Dyson EV

Started by FoMoJo, January 28, 2019, 06:24:04 PM

FoMoJo

Dyson electric car

Something to keep an eye on for the future...

Imo, Dyson has made a fortune making existing products better.  I would not discount his company from producing an EV that is a cut above the rest.  Solid state batteries?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Payman

I dunno. If their products don't suck, they blow.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rockraven on January 28, 2019, 06:25:05 PM
It sucks.
You can say that again.  We just got a Dyson V10 cordless vacuum and it's brilliant. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

CaminoRacer

Car are way different than all other consumer products. Far more complicated, far more government regulations, etc. My faith in an outside company being able to do it better than the established players (specifically GM, Toyota, VW) is zero.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

BimmerM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 29, 2019, 10:38:51 AM
Car are way different than all other consumer products. Far more complicated, far more government regulations, etc. My faith in an outside company being able to do it better than the established players (specifically GM, Toyota, VW) is zero.

They have a better shot than all the other newcomers since they already have a legitimate, profitable business to help them get past the barriers to entry.

12,000 RPM

Starting a car division is a great way to go bankrupt
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 29, 2019, 10:38:51 AM

Kind of my thoughts too.

I know a guy through the internet who's one of the leaders getting this off the ground though.  He knows his stuff.   The only thing Dyson is really bringing to the table here is solid state batteries.  Could be interesting if they can do that cost effectively :huh:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

At this point all new EV operations are vaporware until proven profitable.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FoMoJo

Quote from: MrH on January 29, 2019, 11:06:31 AM
Kind of my thoughts too.

I know a guy through the internet who's one of the leaders getting this off the ground though.  He knows his stuff.   The only thing Dyson is really bringing to the table here is solid state batteries.  Could be interesting if they can do that cost effectively :huh:
Battery development is key.  While Dyson may fail at his attempts at developing an EV that's profitable, a £1 billion in R&D will go a long way in battery development and push the quest for a better battery quite a ways further along.

Bear in mind, technology is currently at a point of major developments and you guys will be part of it.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 29, 2019, 11:08:53 AM
At this point all new EV operations are vaporware until proven profitable.

Kinda like the car market 1880s-1950s present. (Olds, Saturn, Pontiac, Mercury....)
Will

93JC

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 29, 2019, 11:04:54 AM
They have a better shot than all the other newcomers since they already have a legitimate, profitable business to help them get past the barriers to entry.

Cost is the biggest barrier to entry, and the automotive market costs a hell of a lot more to break into than the appliance industry. Dyson has annual revenues in the billions. Tesla's revenue is an order of magnitude higher than Dyson's and Tesla is still bleeding money. The likes of Toyota, GM, VW, Daimler, etc. have annual revenues in the hundreds of billions of dollars, and even they consider the investment into EV research to be a shitload of money.

BimmerM3

Quote from: 93JC on January 29, 2019, 01:04:00 PM
Cost is the biggest barrier to entry, and the automotive market costs a hell of a lot more to break into than the appliance industry. Dyson has annual revenues in the billions. Tesla's revenue is an order of magnitude higher than Dyson's and Tesla is still bleeding money. The likes of Toyota, GM, VW, Daimler, etc. have annual revenues in the hundreds of billions of dollars, and even they consider the investment into EV research to be a shitload of money.

Still better than starting with $0 revenue, like every other EV company. :huh:

And more importantly, they're profitable to the tune of $1B/year. https://www.manufacturingglobal.com/leadership/dyson-reaches-record-profits-2017-hitting-ps801mn

FoMoJo

Quote from: 93JC on January 29, 2019, 01:04:00 PM
Smaller companies tend to be more innovative.  Vacuums were crap until Dyson reinvented them.  His company is based on innovation; making existing products better. 

Soup DeVille

But Dyson vacuums suck (and not in the good way).
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 29, 2019, 02:30:27 PM
But Dyson vacuums suck (and not in the good way).
Do you have a Dyson?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 29, 2019, 02:31:23 PM
Do you have a Dyson?

