Dyson EV

Started by FoMoJo, January 28, 2019, 06:24:04 PM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 29, 2019, 05:16:43 PM
Oh there's a fan. It's just in the base where you can't see it. Total gimmick. But if you use cool words like "air multiplier," you can charge $300 for a fan.

+1

And hand dryers are gross
Will

93JC

Oh there's a fan. It's just in the base where you can't see it. Total gimmick. But if you use cool words like "air multiplier," you can charge $300 for a fan.

:hesaid: It's asinine how much money Dyson sells many of its products. I love my vacuum cleaner, and the vacuum cleaner I bought for my parents 10+ years ago hasn't had any issues whatsoever. Would I buy a Dyson "air multiplier"? Heeeeeeeell naw, it's a $300 desk ornament. Ye olde fashioned prop fans work just as well, despite whatever the Dyson marketing machine says about "choppy air". (I don't give a shit if the air coming from my fan is "choppy"; why would anyone?)

FoMoJo

Yes, curves, angles and induction as well.  Personally, I wouldn't pay that much for a fan, but lot's of people do.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

I love our dyson... gets almost daily use sucking up kitty litter with no issues in I guess 3 or so years now
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

Quote from: 93JC on January 29, 2019, 05:26:28 PM
:hesaid: It's asinine how much money Dyson sells many of its products. I love my vacuum cleaner, and the vacuum cleaner I bought for my parents 10+ years ago hasn't had any issues whatsoever. Would I buy a Dyson "air multiplier"? Heeeeeeeell naw, it's a $300 desk ornament. Ye olde fashioned prop fans work just as well, despite whatever the Dyson marketing machine says about "choppy air". (I don't give a shit if the air coming from my fan is "choppy"; why would anyone?)
What make is your vacuum?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

CaminoRacer

I've got a Bissell that was on sale for $60 at Target almost 2 years ago. No complaints about it, and I'm much richer having not ponied up for a Dyson.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 29, 2019, 05:39:21 PM
I've got a Bissell that was on sale for $60 at Target almost 2 years ago. No complaints about it, and I'm much richer having not ponied up for a Dyson.
Don't vacuum drywall dust with it.

Laconian

BREAKING: Dyson releases "air exponentiator", stock quintuples
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

93JC

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 29, 2019, 05:38:53 PM
What make is your vacuum?

I have a Dyson DC66. The one I bought for my parents is a DC07. Neither was cheap, but I think they're well worth it. The fans, the lights, the hair dryers, the hand dryers? Waaay too expensive.

Payman

I have no carpet. I win.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

93JC

Quote from: Rockraven on January 29, 2019, 07:03:20 PM
I have no carpet. I win.

My Dyson is awesome on every surface. :huh: Came with a soft-bristle brush for doing hard floors.

Actually, my favourite thing about the vacuum is the "tangle-free turbine tool" that came with it:

This thing is frickin' spectacular at cleaning upholstery. I was in need of a vacuum cleaner a few years back and coincidentally after my grandparents died no one else wanted their two vacuum cleaners, a Bissell and a Eureka, so I took 'em both thinking I'd keep whichever I liked more and would sell the other. In the end I hated them both and sold them both off for money toward the Dyson, but the thing I reeeeeeally hated about the damn things was their "powered brush" tools for upholstery. I don't have any leather furniture so I'm always using the vacuum to clean my chairs and couches, and the Bissell and Eureka tools were appallingly bad. The Dyson tool was a revelation by comparison, it works great!

Galaxy

I will also vouch for Dyson, my usual supplier for home appliances and power tools is the local Champion Bosch, but their cordless vacuum absolutely sucks (well actually it does not suck that is the problem) compared to the Dyson.

r0tor

Quote from: Rockraven on January 29, 2019, 07:03:20 PM
I have no carpet. I win.
Dyson has a "fluffy" motorized head for the cordless vacs that is amazing on hardwood floord
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

Quote from: 93JC on January 29, 2019, 05:17:38 PM
True.

True, and last year it was up to $1.42B in profit on $5.67B in revenue. Margins in the automotive industry are much tighter, and even basket-case Tesla posted over $11B in revenue in 2017, and lost over $600M. Their 2018 revenues should hit about $20B but they'll almost assuredly still post a loss.

That said Dyson is still a private firm owned solely by James Dyson himself, so ultimately he can make whatever irrational decisions he wants as long as he's got the cash to burn.

Tesla is about the worst example out there of how automotive operations should be run :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

I've never used a Dyson. I've only owned one vacuum in my life (and it still works fine)...a Kirby vacuum that I bought used from my brother (when he wanted to a buy a new one). My current house is hardwood and tile everywhere except the basement, so it only gets used occasionally nowadays but it is still going.

GoCougs

Dyson is a fraud. In this video about his revolutionary "digital motor" (i.e., brushless motor, that have been made for decades) he equates carbon dust from brushes used on universal motors (typically what powers appliances) with "carbon emissions." You gotta be kidding me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kcGltYWz3k

But I do have two of the vacuums and they were definitely game changers.

GoCougs

As to the EV? Like all EVs, it's mostly just PR, with the side helping parasitic statism (i.e., being queued up in the chance that government hegemony declares the ICE and enemy of the state).

FoMoJo

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 30, 2019, 08:11:24 AM
I've never used a Dyson. I've only owned one vacuum in my life (and it still works fine)...a Kirby vacuum that I bought used from my brother (when he wanted to a buy a new one). My current house is hardwood and tile everywhere except the basement, so it only gets used occasionally nowadays but it is still going.
Kirby, made in the USA.  Warren Buffet approves.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on January 30, 2019, 08:45:16 AM
As to the EV? Like all EVs, it's mostly just PR, with the side helping parasitic statism (i.e., being queued up in the chance that government hegemony declares the ICE and enemy of the state).
Quote from: GoCougs on January 30, 2019, 08:42:10 AM
Dyson is a fraud. In this video about his revolutionary "digital motor" (i.e., brushless motor, that have been made for decades) he equates carbon dust from brushes used on universal motors (typically what powers appliances) with "carbon emissions." You gotta be kidding me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kcGltYWz3k

But I do have two of the vacuums and they were definitely game changers.
Cougs is in his bag here, like Klay putting up 14 3s against the Bulls

I am in agreement on the EV announcements though... just a free press/SEO grab.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs