Washing brake rotors

Started by JWC, May 30, 2005, 08:34:55 PM

JWC

Yep, it was boring today and I spent most of my day going through paperwork and reading flyers.

There was one, from Ford, about brake noise and its causes. Since it was something I had never heard of, I figured I'd mention here in case someone else wasn't aware of it.

Besides talking about machining brake rotors and eliminating the grooves that will turn a rotor into a phonograph record (they should be glass smooth after machining),  it mentioned the importance of cleaning rotors after they have been machined.

I usually use brake cleaner, the can you get at any auto parts store. Ford says, not the best idea for cleaning brake rotors after turning them. Use hot water and plain soap, with a brush.  The small metal shavings get  in the "valleys" left behind and will lead to brake noise when these particles get embedded in the pad surface.  They recommend using a white paper towel to wipe across the surface of the rotor to check for any  dust.

Run Away

Interesting. My brakes squeal slightly at low speeds when applied lightly, and I'll replace the calipers too eventually, so I'll keep this in mind.

Good post.

JWC

Our shop foreman has been working at our shop since 1964. I asked him what the best way to clean rotors, after I read this, and he said......soap and water.   I thought I finally had him, but he said this is something shops use to do all the time. Now, they are in too much of a hurry to get the rotors on the car and get paid.

So true.

280Z Turbo

Mine will shriek when I put them on sometimes. I'll have to keep that in mind.

JWC

Yeah, I'm about to do the front pads on the Saab. This was why the flyer caught my attention.