square wave as you approach infinity.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on September 18, 2020, 07:15:37 PM
I can't imagine how slow that has to be... I bought a "125cc" Tao Tao 4 wheeler for the kid a few years ago and that thing is a complete joke.  Moderately better after I replaced the Chinese  carb with a $25 chinese carb from Amazon.

It is basically WOT, all the time. This thing is geared for streetz. So far, I've hit the left turn signal with the speedo needle. That is an indicated 60 MPH, actual probably 53 MPH. Starting on hills is tough. On the steepest hill, it will crawl up at 15 MPH. Usually, it will not drop below 30.

Eye of the Tiger

I pulled the spark plug, and it has a nice beige color - just right. I got a set of main jets for the carb, so I might try going up a size, and then opening up the air intake a bit. I think I can squeeze another 0.3 HP out of it. That's like a 10%  increase in power.

Eye of the Tiger

It's like a race car, mang. 100% of the power, as much as possible. If it can be 110%, that is yooooge. Such race. Very tuning.

Laconian

LS1 swap. The engine vee would make a comfortable saddle. Just wear asbestos pants.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on September 19, 2020, 12:41:34 PM
LS1 swap. The engine vee would make a comfortable saddle. Just wear asbestos pants.

I could make pants out of my attic insulation!

Eye of the Tiger