C7 Corvette

Started by Cookie Monster, December 29, 2012, 11:09:40 PM

Cookie Monster

I think the only reason people are talking shit about the leaf spring setup is because trucks use them and are deemed unrefined and un sporty.

I personally don't give a fuck and think the car is awesome (other than the weird 7 speed manual).
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rockraven on December 30, 2012, 01:19:00 PM
So why the lol?

And in another thread he claims the car isn't "highly developed" enough. FailSPIN.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

Quote from: S204STi on December 30, 2012, 12:55:42 PM
The racing team apparently doesn't like them, so...

Look, it's like Mac Struts in terms of being a packaging compromise.  A well-engineered compromise, but one nonetheless.  And like with Porsche's use of struts (and BMW's) it works well.

For a street car I guess I don't care, but I find it intriguing, if I were in the market, for them to engineer one with coilovers for racing use.  I think that's the one main reason why I would prefer the Viper.

Still, I'd own one of these.

The racing team constantly adjusts the suspension for every race to get the fastest set up. Production cars don't really need adjustable suspension - most people will just muck it up anyway.

GoCougs

Quote from: Rockraven on December 30, 2012, 01:19:00 PM
So why the lol?

Complex doesn't automatically mean good or "highly" developed.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: thecarnut on December 30, 2012, 01:23:02 PM
I think the only reason people are talking shit about the leaf spring setup is because trucks use them and are deemed unrefined and un sporty.

I personally don't give a fuck and think the car is awesome (other than the weird 7 speed manual).
I don't care either, I love Corvettes. The leaf spring is just an aspect of it I find goofy

S204STi

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 30, 2012, 02:40:43 PM
The racing team constantly adjusts the suspension for every race to get the fastest set up. Production cars don't really need adjustable suspension - most people will just muck it up anyway.

Yes, the point about chassis tuning is exactly why I'm not a huge fan.

True, it doesn't matter most of the time. If I want coilovers, I can buy a Viper.

S204STi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 30, 2012, 03:20:31 PM
I don't care either, I love Corvettes. The leaf spring is just an aspect of it I find goofy

No, you see, you tried to make a reasoned argument as to why you don't prefer the OE setup, so now everyone is going to jump up and down screaming about how the car is just fine, ur a noob, etc. Even though you never denied it was a great car.

S204STi

Quote from: GoCougs on December 30, 2012, 01:00:30 PM
Guys, the Corvette's leaf springs are much more complex than a coil; in manufacturing (multiple layers, epoxy, curing), in design (variable rate in a leaf) and in application (acts as a roll bar, dealing with L/R cross talk).

Ask racing drivers how they feel about progressive rate springs. They suck badly when it comes to predicting handling at the limit. Possibly why Vettes have perennially been known as nasty at the limit.

hotrodalex

Quote from: S204STi on December 30, 2012, 08:53:53 PM
Ask racing drivers how they feel about progressive rate springs. They suck badly when it comes to predicting handling at the limit. Possibly why Vettes have perennially been known as nasty at the limit.

IIRC the fancy shocks help with driving at the limit. Probably why Pobst could take it around Laguna Seca faster than the Viper.

edit: Disclaimer - I'm not saying that is the only reason, just speculating. The super sticky tires probably helped a ton, along with 100 other variables between the cars.

edit #2: Motortrend seems to agree, though.

QuoteRegardless, we know the cars are just as quick as each other. It was the SRT's inferior shocks and brakes that prevented Randy from going totally flat in the Viper. Years ago, a Ferrari engineer was explaining to Randy, Angus and I that they (Ferrari) simply couldn't figure out how the Nissan GT-R is able to lap the Nurburgring Nordschleife so quickly. "Oh, I know why," Randy piped up. "Confidence. You can drive it faster because you're more confident." This seems to be exactly the case here with these two muscle-bound freaks.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1212_2013_chevrolet_corvette_zr1_srt_viper_gts/viewall.html#ixzz2GbJBR1oB

LonghornTX

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 30, 2012, 09:20:49 PM
IIRC the fancy shocks help with driving at the limit. Probably why Pobst could take it around Laguna Seca faster than the Viper.

edit: Disclaimer - I'm not saying that is the only reason, just speculating. The super sticky tires probably helped a ton, along with 100 other variables between the cars.

edit #2: Motortrend seems to agree, though.

Pobst is kind of a homer to me...I would put more emphasis on the tires and the brakes then the suspension (Viper has pretty nice shocks, just not constantly adjustable). MT, like so many people, seem to think that because the cars tires had the same wear ratings that they have equal levels of grip. That is completely wrong, and so they never address the fact that the ZR1 has significantly better tires on it. Good tires make the difference in confidence at the limit.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

LonghornTX

Hopefully it doesn't end up looking like that...
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

S204STi

I dig. Glad they display oil temp; also, note the oil change interval.