No, but my mother burnt out two of them. They work well when they work, I'll give them that- but they don't last, and for the $500+ they charge for the damn things you should never have to buy one again.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 29, 2019, 02:33:04 PM
No, but my mother burnt out two of them. They work well when they work, I'll give them that- but they don't last, and for the $500+ they charge for the damn things you should never have to buy one again.
Don't have any experience with the longevity yet, but at least they work.  This is our third vacuum in 3 years.  The first was a hoover.  It worked okay at first and then the bushings wore out after a few months and it screamed so loud, we couldn't be in the same room with it.  The Dirt Devil was just crap.  The Dyson V10 works great.  I'll see if it lasts longer them me.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 29, 2019, 02:33:04 PM

I went down a black hole of vacuum research a few years ago and basically determined that you've gotta spend $800+ on a commercial model for something that has an above average chance of lasting a long time. I settled on the middle ground of a $220 Ninja that works well but isn't too crazy expensive to replace when it inevitably breaks. So far so good.

EDIT: Shark, not Ninja.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 29, 2019, 02:50:04 PM
I went down a black hole of vacuum research a few years ago and basically determined that you've gotta spend $800+ on a commercial model for something that has an above average chance of lasting a long time. I settled on the middle ground of a $220 Ninja that works well but isn't too crazy expensive to replace when it inevitably breaks. So far so good.

I also did that research, and ended up with a cheap AF Dirt Devil upright with disposable bags. And a modified intake.

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 29, 2019, 02:50:04 PM
Cordless?

shp4man

So the Dyson cone thing isn't an original idea. Caterpillar diesels in heavy equipment engines had a similar pre-filter setup in the 1970's.

Our vacuum cleaner is a Hoover. Plastic. About 6 years old, floppy loose, buy still works.

BimmerM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 29, 2019, 04:09:55 PM
Cordless?

Nope. Also, it's a Shark, not a Ninja. I don't know if Ninja makes vacuums.

My condo is like 730 SQ FT. I can easily reach the entire place from two outlets - one if I put a little more effort into moving the cord around furniture.

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on January 29, 2019, 04:18:09 PM
So the Dyson cone thing isn't an original idea. Caterpillar diesels in heavy equipment engines had a similar pre-filter setup in the 1970's.

Our vacuum cleaner is a Hoover. Plastic. About 6 years old, floppy loose, buy still works.

Cyclonic separation.  Used in lots of industry.  Sawmills come to mind.  Fluid mechanics.

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 29, 2019, 04:21:32 PM
Nope. Also, it's a Shark, not a Ninja. I don't know if Ninja makes vacuums.

My condo is like 730 SQ FT. I can easily reach the entire place from two outlets - one if I put a little more effort into moving the cord around furniture.
I was pleasantly surprised at how convenient a cordless is.  It claims that the charge will last an hour, but there are 3 speeds and, I expect, the high speed will only last about 20 minutes.  However, It only takes me about 15 minutes to vacuum the place so I don't really know for sure.  It's one of these stick things with the workings at the top.  Very light and it has 6 different attachments that snap easily into place.  I really only use a couple of them.  The high setting has tremendous suction, compared to the other cord vacuums we had and what's convenient as well is that you can remove the stick and attach the various brushes, etc. right to the vacuum head.  Easy for vacuuming the inside of the car; though I haven't done that yet.  Too damned cold.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 29, 2019, 04:28:05 PM
Cyclonic separation.  Used in lots of industry.  Sawmills come to mind.  Fluid mechanics.
Clever to apply that technology to a vacuum.  I still don't really know how his fans works though.  They've got no fan.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 29, 2019, 04:35:02 PM
Clever to apply that technology to a vacuum.  I still don't really know how his fans works though.  They've got no fan.

They just use an impeller in the base to blow air into the ring.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 29, 2019, 04:50:49 PM
They just use an impeller in the base to blow air into the ring.
Ah, curves, angles and induction.  Very clever.  I like their hand dryers as well; as long as it does blow my skin off.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 29, 2019, 04:35:02 PM

Oh there's a fan. It's just in the base where you can't see it. Total gimmick. But if you use cool words like "air multiplier," you can charge $300 for a fan.

93JC

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 29, 2019, 02:21:04 PM
Still better than starting with $0 revenue, like every other EV company. :huh:

True.

QuoteAnd more importantly, they're profitable to the tune of $1B/year. https://www.manufacturingglobal.com/leadership/dyson-reaches-record-profits-2017-hitting-ps801mn

True, and last year it was up to $1.42B in profit on $5.67B in revenue. Margins in the automotive industry are much tighter, and even basket-case Tesla posted over $11B in revenue in 2017, and lost over $600M. Their 2018 revenues should hit about $20B but they'll almost assuredly still post a loss.

That said Dyson is still a private firm owned solely by James Dyson himself, so ultimately he can make whatever irrational decisions he wants as long as he's got the cash to burn.