New Renault Megane RS Trophy-R Is Unstoppable, Sets Another Track Record

Started by cawimmer430, November 20, 2019, 12:51:37 PM

cawimmer430

New Renault Megane RS Trophy-R Is Unstoppable, Sets Another Track Record

For a front-wheel drive hot hatch, the 2020 Renault Megane RS Trophy-R is very expensive, but it's also very fast.

So far, it holds the crown for the fastest FWD production car at several tracks, including the Nurburgring Nordschleife and Spa-Francorchamps, and another circuit has been added to that list: Australia's The Bend Motorsport Park.

The Ford Focus ST, Honda Civic Type R and Volkswagen Golf GTI challenger ran the course in 2:14.316, with James Moffat, Garry Rogers Motorsport TCR Australia driver, behind the wheel.

"To be able to take a road car and put it onto a track such as The Bend Motorsport Park and set a record time at the circuit that rivaled the times of the production cars racing here this weekend really shows the capabilities of the car", said Moffat.

"The Megane RS Trophy-R was first of all a great fun car to drive, and I was very impressed with not only the engine performance, but the braking and cornering performance, I really have nothing but good things to say about it, it was just so much fun", he added.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eba5feUi-zA

Limited to 500 units worldwide, including 12 destined for Australia, the Megane RS Trophy-R starts at AU$74,990 (US$51,080) and customer deliveries will begin next year. The Megane RS Trophy starts at AU$52,990 (US$36,094) and the regular Megane RS can be had from AU$45,990 (US$31,326) and AU$48,990 (US$33,370) in Sport and Cup spec, respectively.

Renaultsport has also announced the launch of the Megane RS Trophy-R Record Breaking special edition, which will rock the same spec as the car that broke the Nurburgring lap record. Production is limited to 30 units worldwide and one of them will launch Down Under next year, via a public auction.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/11/new-renault-megane-rs-trophy-r-is-unstoppable-sets-another-track-record/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Xer0

Honestly, this car is not that impressive when you consider how much crap is thrown at it to get it to barely be faster then the Type R at twice the price.  No backseat, deleted air con, Carbon fiber wheels and various bits and pieces, carbon ceramic brakes, and who knows what other creature comforts they took out.  And only 500 copies world wide too.  This thing was made for one reason and one reason only; to claim the fastest FWD record by any means.

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Xer0 on November 21, 2019, 09:08:06 AM
Honestly, this car is not that impressive when you consider how much crap is thrown at it to get it to barely be faster then the Type R at twice the price.  No backseat, deleted air con, Carbon fiber wheels and various bits and pieces, carbon ceramic brakes, and who knows what other creature comforts they took out.  And only 500 copies world wide too.  This thing was made for one reason and one reason only; to claim the fastest FWD record by any means.
It always used to confuse and amuse me when people would take shit like power steering and air conditioning out of their FWD family sedans :lol:

I can understand spending $50K for a spec built race car but this is kind of the worst of both worlds. Needlessly rough for the street, nowhere near hardcore enough for actual racing
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 21, 2019, 12:23:52 PM
It always used to confuse and amuse me when people would take shit like power steering and air conditioning out of their FWD family sedans :lol:

I can understand spending $50K for a spec built race car but this is kind of the worst of both worlds. Needlessly rough for the street, nowhere near hardcore enough for actual racing

Yep.  This is an example of the most finely polished turd.  At the end of the day, an economy FWD platform is not a good place to start for a race car.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

cawimmer430

It's interesting how a professional race driver praises the car, but the CarSpinners, who have never driven it, are tearing it apart.  :lol:

Yeah, it's based on a FWD economy car, but there's no denying that Renault has some serious talent for creating some fun and serious FWD driving machines.

Always remember, the GOD OF CAR TESTDRIVES, Chris Harris, was blown away by the last generation model.  :ohyeah:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsPS3cVcRiI

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

It's easy to be positive about a car you get to drive for free :huh:

As great as this car is I don't think Chris Harris would buy it over everything else available at its price.

FoMoJo

It will have limited appeal but, at 500 produced, it has limited availability.  Certainly not for everyone at that price, but still a competent performer for what it is.  Most gear heads would prefer a GT500.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 22, 2019, 08:24:46 AM
It's easy to be positive about a car you get to drive for free :huh:

As great as this car is I don't think Chris Harris would buy it over everything else available at its price.

Either he's a good actor, or he's having some serious fun driving that car. Harris strikes me as one of the more "open-minded" car reviewers who is willing to drive something different.  :ohyeah:

Did you know that privately one of the cars he owns is an early model Citroën 2CV (with about 9-horsepower) which he uses for journeys around town or even for short regional trips? I can't think of any other car journalist that would do something like that.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

I'm not saying the car isn't fun. I'm just saying absolutely nobody is going to pay BMW M2 money for it.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 22, 2019, 04:15:53 PM
I'm not saying the car isn't fun. I'm just saying absolutely nobody is going to pay BMW M2 money for it.

Don't underestimate the wealthy car enthusiast. :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MrH

The fastest FWD race car for a huge amount of money is the answer to a question no one is asking.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on November 26, 2019, 10:32:38 AM
The fastest FWD race car for a huge amount of money is the answer to a question no one is asking.

Actually......

I only know about this thing because a video on the Road Atlanta competition came up in my feed. It makes like 700WHP and ran a 1:19 at Road Atlanta. That's GT3 car fast. DEFINITELY not what I would do but there will always be people with more money than sense....

cawimmer430

Quote from: MrH on November 26, 2019, 10:32:38 AM

It might sound crazy, but I am positive there are some driving enthusiasts out there who want this thing for whatever reasons. Maybe it makes a good winter performance car over their RWD performance car fleet. Who knows...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Winter = AWD

Honestly, I think Renault just cranks these things out for marketing. We would not be talking about Renault right now if they didn't make this thing. Whether or not that's worth it is another story. But I'd almost say they're not making these to actually sell in any meaningful volume.

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 26, 2019, 01:36:32 PM
Winter = AWD

Honestly, I think Renault just cranks these things out for marketing. We would not be talking about Renault right now if they didn't make this thing. Whether or not that's worth it is another story. But I'd almost say they're not making these to actually sell in any meaningful volume.

Of course not.  They are making 500 copies world wide and like 30 of them are the 'Ring attack version with all the carbon nonsense that set that record.  This is a barely "production" car record holder made just for that.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 26, 2019, 12:40:38 PM
It might sound crazy, but I am positive there are some driving enthusiasts out there who want this thing for whatever reasons. Maybe it makes a good winter performance car over their RWD performance car fleet. Who knows...

It ticks the box for automotive perversions quite well.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator