*Renamed: $10large small SUV?

Started by AutobahnSHO, January 29, 2019, 08:33:00 PM

AutobahnSHO

So......

I've hinted to wife that I'd like something other than Impreza. For whatever reason the seat inflames back pain. Weird hip/back angle.

She is ok with a $3k beater (and keeping Impreza) or going more ($8-13k?) and selling Impreza. (hard to get a read on her often LOL)

I'm looking at a couple Yaris/ Fit/ probably scam Rav4s for under $3k.

She saw a 2017 Camry 4banger for $13k and started messaging them. Weird. I guess she likes that it is really new. It was in a rear wreck, bumper was replaced by insurance.

I'd prefer something taller for seating (Rav4, CRV, CX-5, Escape), but then I also keep wondering if I could find a place to rent a Miata for a day or two to check if it would irritate my back...... 
:hammerhead:

I'm ok too with just driving Odyssey to work.

So really this one is all over the map. What say y'all??
Will

Eye of the Tiger

I know what you mean about the Impreza seats. For $3Kish, you can probably get an SVT Focus. Pretty upright position and plenty of headroom.

https://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/d/greer-2003-ford-focus-svt/6804828163.html
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

Comfortable seats? You need a Cullinan.  :lol:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 29, 2019, 08:40:12 PM
I know what you mean about the Impreza seats. For $3Kish, you can probably get an SVT Focus. Pretty upright position and plenty of headroom.

https://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/d/greer-2003-ford-focus-svt/6804828163.html

I looked real quick, only one around here is $7k
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 30, 2019, 02:36:29 AM
Comfortable seats? You need a Cullinan.  :lol:

You missed the "Cheap" part?   :thumbsup:
Will

12,000 RPM

I'd go newer. It's OK to finance. Rates are still reasonable

Camry sounds good.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 30, 2019, 08:13:33 AM
I'd go newer. It's OK to finance. Rates are still reasonable

Camry sounds good.

:rolleyes:

$13k is plenty for a basic commuter, and IIRC, Will is pretty debt-averse from prior experience, which is also OK.

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 29, 2019, 08:33:00 PM
So......

I've hinted to wife that I'd like something other than Impreza. For whatever reason the seat inflames back pain. Weird hip/back angle.

She is ok with a $3k beater (and keeping Impreza) or going more ($8-13k?) and selling Impreza. (hard to get a read on her often LOL)

I'm looking at a couple Yaris/ Fit/ probably scam Rav4s for under $3k.

She saw a 2017 Camry 4banger for $13k and started messaging them. Weird. I guess she likes that it is really new. It was in a rear wreck, bumper was replaced by insurance.

I'd prefer something taller for seating (Rav4, CRV, CX-5, Escape), but then I also keep wondering if I could find a place to rent a Miata for a day or two to check if it would irritate my back...... 
:hammerhead:

I'm ok too with just driving Odyssey to work.

So really this one is all over the map. What say y'all??

Any limitations on mileage?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 30, 2019, 09:36:46 AM

$13k is plenty for a basic commuter, and IIRC, Will is pretty debt-averse from prior experience, which is also OK.

Any limitations on mileage?

I usually buy 125k+ but

option1 (Beater) is ok to be high as long as the car doesn't need any work the next year or two (we're probably moving summer 2020).

option2 (nicer) I'd like to keep it lower, found a few cheaper cars around 90-100k I suspect they're off-loading before having to pay for timing belt etc...
If we go this option, wife wants newer than our current cars (2010+?) and we want to keep it for 10 years. In which case I want to be pickier, I don't want a base model Camry for 10 years. I'd prefer something with a sunroof, maybe other options...

Will

12,000 RPM

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 30, 2019, 09:36:46 AM

Yes, $13K is plenty, which is why I said the Camry sounds good. I'd wager with all the hassle + transaction fees it would be cheaper financially and much less stressful.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Galaxy

r0tor

A boat load of beaters hardly ever pays off in the long run
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 30, 2019, 08:00:27 AM
I looked real quick, only one around here is $7k

Must be a nice one, then.

2o6

Eye of the Tiger

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on January 30, 2019, 10:13:35 AM
A boat load of beaters hardly ever pays off in the long run

LOLS I've bought mine for average $3k. Used cars have been more expensive since the 2008 recession but my $2500 beater lasted from 2008 until we were moving in 2015 so sold it. Put 80k+ miles on it too.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on January 30, 2019, 10:40:03 AM
3k - Gen 1 Scion XB

I've seen a couple of them, you think they're better than a Fit or whatever?
Will

68_427

I recall Ford products having great seats.  Very comfortable.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 30, 2019, 02:48:29 PM
I've seen a couple of them, you think they're better than a Fit or whatever?

In my opinion, the main downside of the xB is the high speed aero, and snow plow front bumper. If you have a daily 40 mile highway commute, I'd reconsider. Otherwise, it's a good driving little box.

shp4man

The transmission debacle has lowered the value of the 2012 Focus. I'm not sure the manual trans ones are any more valuable. If I was looking for cheap transportation, I might consider that.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 30, 2019, 02:54:51 PM
In my opinion, the main downside of the xB is the high speed aero, and snow plow front bumper. If you have a daily 40 mile highway commute, I'd reconsider. Otherwise, it's a good driving little box.

My commute is 3miles in 35mph speed limits with tons of stupid traffic lights.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 30, 2019, 02:58:26 PM
My commute is 3miles in 35mph speed limits with tons of stupid traffic lights.

Perfect. I'd go for the automatic, then. Maybe add a cold air intake, a tri-Y header, and one of those coffee maker mufflers.

AutobahnSHO

So PAUSE TIME...

Wife and I have finally started getting our Roth IRAs going, we're going to wait until after income taxes and travel settlement is all done. (Spent $850 on hotels moving, we get a huge chunk of change for "dislocation" and the 1600lbs we moved ourselves....)
Will

68_427

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 30, 2019, 02:59:27 PM
gross.

I dislike sedans, used to have tons of Fords but our Japanese cars have just lasted longer more cheaply.

I mean you make it sound like your main reason for wanting a new car is seat comfort, so you should probably be looking at cars that were designed to be comfortable in the first place, and not sub compact cars designed to cost $10k-$15k new?  :huh:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

shp4man

Comfort? Man, there was nothing as comfortable as my old '64 Coupe De Ville.  :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 68_427 on January 30, 2019, 03:02:21 PM
I mean you make it sound like your main reason for wanting a new car is seat comfort, so you should probably be looking at cars that were designed to be comfortable in the first place, and not sub compact cars designed to cost $10k-$15k new?  :huh:

It's only the angle of the seat in the Impreza that bugs me. A more upright seating position is what gives me no problems. SUVs, Minivan, even my old Legacy were no issue.

I always preferred hatches or wagons, I haven't owned a sedan since 2004...
Will