Yamaha YX600 Radian

Started by BimmerM3, August 09, 2016, 11:41:27 AM

BimmerM3

I have inherited a motorcycle.

Specifically it's a Yamaha YX600 Radian.

From what I know, it hasn't been ridden in awhile, but should run pretty well with some minor work. Right now it's in Atlanta - at some point I'm gonna have to tow it back to CO.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Nice. Have you ridden before?

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 09, 2016, 12:06:55 PM
Nice. Have you ridden before?

Nope. I've already found a place pretty close by that does the MSF courses.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on August 09, 2016, 12:35:56 PM
Nope. I've already found a place pretty close by that does the MSF courses.

Awesome. I'm sure you'll love it.

BimmerM3

Radian is packed up and ready to be shipped to CO. Ended up getting a UPack container (basically a smaller version of a POD).

Now I need to figure out when I'm going to do an MSF course, get gear, get licensed/insured, and get the bike in good running condition.

BimmerM3

Delivery on Monday. Not that it really matters since I still need to take the MSF course (i.e. actually learn how to ride), but at least it'll be here when I'm ready.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

Motorcycle world takeover continues. Critical mass acquired upon conversion of (1) Raza. Allocation of capital for "Operation Deliver Random Motorcycle To Philly" in progress
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 23, 2016, 02:48:22 AM
Motorcycle world takeover continues. Critical mass acquired upon conversion of (1) Raza. Allocation of capital for "Operation Deliver Random Motorcycle To Philly" in progress

Can we buy him a pink Chinese Vespa? :lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

BimmerM3

Radian has arrived and fits adequately in garage next to S2000. :praise:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 23, 2016, 09:34:26 AM
Can we buy him a pink Chinese Vespa? :lol:
No, he is a slave to aesthetics. We will throw a cafe racer kit on a TU250X and tell him it is a Triumph Thruxton. He will not know the difference

BimmerM3

I'm going to try to do an MSF course pretty soon here, so it's probably about time to start working on this thing.

I have no idea when the last time it ran was (it's been at least a year), but I have no reason to believe that there were any issues with it when it was parked. The carbs will almost definitely need to be tuned since I'm at a significantly different altitude than the bike's previous location.

I do have some sort of maintenance or service manual, but I haven't really looked at it much.

TODO:

• Plug charger back in
  • Buy fuel can
  • Buy fuel (Manual recommends regular gasoline)
  • Buy oil - YAMALUBE 4-cycle oil or 20W40
  • Buy oil filter - Part # KN-144 (for K&N brand, anyway)
  • Reconnect fuel line and fill tank
  • Try to start and see what happens?
  • Do oil change

Also,

so any advice or tips or whatever are more than welcome.

SVT_Power

Might want to drain out the fuel tank if the gas in there has been sitting for more than a year (especially if it wasn't treated with fuel stabilizer or something, but even still). You might also need a new battery.

I assume regular grade gasoline is enough for that bike. Filter, check online/manual/dealer for what you need. Engine oil for bikes is just as debatable as regular car engine oil, various types of Shell Rotella come highly recommended by owners across all kinds of bikes (yes Rotella the diesel engine oil).

As for carbs, I'd probably just find someone locally who can help you out with that. Check local forums or just take it to a bike shop, they'll sort out the carbs thing faster than you and I googling and tinkering with it
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

BimmerM3

Thanks.

I already found a manual online and updated a couple of the TODOs.

I was probably going to get a shop to do the carbs anyway, especially since it's a four-barrel so there's the extra step(s) of balancing them together. Once I'm more experienced I may learn to fiddle with the carbs myself.

12,000 RPM

Nice, MWTO continues.

Def take the MSF, but also practice some low speed stuff when you can. I'm finding that even with just a few months off the bike I'm rusty, and it's the low speed stuff that is sapping confidence.

shp4man

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 19, 2017, 10:37:43 AM
I'm going to try to do an MSF course pretty soon here, so it's probably about time to start working on this thing.

I have no idea when the last time it ran was (it's been at least a year), but I have no reason to believe that there were any issues with it when it was parked. The carbs will almost definitely need to be tuned since I'm at a significantly different altitude than the bike's previous location.

I do have some sort of maintenance or service manual, but I haven't really looked at it much.

TODO:

• Buy fuel can
  • Buy fuel (Manual recommends regular gasoline)
  • Buy oil - YAMALUBE 4-cycle oil or 20W40
  • Buy oil filter - Part # KN-144 (for K&N brand, anyway)
  • Reconnect fuel line and fill tank
  • Do oil change
  • Try to start and see what happens?

Also,

so any advice or tips or whatever are more than welcome.

So somebody drained the fuel at some point? Reconnect the line, put some premium in the tank, check for leaks, try to start the bastard. Battery is very likely dead and gone.
Crank it awhile, check for leaks, again.
That's what I would do. Be careful.

BimmerM3

Quote from: shp4man on April 19, 2017, 02:43:36 PM
So somebody drained the fuel at some point? Reconnect the line, put some premium in the tank, check for leaks, try to start the bastard. Battery is very likely dead and gone.
Crank it awhile, check for leaks, again.
That's what I would do. Be careful.

Oh yeah, I meant to mention that. I drained the fuel before I had it shipped (I was supposed to drain the oil to but I couldn't get the plug off with the minimal tools I had available at the time).

Battery was on a trickle charger before I had it shipped, so I'll find an extension chord and plug that back in.

giant_mtb

Use premium, ethanol-free if possible. Bikes get good mileage anyways. Or just Seafoam every couple tanks.

giant_mtb

Also, start it and warm it up first before you change the oil.  Drains better that way.  Do another oil change soon after if you feel like it.  Oil is also cheap. 😆

BimmerM3

Yeah, I guess I really just need to make sure the oil level is OK before starting it up. I'll worry about a full oil change when I'm actually ready to ride it.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 19, 2017, 04:29:54 PM
Yeah, I guess I really just need to make sure the oil level is OK before starting it up. I'll worry about a full oil change when I'm actually ready to ride it.

Fo sho.  Get it fired up and running good, then do the basic maintenance things.