Wimmer's dream salvage yard

Started by JWC, March 19, 2019, 04:18:15 PM

JWC

I've driven past this salvage...well junk yard...for over twenty years. I've always been too busy to contact the owner. But, I think now is the time. The only safe time to photograph it is during the winter months while the copperheads are asleep in their coffins.

Shot last weekend, from the roadside, with an Olympus OM2n and Fomapan film.

JWC

A Ghia hit hard on the right side.

JWC

I have more shot. A 60 Comet hanging with its tail in the air. A 60s VW bus that the roof had caved in on....with a Dodge panel truck 50s era in front.

FoMoJo

Quote from: JWC on March 19, 2019, 04:18:15 PM
I've driven past this salvage...well junk yard...for over twenty years. I've always been too busy to contact the owner. But, I think now is the time. The only safe time to photograph it is during the winter months while the copperheads are asleep in their coffins.

Shot last weekend, from the roadside, with an Olympus OM2n and Fomapan film.

Nice photos.  Just wondered why they stacked the '58 Ford on top of what looks to be a Monte Carlo on top of whatever that other one is when they have all that room.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Great, emotional photos!  :wub:

Thanks for sharing. In the first photo, the car on the top... is that an Edsel?
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Soup DeVille

I believe thats a '58 Ford on top of a Monte Carlo on top of a Gran Torino.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

JWC

I don't think there is anything in this junk yard that is newer than 1980. There are military trucks, school buses, Datsun, and Toyota pickups...even farm equipment.  Oh, and a box car on semi trailer bogies.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 20, 2019, 06:02:12 AM
I believe thats a '58 Ford on top of a Monte Carlo on top of a Gran Torino.

Still gorgeous, even if it's not an Edsel! :lol:

Never understood the hate for the Edsel brand.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 23, 2019, 04:46:03 AM

I think it was more a case of overselling and under delivering than any real hate. It was supposed to be the car ofnthe future. Instead, it was a Ford with a toilet seat for a grille.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 23, 2019, 04:46:03 AM

Mercury was, debatably, a nicer car, and cheaper.  However, it was the unfulfilled expectation that was the major problem.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

JWC

I'm wondering if it is just this area I live in, or region.  I can drive on local back roads and I am always seeing old cars, just rusting away.  Last week I passed a farm house with four or five 50s era sedans among some barns. About four miles from my house are about ten Corvairs (with one or two vans) that I remember being there when I was in high school.

Do you guys find this also....I could probably go out tomorrow and shoot 50 frames of vehicles within a ten mile radius that are just sitting in fields or barns that are over 40 years old.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: JWC on March 23, 2019, 03:06:29 PM
I'm wondering if it is just this area I live in, or region.  I can drive on local back roads and I am always seeing old cars, just rusting away.  Last week I passed a farm house with four or five 50s era sedans among some barns. About four miles from my house are about ten Corvairs (with one or two vans) that I remember being there when I was in high school.

Do you guys find this also....I could probably go out tomorrow and shoot 50 frames of vehicles within a ten mile radius that are just sitting in fields or barns that are over 40 years old.

Yes. More trucks than cars perhaps, but yes.

JWC

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 23, 2019, 03:08:06 PM
Yes. More trucks than cars perhaps, but yes.

Trucks are grabbed up quickly around here. And antique tractors. Autos tend to just sit and rust.  Of course I have a non-running 19-year-old Volvo sitting on my patio....lol.

shp4man

I had a dream one time, several years ago, I had a fucking '59 Mercury. Black four door sedan. Not sure why I remember it, and it hasn't come true. We'll see.

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on March 23, 2019, 05:53:19 PM
I had a dream one time, several years ago, I had a fucking '59 Mercury. Black four door sedan. Not sure why I remember it, and it hasn't come true. We'll see.

I've always had a soft spot for Mercuries.  A nice '59 Convertible with a 430 would be a great cruiser.

JWC

Speaking of Edsels......about twenty-plus years ago, a friend and I rode mountain bikes along an abandoned railroad route. The rails and ties had been pulled, but the ballast remained. It was a tough ride, but enjoyable. At one point it took us through some swampy areas that hadn't seen anything but trains for decades.  In the water, among the cypress stumps was an Edsel with the front smashed to the windshield. It was too far from the rail line for us to reach it. We concluded it was probably a joyrider who took the rail line as a short cut and met a locomotive along the way.

It is still out there as far as I know.

FoMoJo

Quote from: JWC on March 23, 2019, 06:40:57 PM
Speaking of Edsels......about twenty-plus years ago, a friend and I rode mountain bikes along an abandoned railroad route. The rails and ties had been pulled, but the ballast remained. It was a tough ride, but enjoyable. At one point it took us through some swampy areas that hadn't seen anything but trains for decades.  In the water, among the cypress stumps was an Edsel with the front smashed to the windshield. It was too far from the rail line for us to reach it. We concluded it was probably a joyrider who took the rail line as a short cut and met a locomotive along the way.

It is still out there as far as I know.
A scene from The Flim Flam Man...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8H0Iz2gaiU

JWC

Funny--I remember many bragging about taking the RR tracks with their car as a short cut. My grandparents used to walk the rails to town since they didn't own a car. It was the short route to town and seeing a movie in the 1930s.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 23, 2019, 06:23:19 AM
I think it was more a case of overselling and under delivering than any real hate. It was supposed to be the car ofnthe future. Instead, it was a Ford with a toilet seat for a grille.

To me the Edsel grille never looked like a "toilet seat" or a "vagina". Man, the imagination people had back then... :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 23, 2019, 12:55:17 PM
Mercury was, debatably, a nicer car, and cheaper.  However, it was the unfulfilled expectation that was the major problem.

Gorgeous. I love 1950s cars, so much glamor and creativity. I mean look at the rear bumpers on this Mercury Turnpike Cruiser! Ralph Nader would be proud.  :wub:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 24, 2019, 03:52:28 AM
To me the Edsel grille never looked like a "toilet seat" or a "vagina". Man, the imagination people had back then... :lol:
Horse collar was the common description that I remember.

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 24, 2019, 03:54:05 AM
Gorgeous. I love 1950s cars, so much glamor and creativity. I mean look at the rear bumpers on this Mercury Turnpike Cruiser! Ralph Nader would be proud.  :wub:

I loved the names the models had as well; rather than the stupid numbering system so many use now.  I blame Ferrari for that.

CaminoRacer

Yes. Alphanumeric is so lazy. And done poorly 99% of the time.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 24, 2019, 07:51:29 AM
Horse collar was the common description that I remember.

I wonder if that was a bad word in the 1950s. Sort of how like "pussy cat" was a normal and innocent expression back in those days, and now the word "pussy" basically means cunt. :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

Longing for the return of the Coupe Deville D'Eleganze Landau Talisman?

93JC

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 24, 2019, 10:50:31 AM
Longing for the return of the Coupe Deville D'Eleganze Landau Talisman?

... Brougham.

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 24, 2019, 10:50:16 AM
I wonder if that was a bad word in the 1950s. Sort of how like "pussy cat" was a normal and innocent expression back in those days, and now the word "pussy" basically means cunt. :lol:
No, it really just looks like a horse collar :lol:.

Soup DeVille

"Horse Collar" was always reserved for Bugattis though.