Most exciting cars from around 2000

Started by mzziaz, January 24, 2019, 02:54:53 PM

mzziaz

The Norwegian govt. has decided to abolish most taxes on importing cars 20 years or older.

That opens up some interesting possibilities for cars that were previously uneconomical to import (especially reasonably priced gas guzzlers)

C5 Corvette is the obvious choice.
Also, I kind of like the old Panther platform cars.

Any other gems from that era?

What else could be worth getting?
Cuore Sportivo

Xer0

If the C5 is on the list than the Viper and Cobra Mustangs of the time probably should be too.  I'm a big fan of the Terminator Mustangs of that era.

If you care about pickups, the F-150 Lightning and the Ram R/T10 are pretty awesomely obnoxious too.

Xer0

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 24, 2019, 03:12:38 PM

:lol:

I was thinking about suggesting the S2K but figured he could probably easily get one from the UK.

BimmerM3

E46 M3 and E39 M5 also come to mind, but maintenance costs = :cry:

GoCougs

4th gen Camaro Z-28 (and SS if you could) by a country mile over everything - all-aluminum LS1 (305 - 320 hp), 6sp M/T, Torsen limited slip, and won't creak and rattle nearly as much as the C5:

BimmerM3

Quote from: Xer0 on January 24, 2019, 03:13:29 PM
:lol:

I was thinking about suggesting the S2K but figured he could probably easily get one from the UK.

Oh, were the aforementioned import taxes for US vehicles only?

GoCougs

mzziaz

Tax lift is for cars of any nationality, but it would probably make more sense to pick up German/euro cars from Germany.

S2K is an interesting proposition, but there are already a few available here.

The Camaro is OK, but I'd have problems picking it over a C5. The Firebird is too ugly, imo.

SUV/truck would be cool also, but I'd prefer a diesel which I suppose is pretty rare.
Cuore Sportivo

mzziaz

The SN94 Mustangs look very dated now, I think.
Cuore Sportivo

cawimmer430

Wait, isn't Norway banning the internal combustion engine by 2030 - or is that Sweden?
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

shp4man

Of all the Ford SVT vehicles,  the 5.4 supercharged Lightning truck was my favorite. It has low end torque none of the others had.

mzziaz

....although the terminator is pretty bad ass. Only available from 03, though.
Cuore Sportivo

mzziaz

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 24, 2019, 03:41:01 PM
Wait, isn't Norway banning the internal combustion engine by 2030 - or is that Sweden?

They have an ambition to go all zero pollution at some time, but it will depend on such cars being avilable in all segments. It will only affect new cars, though.
Cuore Sportivo

2o6

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Quote from: mzziaz on January 24, 2019, 03:35:45 PM
Tax lift is for cars of any nationality, but it would probably make more sense to pick up German/euro cars from Germany.

S2K is an interesting proposition, but there are already a few available here.

The Camaro is OK, but I'd have problems picking it over a C5. The Firebird is too ugly, imo.

SUV/truck would be cool also, but I'd prefer a diesel which I suppose is pretty rare.

Diesel trucks of that era are not rare, but they are rare in smaller-than-F350-crewcab size and with less than 300,000 miles on them.

The Panther cars have a bit of a cult following, but unless you're really into, you're going to find the overall experience disappointing.

C4/C5 Corvettes are probably the best bet. The Syclone/Typhoon trucks might interest you too.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

C5 Corvette is clearly the best choice mentioned so far. I wouldn't touch a C4 unless I got it as a beater for under two geez.

12,000 RPM

Late 90s was actually kind of a shitty time for fun cars

Japan basically died, outside of the C5 domestics were.........

And Germans were at peak unreliability. But yea C5 is the obvious pick
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

You could totally get a Dodge (Neon) SRT-4, but good luck finding one that isn't ruined.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

basically like mine, except i had a white pinstripe that the dealer added on and charged me four thousand dollars for

Eye of the Tiger

Gotta-Qik-C7

Can't go wrong with the C5 or the F Body LS1 cars. Don't touch that Marauder tho! It's a stone compared to Impala SS.........
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: GoCougs on January 24, 2019, 03:20:43 PM
Here's a great modern-day review of the 2000 Camaro SS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbTuTOPESS0
Brings back memories of road trips in my '94/'99 Z28s.......

Eye of the Tiger

so much excite

or did they all get turned in to cash for clunkers?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 24, 2019, 06:47:43 PM
so much excite

or did they all get turned in to cash for clunkers?
I haven't seen one of those in over a decade! LOL!!!!