Payman

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Gotta-Qik-C7

giant_mtb

Quote from: thecarnut on December 30, 2012, 01:23:02 PM

My housemate like freaked out when he heard about the 7-speed. He was like "oh my god, you're gonna be shifting SO much!" I was like...how is it honestly THAT different than a 6-speed? Adding one gear isn't gonna require Fast and the Furious numbers of shifts. It's like the difference between a 5- and 6-speed. I'm sure people were freaked out about those, too, but now it's the norm.

SVT666

7 gears in a car with a stick is getting kinda crazy.  Even in my Focus with 6 gears I would skip from 2nd to 4th and then to 6th. Just give me an ultra tall 6th.

Gotta-Qik-C7

GoCougs

More speeds = quicker + more efficient.

giant_mtb

Quote from: SVT666 on January 11, 2013, 10:16:39 PM
7 gears in a car with a stick is getting kinda crazy.  Even in my Focus with 6 gears I would skip from 2nd to 4th and then to 6th. Just give me an ultra tall 6th.

I'm rather certain that 6th in the Vette is already quite tall, hence its rather good highway mileage. The way I figure/suspect, the 7th gear is about the same as 6th is now - maybe a little taller - allowing for another useable gear for the track and other spirited driving, with the 7th pretty much only useable at highway speeds. This, I am okay with.

S204STi

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 11, 2013, 11:42:47 PM
I'm rather certain that 6th in the Vette is already quite tall, hence its rather good highway mileage. The way I figure/suspect, the 7th gear is about the same as 6th is now - maybe a little taller - allowing for another useable gear for the track and other spirited driving, with the 7th pretty much only useable at highway speeds. This, I am okay with.

This.

SVT666

With the amount of power the Vette makes, and the fact that very very few people ever take their cars to the track, 7 gears is overkill.

giant_mtb

Quote from: SVT666 on January 12, 2013, 12:31:58 AM
With the amount of power the Vette makes, and the fact that very very few people ever take their cars to the track, 7 gears is overkill.

Alright, well. Go buy an electric car, then. They've only got one gear so you can be free of having options. :huh:

Raza

I admit, a 7 speed manual does seem weird.  The stick returns to the 3/4 gate, which is the middle of the forward gears.  Going to 7 gears adds a new gate.  I could see a dedicated highway gear, but the Vette has so much power, it could get away with a 4 speed and no one would feel like it didn't fit. 

Hell, until the C6, the Corvette was sold with a 4 speed auto. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Yeah. A 7-speed is just as awkward as a 5-speed. Which means...it isn't.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on January 12, 2013, 06:54:42 AM
I admit, a 7 speed manual does seem weird.  The stick returns to the 3/4 gate, which is the middle of the forward gears.  Going to 7 gears adds a new gate.  I could see a dedicated highway gear, but the Vette has so much power, it could get away with a 4 speed and no one would feel like it didn't fit. 

Hell, until the C6, the Corvette was sold with a 4 speed auto. 

The Corvette's 7MT, like Porsche's, will not use 7 gates.  The Corvette actually had a 7MT back in the 80s.  That gearbox only had 4 gates (+1 for reversse).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 12, 2013, 06:58:10 AM
Yeah. A 7-speed is just as awkward as a 5-speed. Which means...it isn't.

5 speeds are awkward.  They're missing a gear.  :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on January 12, 2013, 07:18:41 AM
The Corvette's 7MT, like Porsche's, will not use 7 gates.  The Corvette actually had a 7MT back in the 80s.  That gearbox only had 4 gates (+1 for reversse).

How does it work then?  I've never seen the 911's new gearbox either. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on January 12, 2013, 07:29:03 AM
How does it work then?  I've never seen the 911's new gearbox either. 

I rescind my previous statement about the Porsche box, apparently it does have a 7th gear gate (I thought I had read it didn't).

According to the articles, Chevy will not use 7 forward gates.  There's a couple of different ways to implement it.  The old C4's 4+3 gearbox was a 4MT coupled with a 2 speed automatic secondary box.  2nd through 4th gears had an automatic "overdrive".

Semis are similar in that they utilize a 4-6 speed primary gearbox coupled to a 2-3 speed secondary (or range) gearbox which is also manually controlled.  In semi trucks, which have 10+ forward gears, they use a regular 4, 5, or 6 MT shift pattern which you run through multiple times and you have to also change up the range box.  So a 10 speed would have the same shift pattern as a 5MT.  You shift up to 5th as you would normally, then to engage 6th (aka 1 Hi), you flick a switch on the shifter to select hi-range and shift back into the 1st gear gate and go through the gates again.  In some older rigs, instead of a switch you actually had a second shift lever to control the range box.  I would expect something a little more automated in the Corvette if they go the route of having fewer than 7 gates.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5