Low Speed Pre-Ignition in DI engines

Started by CaminoRacer, January 30, 2019, 12:03:14 PM

CaminoRacer

https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/engine-oil-and-low-speed-pre-ignition-in-direct-injection-engines/

Interesting stuff. Conclusion is that DI engines should use specific oil that has less calcium or sodium detergent.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

I have been hearing about LSPI for years.... glad they finally found a fix. That Driven DI oil is expensive AF though, especially since I change my oil ~4x/yr. Will see if mainstream companies come out with something
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

I just don't load it up at low speeds. Let it rev. Or not, since it's in a shipping container.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Having transmission programming that tends towards fuel efficiency will often cause the engine to drag/lug a bit.  I've noticed this on my car, but not to the point of any indication of pre-ignition.  Perhaps some manufactures haven't quite figured out the mapping yet.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

shp4man

One key to eliminating this to is minimise the distance between the top compression ring and the top of the piston.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on January 30, 2019, 01:15:59 PM
One key to eliminating this to is minimise the distance between the top compression ring and the top of the piston.

I can do that by adding carbon deposits to the piston top. I mean, the opposite of that. Water injection.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)