First Drive Review: 2019 BMW Z3 sDrive 30i

Started by cawimmer430, March 06, 2019, 07:45:32 PM

cawimmer430

First Drive Review: 2019 BMW Z3 sDrive 30i

Coachella is a town, not a thing. For the 356 days a year when Boy Pablo and Childish Gambino aren't in residence, it's a prosaic farm community, where highlighter-pink and yellow signs hawk Medjool dates, shaken fresh from the trees that tower over checkerboards of agri-business green and dust-bowl khaki.

That other Coachella makes for a great place to test one-half of the 2019 BMW Z4's personality: the convertible side. Shush along a stand of date palms, under a scud of clouds, top and windows down, and the scene wouldn't look too different from those black-and-white posters of antique roadsters zipping down French country lanes.

The latest Z4 rekindles the romance BMW left to cool in 2016. Back in the '90s the Z3 was meant to rival the Miata in a roadster renaissance that never really happened. It got bigger, it changed its name. Things got complicated.

Now with crossover SUVs swarming—a half-dozen occupy the BMW showroom alone—the Z4 signals some smarter, if smaller, ambitions. It's just trying to connect with the right person. It's that guy who hangs around until all the other shooters have taken their shot and missed.

A hardtop swap for the better

To bring itself back from the dead, the Z4's had to do away with a few things, such as a folding hardtop. It sports a soft roof now, one that tucks away quickly—in a half-minute, fast enough for a stoplight mood change, or at speeds of up to 30 mph, when the weather won't wait for the next red light.

Of course, it's better looking that way, anyway. The starter kit of cutlines and wide twin-nostril grilles and deep side-flank stampings doesn't wear as well with the roof up: It looks like a Boxster rear-ending a Crossfire. Flick a switch, tuck it away, and it all meshes perfectly, the visual kin to the flouncy half-tuxedo Billy Porter wore at this year's Oscars.

The crash of cues on the body gets sorted out inside the Z4's luscious cockpit. BMW has grown more adept at integrating screens and controls into its cabins, and the Z4 tightens up its interior game even more. The wide, high-resolution touchscreen on the dash fairs in with the sculpted wave that cants controls toward the driver. A riot of colorful leather drapes across the seats and panels, for a price. The best detail: A textured aluminum on the console that mimics the texture of a '60s watchband.

Greater interior finish doesn't translate into greater room, as far as we can tell. As we slid into insanely supportive sport seats, the Z4's driving position tugged at our subconscious. The issue: The driver seat angles knees to the left, while the door handles nudge into the cabin for better side-impact protection. Gauges and screens tilt a degree or two off the true horizon, and it all compiles into a driving position that's flawed but easily workable.

Anything seems doable if you head west toward the mountains with the top down and the sound system set to chill. In roofless mode, the Z4 sends just a ruffle of air over the top of a tall driver's head, at a volume quiet enough that the enthusiastic drive noises it broadcasts all but overwhelm the wind.

Warning: sheep ahead

To show off the 2019 Z4's other assets, you have to go beyond Coachella and find a road where the road signs depict squiggles or sheep or falling rocks. In the Coachella Valley, that road would be Ortega Highway, an hour's trip through mind-numbing traffic sometimes comprised entirely of gold-kit Lexus sedans.

Once you're past the Starbucks and essing uphill past the first few turnouts—our GoPro lens cover is down there somewhere, off the mountainside, if you find one—the Z4 opens up and shows its heart. In the Z4 sDrive30i Roadster, that organ is a 2.0-liter turbo-4 with 255 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque. You know it from the 2-Series and the 4-Series, but here it only has to drag around about 3,300 pounds, or about 400 less than a 2er.

That makes for scintillating, trippy rides up and over the mountains, where you can let the turbo-4 air itself out and wind up into the 6,000-rpm range. BMW's promise of a 5.2-second 0-60 mph time seems safe, and so does the predicted 3.9-second time for the coming 382-hp Z4 M40i, with power brought to you by BMW's thrilling turbocharged inline-6.

Toggle through the shift paddles and the turbo-4 reels out torque with gusto. Flick the pedal on the left and you'll trigger nothing, mostly because there isn't a third pedal: The Z4 is automatic-only. Its 8-speed sits at the top of the best-automatics-ever list, and it's as responsive to commands as ever. It is still a sports car if the shift lever never has to move, though?

Canyon-flicker

Put us in the "yes" column. The 2019 Z4 doesn't need a stick to hit all the correct notes in a sports-car symphony. It has the finely tuned grip to match its prodigious power—and that's more than authentic enough.

With a wider track than the 2016 car, and the upcharge 19-inch wheels and tires available to turbo-4 drivers, the 2019 Z4 plants itself perfectly in any given corner on Ortega's kinky backside. It draws on some reliable 3-Series bits to do so: BMW drew a strut and multi-link suspension with double joints for more precise control, and cast some pieces in aluminum to drop unsprung weight.

It also grabs adaptive dampers, an easy $700 upgrade that makes the magnitude of difference in the Z4. The dampers give the Z4 a margin of stretch and flex, like every pair of Polo jeans on the shelf today. You might prefer the straight-up approach of conventional springs and shocks, but the flexy stuff fits more situations better—and the same's true for the Z4 with the adaptive setup. It rides very well, especially for a short-wheelbase car, though there's not much it can do when the road breaks into tectonic plates. The adaptive shocks excuse many road sins, but some just can't be forgiven.

Shod with 19-inch tires and the adaptive shocks, the Z4 finds an admirable default drive mode that grows more steely in Sport and Sport+. Those modes bring sharper focus for the variable-assist electric power steering, too. It's content to thread its way gently through wide sweepers in Comfort mode with grace. It's a little behind the curve even in Sport+ mode, where anything more intense than 7/10ths cries out for more steering feedback. It just doesn't have much in any mode.

It does have all the essentials, all in place when and where they need to be. For us, that's heading south on Highway 74; somewhere north of 3,500 rpm, where the bratty turbo-4 exudes a mellow tenor siren song; and with an hour or two before we have to turn back.

2019 BMW Z4: The stuff you want

Settling up your bar tab at the BMW dealer won't take much more than $50,000 if you play your cards right.

BMW stuffs automatic emergency braking in the Z4's safety package and puts adaptive cruise control and blind-spot monitors within a couple grand's reach.

We could quibble more over its insistence in charging $80 a year for Apple CarPlay compatibility beyond year one—on top of a $50,695 bill for a bare-bones car, yet. Still the latest Z4 gets standard LED headlights, the power-folding soft top, and Bluetooth with audio streaming. There's a $2,450 track handling package with a sport rear differential and heavier-duty brakes, and other options we'd tick, such as leather upholstery, a head-up display, and wireless smartphone charging.

Take them all? That drives the price of the 2019 BMW Z4 sDrive30i Roadster up near $65,000, where the 2020 Z4 M40i Roadster is sure to play—Porsche 718 Boxster territory, in other words. That turbo-6 companion piece shows up in showrooms in just a few more weeks—which means it's almost time for another drive among the palms.

Siri, write a note: "Put the dates on your calendar again."

Link: https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1121781_first-drive-review-the-2019-bmw-z4-sdrive30i-revives-the-roadster
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MexicoCityM3

I hate that they killed the manual. I think the Supra will be the better choice among these twins.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

Don't think the Supra has a manual either

Not sure what's going on there
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

shp4man

The styling looks like a Japanese car. The Japanese designers should be proud.

SJ_GTI

It looks good in that picture.

I owned a Z3 way back in the day, I really liked that car. The Z4 seems way more like a GT car than a sports car though. The Z3 was trying to be a sports car but it was still built on a modified chassis of a 3-series IIRC (which is why it was so much heavier than a Miata).

Raza

I won't be trading my Z4 for it, I can tell you that.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Supposedly the Supra will be available with a manual transmission but only for RHD markets, so Japan, the UK, South Africa etc.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Soup DeVille

It looks good in the picture there, the lack of a manual is criminal, and whoever that reviewer is needs an intervention on the vapid celebrity/fashion worship.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

I think Raza's Z is the best of the breed. There's a lack of cohesiveness here IMO
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 08, 2019, 03:54:37 PM
I think Raza's Z is the best of the breed. There's a lack of cohesiveness here IMO

As a driver's car, I'd agree.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on March 08, 2019, 04:34:48 PM
As a driver's car, I'd agree.

What else do you really want in a 2 seat convertible?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 08, 2019, 04:40:04 PM
What else do you really want in a 2 seat convertible?

Something that's attractive?  The E85 has a face only a mother could love.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on March 08, 2019, 04:52:42 PM
Something that's attractive?  The E85 has a face only a mother could love.

Fair enough.