The Official C8 Corvette Thread...

Started by Gotta-Qik-C7, April 25, 2018, 07:28:09 PM

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Rockraven on April 01, 2019, 10:30:02 AM
Yeah... given what day it is, I ain't clicking on that.

I had to disguise the link since it says April 1 at the end. :lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Gotta-Qik-C7

Payman

Well, this answers a big question. The last front engine Corvette is being built and will be auctioned off in June. The mid-engine C8 will be the only Corvette. But, that pretty much confirms a low $60k starting price.  :dance:

https://jalopnik.com/the-last-front-engine-corvette-will-be-auctioned-for-ch-1834032450

GoCougs

Welp, definitely a watershed moment. Building the C7 along side never seemed realistic - the sales volumes just don't seem worth the hassle.

Rumor is the C8 will debut with a base motor that is to be a ~500-550 hp N/A LT(x), which will no doubt find its way into the Camaro.

DCT + 500+ hp N/A V8 will be killer, and literally a thing that no one else is doing.

GoCougs

Also, it got the point that the Camaro was overall the better car, so there's that ;).

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on April 14, 2019, 06:26:40 PM
Welp, definitely a watershed moment. Building the C7 along side never seemed realistic - the sales volumes just don't seem worth the hassle.

Rumor is the C8 will debut with a base motor that is to be a ~500-550 hp N/A LT(x), which will no doubt find its way into the Camaro.

DCT + 500+ hp N/A V8 will be killer, and literally a thing that no one else is doing.

But nobody is offering a manual either, and that's a big missed opportunity to snag the few of us left that would love a mid-engine supercar with a stick. For my $65k, I'd still look for an 8-10 yr old R8 because I can get a gated shifter.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Rockraven on April 14, 2019, 05:54:54 PM
Well, this answers a big question. The last front engine Corvette is being built and will be auctioned off in June. The mid-engine C8 will be the only Corvette. But, that pretty much confirms a low $60k starting price.  :dance:

https://jalopnik.com/the-last-front-engine-corvette-will-be-auctioned-for-ch-1834032450
The auction for the last C7 (Black Z06) will be held in June but it won't be produced till a couple months later. IIRC the last car will be built in August....

SJ_GTI

I am curious to see how this works out. Part of me thinks this will not work out well for GM and this could end disastrously for the Corvette, but of course I do see the performance benefits so maybe it will all work out for the best.

12,000 RPM

It sounds like it's going to be a killer. A 500HP mid engine sports car for $70K to start.... should do well, and makes sense now that all the details are out.

Quote from: GoCougs on April 14, 2019, 06:26:40 PM

That is a special combo. But nothing can save the Camaro.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 15, 2019, 09:22:59 AM
I am curious to see how this works out. Part of me thinks this will not work out well for GM and this could end disastrously for the Corvette, but of course I do see the performance benefits so maybe it will all work out for the best.
I think for all the Buyers it loses for not being a "Traditional" Vette AND not having a manual gearbox it'll pick up just as many new (Younger) buyers!

FoMoJo

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on April 15, 2019, 05:08:51 PM
I think for all the Buyers it loses for not being a "Traditional" Vette AND not having a manual gearbox it'll pick up just as many new (Younger) buyers!
It should improve their race programme.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 15, 2019, 05:43:56 PM
It should improve their race programme.
Agreed! I can't wait to the C8 do battle with the 911s.....

r0tor

Bleh... Sports car racing has been reduced to a bunch of politicking over restrictor sizes and car weight
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Gotta-Qik-C7

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Rockraven on April 29, 2019, 02:01:55 PM
Lol, how funny would it be if he cars-n-coffee'd that thing into a tree.
:lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rockraven on April 29, 2019, 02:01:55 PM
Lol, how funny would it be if he cars-n-coffee'd that thing into a tree.

This is now a phrase. Well done!
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Payman

Cars-n-coffee'd verb - The act of crashing into an object, usually a tree, lamp post, or pedestrians, due to the act of showing off by driving in a manner beyond his/her actual driving skills, usually while entering a street from a parking lot. See douchebaggery, Mustang GT.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rockraven on April 29, 2019, 03:19:07 PM
Cars-n-coffee'd verb - The act of crashing into an object, usually a tree, lamp post, or pedestrians, due to the act of showing off by driving in a manner beyond his/her actual driving skills, usually while entering a street from a parking lot. See douchebaggery, Mustang GT.

Ah, I get it now.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

That's one of the reasons I liked going to the local cruise a few years ago.  The parking lot exited onto highway 12 and around 10:00pm, everyone would start lining up along each side of the highway to see the cars leaving.  The first few years, the cops would basically act as the starter and flag them off; then someone must've complained and they started writing tickets.  Spoiled the whole show.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Gotta-Qik-C7

:clap:

Gotta-Qik-C7

Xer0

It feels like the C7 JUST came out and its already being retired.  At only about 5 years, it feels like a much shorter generation than prior Vettes.  Kinda sad honestly, the Z51 and GS cars of this gen really did feel like the sweet spots in the lineup. 

Galaxy

How did the C7 sell compared to prior generations?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Galaxy on June 11, 2019, 01:25:15 PM

Well, I didn't buy one.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

RomanChariot

giant_mtb

Quote from: Galaxy on June 11, 2019, 01:25:15 PM

https://www.corvsport.com/corvette-sales-volume-year/

Looks like it sold pretty average compared to previous generations.  Decent bump up in sales for the first 2-3 years of the generation, followed by a fall-off.

Galaxy

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 11, 2019, 02:19:27 PM
https://www.corvsport.com/corvette-sales-volume-year/

Looks like it sold pretty average compared to previous generations.  Decent bump up in sales for the first 2-3 years of the generation, followed by a fall-off.

Thanks for that.

Interesting that the late 70s early 80s were the peak Corvette years. Did not expect that.