Is there any way to stop paint-peel?

Started by giant_mtb, May 28, 2005, 05:45:46 PM

giant_mtb

My brother's '93 Explorer is in pretty bad shape...  We just had to get the alternator and tensioner replaced as well as the front brake pads and rotors.  (both of which I told my parents needed to be replaced but they didn't listen and when they crapped out they learned their lesson about listening to me...)  

But anyways, the paint around the wheel-wells and areas like that is coming off.  The areas where there isn't any paint is rust.  I was wondering if there is any way to stop the continuation of the paint peeling or chipping without having to paint the entire car or something.  If I removed the rust would that help?  I wanna know because I'm gonna have to drive this beast when I turn 16 and I don't want to be driving a rust bucket around... :P  

Raghavan

maybe put one of those clear plastic sheets that are transparent over the wheelwells, or put one of those plastic splashgaurds on the wheelwells.

giant_mtb

Quotemaybe put one of those clear plastic sheets that are transparent over the wheelwells, or put one of those plastic splashgaurds on the wheelwells.
I'm not quite sure what you mean or what you're talking about...

Raghavan

Quotemaybe put one of those clear plastic sheets that are transparent over the wheelwells, or put one of those plastic splashgaurds on the wheelwells.
I'm not quite sure what you mean or what you're talking about...
something like this:

^the black trim piece over the wheelwell^
some company also sells clear plastic adhesive transparent sheets to prevent paint chips from rocks, etc, but i forgot what it's called.

giant_mtb

Oh I see now.  The paint chip/peel is beyond what one of those could cover...  He also got his left side-skirt ripped off in a fight with a snowbank this past winter, and that area is pretty much all rust...his side trim is starting to come off; exposing the paint and now that's starting to peel...and yeah...if I had a camera handy I'd go take some pics quick...but I don't have one right now...

Raghavan

QuoteOh I see now.  The paint chip/peel is beyond what one of those could cover...  He also got his left side-skirt ripped off in a fight with a snowbank this past winter, and that area is pretty much all rust...his side trim is starting to come off; exposing the paint and now that's starting to peel...and yeah...if I had a camera handy I'd go take some pics quick...but I don't have one right now...
i spend the money to get a repaint, and get all the rust out by cutting it out and replacing it with fresh metal.

giant_mtb

QuoteOh I see now.  The paint chip/peel is beyond what one of those could cover...  He also got his left side-skirt ripped off in a fight with a snowbank this past winter, and that area is pretty much all rust...his side trim is starting to come off; exposing the paint and now that's starting to peel...and yeah...if I had a camera handy I'd go take some pics quick...but I don't have one right now...
i spend the money to get a repaint, and get all the rust out by cutting it out and replacing it with fresh metal.
How much would that cost...?

If I got rid of the surface-rust would that at least slow down the deterioration of the paint?  (I could simply Dremel it off)

Raghavan

QuoteOh I see now.  The paint chip/peel is beyond what one of those could cover...  He also got his left side-skirt ripped off in a fight with a snowbank this past winter, and that area is pretty much all rust...his side trim is starting to come off; exposing the paint and now that's starting to peel...and yeah...if I had a camera handy I'd go take some pics quick...but I don't have one right now...

If I got rid of the surface-rust would that at least slow down the deterioration of the paint?  (I could simply Dremel it off)
i don't think so. i'd take out the rust, then get a repaint. it'll be expensive, but i don't kno w how bad your situation is.

giant_mtb

i don't think so. i'd take out the rust, then get a repaint. it'll be expensive, but i don't kno w how bad your situation is.
I doubt we'd get it repainted...after I drive it for 2 years (i'll get a car of my choice when I turn 18) I don't think we'll keep it.  I don't think it would be necessary to pay for a complete re-paint if it's only gonna be used for another 3 years...but I don't know...

Raghavan

I doubt we'd get it repainted...after I drive it for 2 years (i'll get a car of my choice when I turn 18) I don't think we'll keep it.  I don't think it would be necessary to pay for a complete re-paint if it's only gonna be used for another 3 years...but I don't know...
then drive it asis for a couple of years till you get a car...

giant_mtb

Darn...and I thought there mighta been some cheap and easy way to get it fixed or retained...  <_<  :angry:  :P  

Raghavan

QuoteDarn...and I thought there mighta been some cheap and easy way to get it fixed or retained...  <_<  :angry:  :P
if you're not going to use it long, then why waste money fixing it?

giant_mtb

QuoteDarn...and I thought there mighta been some cheap and easy way to get it fixed or retained...  <_<  :angry:  :P
if you're not going to use it long, then why waste money fixing it?
Well I'm not gonna spend any money on it...but actually if it woulda been something like 50-100 bucks to get it all fixed or whatever I'd do it...  But I guess I'll just dremel away the rust and go from there.  :praise:  

TBR

Don't worry about it, you will only have to drive it for a couple of years and as long as it is sound mechanically no one will make fun of you.  

giant_mtb

QuoteDon't worry about it, you will only have to drive it for a couple of years and as long as it is sound mechanically no one will make fun of you.
lol Yeah I guess you're right...there's a lot worse at my high school than the Explorer...

Raghavan

QuoteDon't worry about it, you will only have to drive it for a couple of years and as long as it is sound mechanically no one will make fun of you.
lol Yeah I guess you're right...there's a lot worse at my high school than the Explorer...
just hope it doesn't fall apart when you get it when you're 16.

giant_mtb

That's what I'm afraid of... <_<   But it's actually pretty mechanically sound.  It has about 145K miles and the 4WD works fine and everything else works...just the body needs serious work.  All three of the people that owned it in my family (my dad, then my brother, then my other brother) have been in an accident with it...  The front bumper is dented in from my oldest brother...The driver's door is dented in from my dad and me hitting a snowbank at about 40 MPH cause the road was complete ice...and the left sideskirt is gone because my brother somehow went into a snowbank on a straight road while going uphill... <_<  :P  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   I'm gonna break the chain and NOT get in an accident with it! :lol:  

Raghavan

That's what I'm afraid of... <_<   But it's actually pretty mechanically sound.  It has about 145K miles and the 4WD works fine and everything else works...just the body needs serious work.  All three of the people that owned it in my family (my dad, then my brother, then my other brother) have been in an accident with it...  The front bumper is dented in from my oldest brother...The driver's door is dented in from my dad and me hitting a snowbank at about 40 MPH cause the road was complete ice...and the left sideskirt is gone because my brother somehow went into a snowbank on a straight road while going uphill... <_<  :P  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   I'm gonna break the chain and NOT get in an accident with it! :lol:
and the first snowfall comes... :lol:  

TBR

Yep, just be happy that you won't have to buy your own car.  

giant_mtb

lol   Actually all the accidents were in the winter... ironic!  And in none of the accidents was the 4WD engaged... <_<   (the one that involved the front bumper was when my oldest brother took a turn too fast and hit some slush and smashed the front of the Explorer into the front corner or a car at the intersection...)

giant_mtb

Yeah...some kids here brag about buying a 400 dollar car...but with their own money!   I'm like...umm..congrats.  :praise:  Although the Explorer I get to drive is probably worth about 400...lol

Raghavan

lol   Actually all the accidents were in the winter... ironic!  And in none of the accidents was the 4WD engaged... <_<   (the one that involved the front bumper was when my oldest brother took a turn too fast and hit some slush and smashed the front of the Explorer into the front corner or a car at the intersection...)
teh exploder has part time 4WD, right? so you can go drifting! :praise:  :rockon:  

TBR

Yeah...some kids here brag about buying a 400 dollar car...but with their own money!   I'm like...umm..congrats.  :praise:  Although the Explorer I get to drive is probably worth about 400...lol
I doubt it, even crap piles are more expensive than you might think.  

giant_mtb

teh exploder has part time 4WD, right? so you can go drifting! :praise:  :rockon:
Part-time...sure!  Yeah..you have to "lock" the front wheels and then shift it into 4WD when you want it...and then you have to "unlock" the wheels when you want to shift out of it... <_<   Not much fun when it's 10 degrees out...  

And yeah...I could go drifting!  :P   Icy parking lots are gonna be the funnest...  :lol:  

Raghavan

i saw a Jetta selling for $99 once. :lol:  

TBR

But I bet it wasn't mechanically sound.

Raghavan

But I bet it wasn't mechanically sound.
probably not, considering it was an '86.

giant_mtb

The cheapest cars around here are always in the "Nifty 250" section of our Classified ads! Nifty 250 as in something that you're selling for 250 bucks.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

Raghavan

QuoteThe cheapest cars around here are always in the "Nifty 250" section of our Classified ads! Nifty 250 as in something that you're selling for 250 bucks.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
umm... :rolleyes:  

giant_mtb

QuoteThe cheapest cars around here are always in the "Nifty 250" section of our Classified ads! Nifty 250 as in something that you're selling for 250 bucks.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
umm... :rolleyes:
Yeah, I know, it's dumb...don't blame me...it's the newspaper's fault!  :lol: