The Grand Tour Thread

Started by Payman, October 08, 2016, 08:43:41 AM

GoCougs

I'll give it a C/C-.

Like most recent Top Gear episodes I can only make it ~20 minutes in before I get bored. Took me two additional sessions to finish this episode. The intro with the Mustangs and music was very well down however.

Most all the gags didn't really work for me - the 3 dead celebs, the mind tester thing, the redneck NASCAR driver, the "who has the better air force" fight. Plus, the centerpiece of the episode - 918 vs. P1 vs. LaFerrari - has been done to death. It also sounded like they might have been using a laugh track - audiences don't sound like that in a tent.

Raza

Let's call it a promising start. I think they wanted to do some skits and shed some of the expectation of the old show (hence the dumb celebrity skit), but they're still them and the show, I'm sure, will get better from this first episode.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on November 18, 2016, 05:33:51 PM
I'll give it a C/C-.

Like most recent Top Gear episodes I can only make it ~20 minutes in before I get bored. Took me two additional sessions to finish this episode. The intro with the Mustangs and music was very well down however.

Most all the gags didn't really work for me - the 3 dead celebs, the mind tester thing, the redneck NASCAR driver, the "who has the better air force" fight. Plus, the centerpiece of the episode - 918 vs. P1 vs. LaFerrari - has been done to death. It also sounded like they might have been using a laugh track - audiences don't sound like that in a tent.

I read this and thought you were just being your nit-picky self. Then I finally watched it... and you pretty much nailed it. I'm sure it'll get a lot better.

Payman

Probably alone in this, but that Galpin Rocket Mustang looked fantastic.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rockraven on November 19, 2016, 07:30:24 AM
Probably alone in this, but that Galpin Rocket Mustang looked fantastic.

I wanted to see more of it, for sure.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

I really hope that they use this as their theme music.
The Grand Tour
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

Even if its a C or C- its still in a different world then the steaming pile of poopy that Top Gear became
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Tave

I could be wrong but I took the 3-dead-celebs-mindtester gag to be a dig at themselves (along with those cut cues) and expect them to bring back the celebrity guest driver bit in some form or another in the future.

I thought the Skinner material was fine, hard to follow the Stig--even if they don't tone down the corny jokes I imagine he'll grow on people.

I give it a B+, now that they have that nervous energy out of the way they can relax and get back to the cars and goofing off.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

TBR

My biggest impression is that they would be well served to hold themselves to an hour. The skits would have been a lot funnier if they had been a bit shorter and the hyper car piece was also a bit long. I have yet to watch TG 3.0 but this certainly wasn't as good as peak TG 2.0

MrH

Meh. I give it a C. It was really drawn out and not all that entertaining honestly. Not a lot of interesting insight into the cars themselves either. I think the Top Gear specials were always the best (Bolivia, Vietnam, etc). Chris Harris does better actual car reviews.

Great camera work and editing as always though. Even better than Top Gear IMO.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Tave

Quote from: MrH on November 20, 2016, 08:47:17 AM
Meh. I give it a C. It was really drawn out and not all that entertaining honestly. Not a lot of interesting insight into the cars themselves either. I think the Top Gear specials were always the best (Bolivia, Vietnam, etc). Chris Harris does better actual car reviews.

Great camera work and editing as always though. Even better than Top Gear IMO.

I would say that everyone on the show probably agrees with you which is why they named it "The Grand Tour" and don't have a permanent studio.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SJ_GTI

I did watch it (in 4k) this weekend. It was OK. Very high production values obviously but I don't really get in to comparisons of super/hyper/ultra cars. Just no basis for comparison to what I drive. I liked seeing the M2 track test (was surprised it was slower than the other BMW M cars). I'll keep watching for now.

Rich

I e-mailed Amazon to see if I could get access to Prime video... and big fat nope.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MrH

Quote from: Rich on November 21, 2016, 06:52:14 AM
I e-mailed Amazon to see if I could get access to Prime video... and big fat nope.

Are you locked out because you're in Spain, or because you don't have a prime account?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rich

Quote from: MrH on November 21, 2016, 07:47:29 AM
Are you locked out because you're in Spain, or because you don't have a prime account?

Oh, I can buy a Prime membership... but I'm locked out of video since I'm in Spain.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MrH

Quote from: Rich on November 21, 2016, 08:01:07 AM
Oh, I can buy a Prime membership... but I'm locked out of video since I'm in Spain.

VPN.  Just download Hola extension for Chrome and say you're in the US.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on November 21, 2016, 08:20:41 AM
VPN.  Just download Hola extension for Chrome and say you're in the US.

They (all the big providers) know this is an option and have been working hard to squash it. What I find to be retarded about it is that they supposedly block from out of the country because of copyright blah blah.

But in many of those countries, illegal downloading runs rampant. Why not take the money instead of force users to go find an illegal download??
Will

MrH

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 21, 2016, 11:21:12 AM
They (all the big providers) know this is an option and have been working hard to squash it. What I find to be retarded about it is that they supposedly block from out of the country because of copyright blah blah.

But in many of those countries, illegal downloading runs rampant. Why not take the money instead of force users to go find an illegal download??

Yeah, it's a really silly game of cat and mouse.  The BBC is the craziest one.  They want taxes to fund a TV network.  Doesn't work when any of them take off and the internet exists.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

giant_mtb

It was pretty meh.

Not much car talk, even while driving.  Was disappointed that all the "Stig" had to say were those awful Murrica jokes...tell me about the fucking car, man!

Laughs were fake as fuck...note how they often never showed crowd faces while being zoomed in on the host telling the "joke" that probably got no laughs because most of the jokes weren't funny.  People don't rapid-fire laugh like that. :lol:

The skits were way too long and pretty dumb, IMO.

Let's hope it gets better.  Otherwise I probably won't be watching it.  My gf likes watching Top Gear with me so I'll probably watch GT ccasionally with her either way.

68_427

Quote from: Rich on November 21, 2016, 08:01:07 AM

The streaming sites all have TGT uploaded to them.  Shit like Putlocker etc
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Galaxy

Quote from: Rich on November 21, 2016, 06:52:14 AM

You sure Amazon Spain does not have it? Amazon Germany does, and it is in english to.

68_427

Quote from: Galaxy on November 22, 2016, 06:33:29 AM
You sure Amazon Spain does not have it? Amazon Germany does, and it is in english to.

Only 4 countries right now.  Over 200 come December
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CaminoRacer

I think the problem is there is no Amazon video streaming of any sort in Spain? If so, that's odd. Get a VPN.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

last nights episode was pretty "meh" for me
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on November 25, 2016, 10:08:09 AM
last nights episode was pretty "meh" for me

New episode? Don't spoil it. I'm watching tonight.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

So disappointed. I don't recall the old Top Gear making me cringe and groan so much. I'm still holding out hope they'll do Bolivia/Botswana/Vietnam style shows, but until then... sigh.

Oh, and get rid of Mike fucking Skinner.  :facepalm:

CaminoRacer

Having the car show/review format holding them back in the OG TG was probably good for creativity. When you have no limits it's easy to go too far and end up with something dumb.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

It's like they're trying hard to appeal to the Honey Boo Boo audience.  :hammerhead:

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rockraven on November 25, 2016, 02:51:22 PM
It's like they're trying hard to appeal to the Honey Boo Boo audience.  :hammerhead:

For real.  There was too much Murrica This and Murrica That and nothing of any real substance or intelligence...they hardly talked numbers or technology for anything.  Like bruh, this is a car show. We don't give a fuck about your stupid jokes.

Morris Minor

Saw Episode 2.  Still not working for me. They went to South Africa. Set up the tent. Did a few jokes about South Africa between running vids of escapades elsewhere. So there was really nothing South African in it. They could just as well have set up the tent in  some generic office parking lot in some generic city somewhere, anywhere.

I'll be generous and downgrade my vote only to C-
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși