The ///M Car Thread

Started by MexicoCityM3, September 19, 2018, 11:49:28 PM

MexicoCityM3

We have Mustang, Corvette and G whatever threads among others.

So, since I picked up a new one today, its a good time to start with this as well. Maybe in time some of you will see the true light and join.

Picked it up in the afternoon just before a large storm lol.

The pickup experience was of course very nice.

@Dealer....

Street parked 20 minutes later at an appointment (before the storm)....

I only drove it for a few kms today (about 8 total). Everything in the most comfortable settings all the time. The ride is quite ok, not too harsh at all - definitely softer than my 1M and E46  and harsher than the M5 - as expected. The missing center console made me fall a bit like an ass every time I got in the car because usually I support myself there. During driving I didn't notice it.

I haven't owned a modern DCT before so, to no one's surprise it feels to me amazingly good. I left it in D1 (the least agressive mode) and super comfortable. Of course I am used to the M5's SMG which is basically undriveable in auto mode. Car feels super solid and rigid which bodes well. Interior is super nice in looks and materials. Seats are perfect. Tech is ok - of course a little dated maybe but more than modern enough for me. The car is low but it cleared ok (with significant care) a good number of speed bumps that I drove on here in Mexico City.

Tomorrow I have a long highway drive home and will share some more. No pressing the car until break in of 2,000km is religiously completed so that's a limiting factor.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

CALL_911

Beautiful car and nothing but the very best.

But I gotta ask, is there really a benefit in getting rid of the auto climate control?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

cawimmer430

Very nice car. Congrats again!   :rockon:  :mrcool:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SJ_GTI

FoMoJo

Beauty.  Love the white with black wheels.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 20, 2018, 04:45:30 AM
Beautiful car and nothing but the very best.

But I gotta ask, is there really a benefit in getting rid of the auto climate control?

I think that's ridiculous too. But maybe a little. In losing the center console it also loses the a/c vents for the rear seats that sit on it. But the difference in weight of the head unit I am sure is negligible.

Poor kids fortunately they're too little to know any better.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

r0tor

That's an amazing overall package... Im not sure though I would personally go above the comp package though and deal with the extra comprimises
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: r0tor on September 20, 2018, 06:56:18 AM
That's an amazing overall package... Im not sure though I would personally go above the comp package though and deal with the extra comprimises

I only did it because of the killer deal we got that meant this was basically at no premium over a competition package. And of course because this is the "M fanboi" edition.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

CaminoRacer

I didn't realize it doesn't have the center console. Pics?

I love the white.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 20, 2018, 09:27:09 AM
I didn't realize it doesn't have the center console. Pics?

I love the white.
I was wondering about the centre console as well.  There's this...https://www.autoblog.com/2018/05/20/2018-bmw-m3-cs-first-drive-review/#slide-7333227

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

MexicoCityM3

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

FoMoJo

giant_mtb

I never liked auto climate control.  Seemed fussy in my A4.  Preferred setting fan speed and vents myself.  Like in the summer, I liked to run the cold air through the defroster vents so I got more of a cool waft instead of a direct breeze from the dashboard vents.

CALL_911

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 20, 2018, 03:13:54 PM
I never liked auto climate control.  Seemed fussy in my A4.  Preferred setting fan speed and vents myself.  Like in the summer, I liked to run the cold air through the defroster vents so I got more of a cool waft instead of a direct breeze from the dashboard vents.

Be that as it may, reason I ask is because its decontenting for no reason and for more $.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MexicoCityM3

So I took a long highway drive home (250 miles) on mostly good highways. Undergoing break in so of course I didn't push it. Some initial impressions:

- The ride quality in comfort is much better than expected, even maybe a tiny bit floaty in some situations. Sport is absolutely tolerable on reasonable road surfaces. I think it actually rides better than a friend's comp on the 20's that I drove recently. Not night and day but noticeable.

- I didn't really miss the center console during the long drive but I found the extra thick steering wheel somewhat uncomfortable.

- The passing power is simply awesome. I can tell this will simply walk all my other cars - easily.

- Overall it is more of a "race car" experience than my other cars. Sorta like (within due proportions) the closest you can get to a 4 door GT3 "experience".

- Today I took my kid to school in it "Papá, ¡coche blanco de carreras!"  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (that's the whole point of the 4 door). It was a bit cold and the car had a nasty "cricket" on the center console. I cranked up the stereo a bit and the power to sport+. Years ago I'd have gotten all wired up about a "noise" on my "new" car. Experience has taught me to crank up the stereo.

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

giant_mtb

That's awesome.  Does he like it when dad mashes the throttle?

FoMoJo

r0tor

What a terrible father... You should be driving a 15 year old Buick to teach him about being responsible

cawimmer430

Quote from: r0tor on September 21, 2018, 10:17:54 AM
What a terrible father... You should be driving a 15 year old Buick to teach him about being responsible

Or a CR-V!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MexicoCityM3

Update on the cars.

All have exploded because BMW reliability. Me broke.

Not.

- The E60 M5 battery died a couple of weeks ago and gave me a scare. It simply lost all power on ignition. I had to hook up the battery tender to get the trunk open (barely). Battery didn't hold any charge. Fortunately that was it. Damage: $380.

- 1M nothing to report but it has been used very little

- E46 M3 lost the inside lining trim on the A & C pillars. I glued it back on the best way I could. It doesn't look perfect but I am not replacing those pillar linings (yet). It needs a radiator but I have been pushing that off. Pushing it on hot weather water temps creep up. So I don't push it in hot weather.

- M3 CS - On a long drive a small stone got lodged between the parking brake caliper and one rear brake disc. It made a terrible noise. Turns out this is common. Called my dealer SA friend and he said to reverse a little and then brake with the handbrake. Stone came loose, all is well, no damage. I completed the break in period a few months ago. I haven't tracked it, might take it this sunday. The performance envelope of this car is far above all my other cars. It's a savage crazy thing. It will break traction all the time in 1st and 2nd and ocassionally in 3rd. I am 99% sure it will outrun the GT4 on track at our altitude.

- X5 - Nothing to report other than scheduled (free) maintenance. The knobs on the rear A/C controls both came loose and got lost. It's a poor design they can get easily kicked by accident. X5 is now at 50K km almost.

. GT4 - mostly parked in Mexico City so almost no use

- MINI - Brake pads & discs replaced.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

93JC

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on April 09, 2019, 05:54:11 PM
Update on the cars.

All have exploded because BMW reliability. Me broke.

TL;DR past this.

Submariner

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 20, 2018, 02:59:33 PM
What's the big knob for?

To distract from the one in the driver seat.  :lol:
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 93JC on April 10, 2019, 10:46:59 AM
TL;DR past this.

I had the exact same though when I read his post, but it seemed too obvious.  :lol:

Char

Super Jealous - really nice car!
And look, you have a proper oil temp gauge. 

(Seriously considers trading car for M2)
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 93JC on April 10, 2019, 10:46:59 AM
TL;DR past this.

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 10, 2019, 11:03:16 AM
:lol:

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 10, 2019, 11:25:20 AM
I had the exact same though when I read his post, but it seemed too obvious.  :lol:

You didn't miss anything really.  :lol:
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Char on April 10, 2019, 02:01:43 PM
Super Jealous - really nice car!
And look, you have a proper oil temp gauge. 

(Seriously considers trading car for M2)

Thanks. We seem to be the only ones taking "crazy" chances with BMW reliability around here.

The new M2 Comp is excellentno doubt close to best-in-class. And an OG M2 is excellent value probably now that the comp is out.

Having said that, your car is probably the better all around car. Not as harsh as an ///M and pretty much as fast in 99.9% of real world situations. And it can be modded to outrun the M on track.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on April 11, 2019, 04:11:00 PM
Thanks. We seem to be the only ones taking "crazy" chances with BMW reliability around here.
Oh my god, let it go man.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs