*Renamed: $10large small SUV?

Started by AutobahnSHO, January 29, 2019, 08:33:00 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 30, 2019, 03:00:37 PM
So PAUSE TIME...

Wife and I have finally started getting our Roth IRAs going, we're going to wait until after income taxes and travel settlement is all done. (Spent $850 on hotels moving, we get a huge chunk of change for "dislocation" and the 1600lbs we moved ourselves....)

Well, at least get one of those little pillows to put on Impreza's seat. Or one of those wooden bead seat covers, like every Volvo 240 has.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

3 mile commute with lots of lights... sounds like a job for a hybrid. Cheap now with cheap gas, sick resale when gas eventually goes back up.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

Except for the SUVs I'd be wary of the seating.  Again, it's not the cushion or luxury of the seat, but the angles. I have Odyssey seat tilted back some. It's power so super adjustable as far as angle goes.....
Will

AutobahnSHO

Oh and just the first three are 260-300+ miles away.. !?!?...
Will

68_427

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 30, 2019, 06:19:43 PM

That's really not that far.  You can do round trip in half a day if it's a car you want.  I bought my truck south east of Boston.  It was 800 miles round trip, and just took one day. 

Plus traffic moves fast in the south from what I've seen  :ohyeah:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 30, 2019, 06:19:43 PM

I didn't know your zip. I thought you were in the DC area so I just picked one of DC's zip codes.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 30, 2019, 06:44:06 PM
I didn't know your zip. I thought you were in the DC area so I just picked one of DC's zip codes.

lol 22315 but man some of those are not anywhere near DC :lol:
Will

Eye of the Tiger

A 1986 Ford Ranger would be a great 3 mile commuter. The bench seat is mighty comfy.

AutobahnSHO

So I forgot about autotrader....

Just browsing 10miles away my top choices under $6k or less are:

2x $6k manual CR-V with sunroof and 130-140k miles on them, a 2003 and 2005.
2010 Fit, $6k at 120k miles, but slushie no options.
2004 Prius but battery? 138k miles for $4k. Not sure about seats in these. Pictures look like it may or might not be like Impreza.
2005 Scion xA, manual, 141k, $3k

and want but not want, 1999 Z3 slushie, 137k miles for $4500- private party.
Will

AutobahnSHO

LOL made the mistake of looking at the SHOForum.

Guy has a pretty built out mechanically sound 1991 (my favorite! :wub: ) that needs some interior TLC (Seat cover and massive vacuum/shampoo job) and he knows that he won't get "$12k or $4k" for it, so he's open to offers. But it's in Indiana LOLOLOLOL.

I want in a heartbeat- this is my "if I were a rich guy at the Barrett Jackson auction" want car. But man it would be a moneypit......   :lol:
Will

Laconian

CR-V or Fit.

Prius batteries actually age pretty well. The engines make sludge around 150k though.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 30, 2019, 07:12:19 PM
lol 22315 but man some of those are not anywhere near DC :lol:

20001 zip code w/ 100 mile search radius. :huh:

But mostly I was just making the point that you have a lot of good options.

HurricaneSteve

Too bad you're not on the west coast:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/monte-rio-ford-focus/6790436442.html

2004 Ford Focus hatchback, 48K miles, has the bigger 2.3L motor (same as the Mazda 3), 5MT for $2,600!

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on January 30, 2019, 07:28:39 PM
CR-V or Fit.

Prius batteries actually age pretty well. The engines make sludge around 150k though.

Since when? I've never heard this. The 1NZFXE in the Prius II is basically the same as the 1NZFE 1.5L in the Yaris/Echo/xB. The only difference is the head. I let three of them go with 120K +, and my roommate has a 2005 xB with 305K on it.

Also, Fit 1.5L's sometimes blow out coils and then shatter plugs, requiring the head to be helicoiled so you can put in a new spark plug.

K24's also sometimes use and burn oil later in life.

ALSO, you should actually SIT in a Honda Fit before you buy one. The Fit's seats are shaped weird, and the reason I don't have one is because of how much it made my back hurt after driving only for 20 mins.
----------------

The xB is a solid car, if a bit slow. More importantly, they don't have very many points of failure. The manual trans sometimes has brittle synchros, but replacement transmissions are cheap. The 4AT is pretty old school, but it's reliable and basically never breaks. The 1.5L is known for being one of the most reliable motors Toyota has ever made. The only things on the 1NZFE that really ever go wrong is the water pump, which is actually pretty easy to replace yourself.

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on January 30, 2019, 09:47:59 PM
Too bad you're not on the west coast:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/monte-rio-ford-focus/6790436442.html

2004 Ford Focus hatchback, 48K miles, has the bigger 2.3L motor (same as the Mazda 3), 5MT for $2,600!

Ew gross, the 2.3L Duratec is an awful motor. No economy, plus those rod bearings seem to be made of glass. If you get a duratec car, get a 2.0L.

Payman

Just noticed it has a check engine light, but with newish vehicles that could be anything. A quick diagnostic might reveal something trivial and cheap to fix, but in any case I think it's worth it at that price. If it's something major, you can just walk away. You can also spring for the extra 3 yr powertrain warranty.

12,000 RPM

Prius batteries are cheap and easy to replace.

Also eww at the old Focus, yall don't seem to remember 2o6's nightmare.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 31, 2019, 05:10:46 AM

By cheap you mean $1200+ used, or $30 per cell?
And Focus is a good driving, reliable-ish car.

HurricaneSteve

Quote from: 2o6 on January 30, 2019, 11:01:17 PM

Ew gross, the 2.3L Duratec is an awful motor. No economy, plus those rod bearings seem to be made of glass. If you get a duratec car, get a 2.0L.

Define no economy. EPA had the 2.3L Focus at 25/33 which is similar to the 2.0 Mazda3 of the same era. I also see quite a few 1st gen Mazda3 hatches still flying around, as well as Mazda6's & Fusions so I don't know if a few junkyard adventures tell the whole story.

HurricaneSteve

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 31, 2019, 05:10:46 AM

A lack of care (and common sense) can deep six just about any car.

AutobahnSHO

So, filed my taxes. Getting back about half what I paid in- in around a month.
Add in car savings and our budget will be around $10k, but several weeks from now.

Wife therefore wants to go nicer than beater and sell Impreza. We could probably get $3-4k from Impreza, which will cover taxes/registration and refill the immediate car repair fund.

My top priority is long-lasting and low maintenance hassle, followed by comfort, space, gas mileage.
Top picks are CR-V, Rav4, CX-5, Forester. They all have much better gas mileage than Odyssey (15.6mpg this last fillup of driving around locally), and Impreza usually only gets 18 city. Plus the more upright seating.

I will be looking out for AWD/ sunroof/ manual transmission combos....
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Raza

If it were me, I'd be looking at a spaceship Civic Si sedan. Fast, reliable, around $10,000 for a decent one, manual, practical, pretty good on gas, and comfortable. Fun to drive, too.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on February 01, 2019, 05:53:01 AM
If it were me, I'd be looking at a spaceship Civic Si sedan. Fast, reliable, around $10,000 for a decent one, manual, practical, pretty good on gas, and comfortable. Fun to drive, too.
They are so LOUD

I guess if this is a pure short distance car then it's fine. But if there's even a remote possibility of the commute going longer than 20 minutes, pass

Eye of the Tiger

So the possibilities for and AWD/manuL/sunroof crossover with upright seating are ... WRX, Civic Si ... There are grate ideas. Have you thought about an E36 M3?  :lol:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 01, 2019, 05:58:00 AM
They are so LOUD

I guess if this is a pure short distance car then it's fine. But if there's even a remote possibility of the commute going longer than 20 minutes, pass

I drove one to LA and back and didn't one notice it being loud :huh:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV