VW Golf R Goes For A Top Speed Run, Hits 172 MPH On The Autobahn

Started by cawimmer430, April 06, 2021, 06:16:30 AM

cawimmer430

Slow....  :winkguy:

VW Golf R Goes For A Top Speed Run, Hits 172 MPH On The Autobahn

The new Volkswagen Golf R has proven itself to be exceptionally quick off the line and in this video, we find out just how fast it can go.

The new Golf R is powered by a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder. While this engine is largely the same as the unit used by the MK7.5-generation model, it has been fettled and now delivers 315 hp and 310 lb-ft (420 Nm) of torque, respectable gains of 27 hp and 15 lb-ft.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFRKXJzIJ0s

Before heading out onto the Autobahn to test out the hot hatch's top speed, the reviewer does some acceleration tests. With a rollout factored into the car's acceleration, it was able to hit 62 mph (100 km/h) in just 4.33 seconds when equipped with the Performance Package.

As for the car's top speed, VW's official claim is that an Mk8 Golf R with the Performance Package can hit 167 mph (270 km/h). However, with an open stretch of road, the reviewer is able to power the new Golf R through to a GPS-verified 276 km/h (171.4 mph) while the speedometer indicates 290 km/h (180 mph). The reviewer notes that at the indicated 290 km/h, the car hits an electronic limiter, reducing horsepower and boost pressure, leading him to suggest that the car may have even more speed up its sleeve.

Another cool function of the new Golf R demonstrated in this video is the Drift mode. Available exclusively with the Performance Package, Drift mode sends 100 per cent of the rear torque to the outside wheel, allowing for some impressive powerslides.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2021/04/vw-golf-r-goes-for-a-top-speed-run-hits-172-mph-on-the-autobahn/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SJ_GTI

I was less impressed with the AWD system once I read more about it. You have to read carefully...it sends "100% of the rear torque" to the outside wheel, but that is still only 50% of the total to the rear overall. So it really is just a drift mode...if you want to do anything other than drift you are better off just leaving it alone, at which point it pretty much is the same as the old system. The Ford Focus RS was more interesting (and impressive to me) because it could send >50% of its torque to the rear wheels, which was good for drifting but also good for sporty driving in general. My S4 was similar in that it sent 60% of the power to the rear (at all times) and could theoretically drift (but I never tried it in anything other than snow).

r0tor

I like the Alfa Q4 system sending 100% to the rear most of the time
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed