Rental Car thread

Started by Laconian, February 27, 2017, 08:50:47 PM

Laconian

You'd think that he'd be used to this by now, given that he's rented enough to have "Elite" status.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

Quote from: 68_427 on March 28, 2017, 01:52:29 PM
We were driving the Yukon out of the lot and he rolled the window down while CONTINUING TO DRIVE by an employee and yelled "Is it ok if I take this one?!"

:lol:

Dad joke or serious question? Maybe he's just trying to get on your nerves. :lol:

CaminoRacer

I would get along well with Cale's dad.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

68_427

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 28, 2017, 02:06:48 PM
Dad joke or serious question? Maybe he's just trying to get on your nerves. :lol:

At this point it may have been intentional :lol:

Then again it's just as likely he was serious.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

veeman

I rent cars probably 5 or so times a year.  Usually whenever I fly because I don't like to inconvenience others for rides and I like to be in control of where and when I'm going somewhere.  I usually book through Priceline from airports and usually get a compact or midsize for less than $20 a day although that doesn't take into account fees. Sometimes at the counter I'll splurge and upgrade to a full size SUV if I'm with my family or a sporty coupe if I'm by myself but only if it's reasonable.  Never get any supplemental insurance because my own auto insurance will cover me as long as I'm not in an international location. I've never had a serious issue with the counter folk. 

The most pleasant surprise I've ever rented was a Chrysler 300.  V6.  I didn't expect it to drive so nice and quiet.  Shittiest car which I've had twice was a Nissan Versa.  I know it's an econobox and for it's price it's probably fine.

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on March 28, 2017, 03:51:09 AM
Ah.  We got lucky with my dad's corporate account that Yukon cost him $16/day and they didn't charge us for forgetting to re-fill with fuel.  I'm so jealous I can't wait till I turn 25 so I can use his account :lol:

You're not 25 yet!?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

Quote from: Raza  on March 29, 2017, 05:05:02 AM
You're not 25 yet!?

A little over a year to go.  The last time I rented a car the insurance cost TWICE what the entire rental did
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on March 29, 2017, 05:38:00 AM
A little over a year to go.  The last time I rented a car the insurance cost TWICE what the entire rental did

Damn, son.  How old were you when you joined this forum?  10?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

Quote from: Raza  on March 29, 2017, 05:38:53 AM
Damn, son.  How old were you when you joined this forum?  10?

Pretty fuckin close :lol:
'racecar is die'
no

afty

I'm driving a Grand Cherokee on a family vacation right now. I like it -- decently roomy, good powertrain (Pentastar + 8-speed), and solid chassis.

Lebowski

Rented a Rav4 last night (selected"ford escape or similar" but got a RAV4) for our Tahoe-Sacramento trip.  Haven't driven it much but so far it's meh, I guess I would have expected it to be more of a mini/4Runner.

Laconian

Quote from: Lebowski on April 11, 2017, 10:12:13 AM
Rented a Rav4 last night (selected"ford escape or similar" but got a RAV4) for our Tahoe-Sacramento trip.  Haven't driven it much but so far it's meh, I guess I would have expected it to be more of a mini/4Runner.

Eh... it's a suburban runabout.

Too bad you didn't get the Escape. They have really nice seats.

MrH

Quote from: afty on April 10, 2017, 11:53:07 PM
I'm driving a Grand Cherokee on a family vacation right now. I like it -- decently roomy, good powertrain (Pentastar + 8-speed), and solid chassis.

They drive pretty well, but they're too small interior wise for me.

I've driven that whole class of crossovers a ton of times.  Very different feel from the 4Runner.  Sight lines and driving position are just a lot different.  They're all pretty boring but efficient and comfortable so they sell.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

BimmerM3

Yeah, as far as rental cars go, I didn't hate the RAV4. It served it's purpose without being terrible.

The Elantra I have right now isn't bad other than the steering. No feedback whatsoever. I basically have to guess-and-check my steering inputs - make a small adjustment, see where the car goes, adjust from there, etc. It's a brand new car though, which is pretty cool. 900ish miles when I picked it up - still has the temp tag and everything. :lol:

Laconian

Sounds like Hyundai steering. I noticed the same thing with the Tucson.

68_427

There is a Mini 4Runner type concept vehicle debuting today

Renegade sized but with Mechanical four-wheel drive and selectable low-range.
'racecar is die'
no

BimmerM3

Quote from: 68_427 on April 11, 2017, 11:04:49 PM
There is a Mini 4Runner type concept vehicle debuting today

Renegade sized but with Mechanical four-wheel drive and selectable low-range.

This intrigues me.

CALL_911

Haven't driven much of that class, but I liked the Escape I've had a rental.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on April 11, 2017, 09:48:15 PM
I was so scared the Genesis would have typical Hyundai steering. I came away relieved. I'm still curious about the new Elantra sport though.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

afty

Quote from: Laconian on April 11, 2017, 09:48:15 PM
Yup, our Kia Sorento has that same dead steering.

BimmerM3

Quote from: afty on April 12, 2017, 02:37:42 PM
Yup, our Kia Sorento has that same dead steering.

I can't speak for the Sorento, I don't remember the Kia Souls that I've had to be nearly as bad as the Elantra.

CaminoRacer

My dad texted me this morning and said he has a Hemi Challenger for the week. Also said it does good burnouts. :lol:

veeman

Was in Palm Springs for a week.  Rented an economy car and at the counter asked if they had any specials on coups like a Camaro or Mustang.  Hertz guy said they were out but they do have a MB SLK convertible.  I said nahhh, that'll be too much.  He said to hold on and I may be surprised.  $75 extra total for 4 days.  Hot damn!  So I took it.

This is my favorite rental car ever.  Putting it in Sport mode, I don't miss a manual transmission.  Power is immediate and plenty.  Low parking lot speeds, Sport mode makes the car very jumpy but once on the open road, it's a blast.  Looks great, canyon carver (relative to anything I've ever owned), slick top operation, not very fuel thirsty. 

I want this car.  Too bad Northeastern US roads are not like in Palm Springs.  I haven't seen a single pot hole yet here.  Also I need a backseat at home.  Fun fun week though here.

MX793

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 12, 2017, 07:30:39 PM
I can't speak for the Sorento, I don't remember the Kia Souls that I've had to be nearly as bad as the Elantra.

I had a Soul as a rental a couple of years ago and I don't remember it being as bad as the Forte.  Very well may have been alignment.  The Forte was in Detroit, where the roads are quite pitted, and the Soul was in Florida, where you're hard pressed to find a pothole.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

Quote from: veeman on April 27, 2017, 07:30:19 PM
Was in Palm Springs for a week.  Rented an economy car and at the counter asked if they had any specials on coups like a Camaro or Mustang.  Hertz guy said they were out but they do have a MB SLK convertible.  I said nahhh, that'll be too much.  He said to hold on and I may be surprised.  $75 extra total for 4 days.  Hot damn!  So I took it.

This is my favorite rental car ever.  Putting it in Sport mode, I don't miss a manual transmission.  Power is immediate and plenty.  Low parking lot speeds, Sport mode makes the car very jumpy but once on the open road, it's a blast.  Looks great, canyon carver (relative to anything I've ever owned), slick top operation, not very fuel thirsty. 

I want this car.  Too bad Northeastern US roads are not like in Palm Springs.  I haven't seen a single pot hole yet here.  Also I need a backseat at home.  Fun fun week though here.

:rockon:

veeman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 28, 2017, 01:21:44 AM
:rockon:

Yes.  Totally.  True first sports car experience.  Drove about 1200 miles in 4 days, back and forth to San Diego and LA where I have some cousins and friends.  Most fun car I've ever driven, bar none.  On my way home from the airport in NYC today while driving my new Crosstrek, I was thinking... if only this car was lower, better handling, faster, had a shaded glass top button operated convertible roof, and better looking it would be great :lol:  Then I hit my first pot hole of the day...

FoMoJo

Was it white?  Every one I've seen has been white.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

veeman

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 28, 2017, 09:26:40 AM
Was it white?  Every one I've seen has been white.

Yes, white.  Beautiful car.  Inside dashboard looked and felt very average.  Shaded glass convertible top was awesome.  Even in the direct sun, the only glare came from the front windshield. 

12,000 RPM

Not exactly a rental car for me, but one in general... lil bro in law's Versa Note; somehow everyone felt I would be the better driver after 22 hours awake for travel than my MIL. With MIL, wifey, luggage and A/C the lack of power was alarming. Basically made haste via momentum and God's grace. The Fit CVT rental I had put this thing to shame.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs