There’s A Crazy Story Behind This First-Generation Audi A8 Ute

Started by cawimmer430, July 09, 2019, 05:16:14 AM

cawimmer430

The first luxury pickup...  :tounge:  :lol:

There's A Crazy Story Behind This First-Generation Audi A8 Ute

Ever since its launch in 1994, the Audi A8 flagship has only been offered as a sedan in short- and long-wheelbase configurations.

Unlike the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, the A8 never spawned coupe or convertible models — though the current iteration is rumored to offer a Maybach-rivaling version, which may or may not revive the Horch name, in the future.

While Audi never messed with the sedan formula, the automaker did release the Avantissimo Concept in 2001, which was essentially an A8 wagon. Unfortunately, the stunning design study never came to fruition, although it did preview the styling and technology of the second-gen luxury saloon.

Over the years there have been several independent attempts at building A8 wagons, most recently from Castagna Milano. But an A8 pickup? No way Jose!

Or hold your horses: say hello to the what's probably the only known first generation Audi A8 ute. This vehicle has a very interesting story shared with us by its owner, Steve. Here's how the idea to convert the A8 into a ute was born.

He had owned the car for about ten years as a saloon, but when he sold his work truck he suddenly realized that he needed a vehicle to use for work urgently.

"So I spoke to a mate of mine with the idea, and he thought I was nuts, but by which time I had already got to work with the angle grinder!" Steve says. There was just one problem, though: all Audi A8s have a bodywork made of aluminum.

That wasn't a big setback for Steve, however. "As the car was all aluminum, I got a local company to weld the doors and boot shut for me, and the rest of the panels we made from aluminum sheet and glued together just as they did in the factory," the owner recounts.

Perhaps the craziest thing about the whole thing is that the conversion took only six days to make — the car was urgently needed for work, remember?

Considering the circumstances, we find the end result absolutely spectacular. It should be quite fast too, as the 4.2 quattro badge means it's got 300 PS (296 hp) from its naturally aspirated V8 that's linked to a five-speed auto and an AWD system.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/theres-a-crazy-story-behind-this-first-generation-audi-a8-ute/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Why would he sell his work truck if he "urgently/suddenly" needed a work truck...?

"I'm gonna sell my work truck even though I have work I need to do!"

*one day later*

"Shit, I need a work truck, better take 6 days and convert my luxury sedan into a work truck!"

:nutty:

Soup DeVille

Yeah, he wanted to do it; the story just sounds made up.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator