1994 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo Just Sold For Nearly $174,000

Started by cawimmer430, March 11, 2019, 10:25:23 AM

cawimmer430

1994 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo Just Sold For Nearly $174,000

Prices for Mk4 Toyota Supra models are currently on the rise, and one example recently sold for a hefty 173,600 in the United States.

The Supra in question is a 1994 model outfitted with the desirable twin-turbocharged 2ZJ engine. In addition, the car includes Toyota's six-speed manual transmission, the factory targa top, is painted black and outfitted with a tan interior. What's more, the Japanese sports car crossed the auction block with just 11,200 miles (18,024 km) under its belt.

RM Sotheby's listing of the car shows that it was sold new in Illinois and stayed there for at least two years, racking up almost 6,000 miles (9,656 km). It was later imported to Switzerland roughly 12 months ago before finding its way back to the United States.

In 2015, the Supra was listed for sale by St. Louis Car Museum and Sales with 10,553 miles (16,983 km) for $99,000. Many Supra enthusiasts were shocked at this asking price, but as it turns out, it may have actually been conservative.

Depending on the market, the twin-turbo, fourth-generation Supra pumped out up to 321 hp at 5600 rpm and 315 lb-ft (427 Nm) of torque at 4000 rpm. Range-topping models sold in the United States could reach 62 mph (100 km/h) in less than 5 seconds and record low-13 second runs down the quarter mile.

The Mk4 Supra is also a favorite among tuning companies and finding one that's original without a huge number of miles on the clock is difficult. So maybe we shouldn't be surprised this example sold for so much then.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/03/1994-toyota-supra-twin-turbo-just-sold-for-nearly-174000/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

Time marches on.  The Boomer nostalgia demand for 60s Muscle cars sent prices for them through the roof, now they're going down.  I guess the early Ricers are starting to get a bit nostalgic for their 'old' cars now.   Soon we'll be seeing 80s/90s Maximas and Civics going for astronomical prices; fart cans and all.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

BimmerM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 11, 2019, 12:10:12 PM
Soon we'll be seeing 80s/90s Maximas and Civics going for astronomical prices; fart cans and all.

No, we won't, just like there were plenty of cars from the 60s that never reached collector status.

I don't know how accurate this site is, but according to them, there were fewer than 4000 Turbo Supras with the 6-speed sold in the US. They're rare cars that have always been highly regarded - it shouldn't be surprising that a stock, low mileage example in good condition is commanding this kind of money.

http://mkiv.com/specifications/sales_numbers/retail_sales.html

12,000 RPM

The Supra is a rare and important car. These prices make 100% sense.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 11, 2019, 12:26:24 PM
The Supra is a rare and important car. These prices make 100% sense.

At half that price. Maybe.

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 11, 2019, 12:23:05 PM
No, we won't, just like there were plenty of cars from the 60s that never reached collector status.

I don't know how accurate this site is, but according to them, there were fewer than 4000 Turbo Supras with the 6-speed sold in the US. They're rare cars that have always been highly regarded - it shouldn't be surprising that a stock, low mileage example in good condition is commanding this kind of money.

I was kidding :lol:.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

shp4man

It's an often asked question. How much is this vintage car worth? The answer is what someone is willing to pay for it.

GoCougs

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 11, 2019, 12:23:05 PM

You never know - the '55/'56/'56 Chevy was the Camcord of its day. Prices never got "astronomical" for them save for something uber rare like a '57 Fuelie but they did attain collector status.

As to this Supra, not a huge fan - 10x more reliable/durable than anything else of the day but way overpriced and overhyped WRT performance. But it did have its fans and that determines a lot.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on March 11, 2019, 12:51:43 PM
At half that price. Maybe.

See below:

Quote from: shp4man on March 11, 2019, 01:02:52 PM
It's an often asked question. How much is this vintage car worth? The answer is what someone is willing to pay for it.

If it were worth half that price.... it would have sold at half that price.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

IMO the Supra is notable more for being the swan song of the Japanese economic bubble than it is for its virtues as a sports car/GT. The FD and Skyline were much more noteworthy performers.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Yawwwwn. People are dumb as hell. This isn't a $10,000 car, or even a 10 second car. More like a 10 minute car.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 11, 2019, 01:40:47 PM
Yawwwwn. People are dumb as hell. This isn't a $10,000 car, or even a 10 second car. More like a 10 minute car.

Bullshit. Tuna Race Wars. Spoooon!
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 11, 2019, 02:49:11 PM
Bullshit. Tuna Race Wars. Spoooon!

Toretto! SWAT came into my house and disrespected my whole family because your Supra ran out of NOS!!!

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 11, 2019, 01:35:34 PM
See below:

If it were worth half that price.... it would have sold at half that price.

Common yet lazy and naïve saying.

Eye of the Tiger

RomanChariot

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 11, 2019, 03:13:52 PM
The manifold is attached to the floorboard, right?

Attached to the seat and goes through the floor. Lets you relieve yourself when the turbos kick in.

GoCougs

Quote from: Rockraven on March 11, 2019, 03:10:23 PM
Common yet lazy and naïve saying.

How so?

Auctions are a virtually perfectly efficient means of market value determination.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: GoCougs on March 11, 2019, 03:54:29 PM

How so?

Auctions are a virtually perfectly efficient means of market value determination.

I mean it could be just 2 people in the world who really like the car. In which case 1 auction result means practically nothing when extrapolated to the whole market. You need similar results in multiple auctions.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 11, 2019, 03:59:08 PM
I mean it could be just 2 people in the world who really like the car. In which case 1 auction result means practically nothing when extrapolated to the whole market. You need similar results in multiple auctions.
A couple a really big F & F fans?

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on March 11, 2019, 03:54:29 PM

How so?

Negative. I attend auctions almost every other weekend, and rarely does something go for it's actual worth. More often than not, people grossly overpay because they are caught up in the bidding. Conversely, items get grossly undersold because the interest in that item is not in attendance.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 11, 2019, 03:13:52 PM
The manifold is attached to the floorboard, right?

No, the manifold pressure safety release blowoff panel IS the floorboard.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 11, 2019, 03:59:08 PM

Quote from: Rockraven on March 11, 2019, 04:09:44 PM
Negative. I attend auctions almost every other weekend, and rarely does something go for it's actual worth. More often than not, people grossly overpay because they are caught up in the bidding. Conversely, items get grossly undersold because the interest in that item is not in attendance.

How big is the "whole market" for ultra low mile/as-new 4th gen Supras?

Thus, by definition, 1 auction result, esp. something so widely advertised as this auction, literally means everything, thus, also by definition2, the ("whole") market value is ~$174,000.

Eye of the Tiger

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on March 11, 2019, 05:04:39 PM
I thought the floor was like one big manifold.

No, that's the manyhold. It holds many nawses.

Submariner

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 11, 2019, 05:22:08 PM
No, that's the manyhold. It holds many nawses.

With enough room for all of your GReddy and VTEC stickers.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550