Missed car chances?

Started by 565, January 26, 2019, 06:33:06 AM

In 2005 when I was shopping for a replacement to my Mk III Supra turbo, I cross shopped things like the Evo, STi, 350Z, Rx8, and eventually ended up with a used C5 Z06 that I love dearly and have no regrets about.  They were all around the same price at that time.

A few years later however a very nice green 1997 or 1998 Toyota Supra Turbo came on the market at a local dealership for 28K.  The problem was it was automatic.  It was in very mint condition, had about 80k miles and the price of 28k was reasonable.  I knew that prices were going to go up and I should have pounced on it.  Unfortunately I couldn't justify buying another sports car so I let it slip by.

Recently I had a look at Supra prices due to that new Supra thread, and I'm shocked by what these cars are selling for.  I always regretted not getting that car before.

So anyone have a car that they were close to buying before and now regret not doing so?   Conversely anyone have a car that they almost bought before but glad they didn't?  And finally does anyone have a car that they are eyeing that they shouldn't buy now but think that prices may only go up in the future?

Payman

Yup, 4 times that I can recall.
- 1989, a mint 1972 Buick Centurion convertible for $5500. Couldn't get a loan.
- 2008, a co-worker had a 1973 Porsche 911T that had a perfect wideflare body, but the engine smoked. He had imported that car and a '78 Targa from Germany when he returned to Canada after being posted there some time. I came back from Afghanistan flush with cash, but he had sold it for $7000(!).
- 2013, right after I bought the house, a 1972 Buick Riviera, yes the boat-tail one, looked identical to Jason Statham's Riv in Crank, for $7900. I agonized over it and it got sold.
- This past June, a 1982 Mini Cooper Mayfair, LHD in terrific condition for $7900. I was the 2nd respondent to the ad, and would get 2nd crack at it if the first guy walked. He didn't. I wish I had bumped my offer to $8200.  :(

FoMoJo

The one I regret the most is the '56 Buick convertible, Robins Egg blue with white interior.  I still don't understand why I didn't buy it, but I thought I wanted something sportier at the time.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

I had a chance at a 1983 Porsche 911SC 5MT for $11,500.  They're like 2-3 times that now. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

shp4man

About 7 years ago at a big auto swap meet, there was a guy with a 1963 Falcon convertible. It needed a top, interior and some engine work. Good body, no rust. It was Sunday and the guy didn't want to take it home.
$1200..I could have bought it.
:banghead: :banghead:
It would be an easy $18-20K car now.  :banghead:

BimmerM3

Nothing major, to be honest.

The closest is probably when I was shopping for the Explorer. I had narrowed it down to either an Xterra or an Explorer, and I really liked the Xterras that I drove, but the MYs that I could afford had some potentially very expensive issues with the AT that scared me off, and MTs were pretty rare. I found one that would have been absolutely perfect - Pro-4x trim (off road goodies) with a MT, but it reeked of some combination of cigarette grime and heavy duty cleaner that they tried to cover it up with.

I don't regret passing on that car, but soon afterward my Explorer came on the market and I jumped on it. It's hard to say that I regret the decision because I like the Explorer for the most part and it's unlikely that I'd have found another one that's as nice in my price range, but I think I'd be happier if I had held out for another MT Xterra instead.

Gotta-Qik-C7

A couple regrets. About 10 years ago A friend had a GMC Typhoon (White/Grey) he was selling dirt cheap! $4500 IIRC!! I let that one get away! Just last month I let a GMC Denali Extended Cab Quadrasteer get away! The Dealership had it listed pretty cheap at $3500! The truck was a couple hours away in Detroit and I was being lazy about driving a couple hours to get it. That's also a vehicle that I think will AT LEAST hold its value really well in the future.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

CaminoRacer

My dad could have gotten a split window Vette for a couple grand in the late 70s. Problem was the insurance cost as much as the car per year, so he didn't get it.

There was a rotary powered Datsun 510 wagon on Bring a Trailer back in the early days of that site that I really wanted, and the El Camino was being a bitch at the time so I was super close to pulling the trigger. I don't know that I regret it necessarily, but it was rad.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 26, 2019, 12:30:32 PM
My dad could have gotten a split window Vette for a couple grand in the late 70s. Problem was the insurance cost as much as the car per year, so he didn't get it.

There was a rotary powered Datsun 510 wagon on Bring a Trailer back in the early days of that site that I really wanted, and the El Camino was being a bitch at the time so I was super close to pulling the trigger. I don't know that I regret it necessarily, but it was rad.
My Pops had a Datsun 510. It was a sedan with a roof rack!

12,000 RPM

I should have fixed and kept my first Maxima. I'd probably still have it and be about $50K richer.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

I should have kept my '91 Skylark. That was a good looking little car, and the 3.3 V6 was no joke. 0-60 in 9 seconds flat.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

'91 Skylark... had to look that up. Was there ever a more unnoticeable and forgettable car ever built?  :tounge: It was the Color Me Badd of cars. Feel free to look that up.

93JC

Quote from: Rockraven on January 26, 2019, 07:15:39 PM
Was there ever a more unnoticeable and forgettable car ever built?  :tounge:

The similar Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, or its successor, the Achieva?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rockraven on January 26, 2019, 07:15:39 PM
'91 Skylark... had to look that up. Was there ever a more unnoticeable and forgettable car ever built?  :tounge: It was the Color Me Badd of cars. Feel free to look that up.

Mine was white with a dark blue vinyl top, factory alloy wheels with white letter tires. It was sharp.

Oh, and the awesome trunk luggage rack.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

Quote from: 93JC on January 26, 2019, 07:20:11 PM
The similar Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, or its successor, the Achieva?

The Cutlass Calais was a good seller, but yeah the Achieva/Skylark were extremely forgettable, the Grand Am being the looker of the trio. Or, the least ugly triplet.

Submariner

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on January 26, 2019, 10:30:29 AM
A couple regrets. About 10 years ago A friend had a GMC Typhoon (White/Grey) he was selling dirt cheap! $4500 IIRC!! I let that one get away! Just last month I let a GMC Denali Extended Cab Quadrasteer get away! The Dealership had it listed pretty cheap at $3500! The truck was a couple hours away in Detroit and I was being lazy about driving a couple hours to get it. That's also a vehicle that I think will AT LEAST hold its value really well in the future.

Aren't the Quadrasteers reliability/maintenance nightmares?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Submariner on January 26, 2019, 11:08:57 PM
Aren't the Quadrasteers reliability/maintenance nightmares?
Not at all! they used Dana Rear ends so they held up really well......