1994 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo Just Sold For Nearly $174,000

Started by cawimmer430, March 11, 2019, 10:25:23 AM

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on March 11, 2019, 04:09:44 PM
Negative. I attend auctions almost every other weekend, and rarely does something go for it's actual worth. More often than not, people grossly overpay because they are caught up in the bidding. Conversely, items get grossly undersold because the interest in that item is not in attendance.
So what's a better way? Private sales get into bidding wars too, only three buyers have no idea what the other bids are. I'd say public auctions are about as efficient as it gets, and this Supra sold for not a dollar more or less than it's worth.

I think you, like a lot of people, are angry that these are no longer affordable. But if you haven't bought one in the last 25 years you were probably were never gonna buy one in the first place
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Gotta-Qik-C7

To me this is no different from an all original, Numbers Matching 25 year old 426 'Cuda with only 10K on the clock........  And we all know how much that would've went for at the time!  :huh:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 12, 2019, 05:00:27 AM
So what's a better way? Private sales get into bidding wars too, only three buyers have no idea what the other bids are. I'd say public auctions are about as efficient as it gets, and this Supra sold for not a dollar more or less than it's worth.

I think you, like a lot of people, are angry that these are no longer affordable. But if you haven't bought one in the last 25 years you were probably were never gonna buy one in the first place

Lol, no.

Payman

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on March 12, 2019, 06:39:14 AM
To me this is no different from an all original, Numbers Matching 25 year old 426 'Cuda with only 10K on the clock........  And we all know how much that would've went for at the time!  :huh:

A 'Cuda from 1994?  :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rockraven on March 12, 2019, 07:00:28 AM

Yes. An icon of the pinnacle of an entire era of performance cars.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

GoCougs

Quote from: Rockraven on March 12, 2019, 07:00:28 AM

Such a vehicle today is reliably a ~$1MM car. So yes, 1994 was probably about the last time those cars sold for $174k ;).

r0tor

I personally think 90% of collector car "value" is a complete joke.  Every 60s muscle car out there is made of mass produced parts and can be relatively easily "cloned" with mass produced parts.  But oh the one originally assembled that way is worth 10x more then the one made from the same parts 50 years later.  Give me a break. These things are not one off paintings handcrafted by an artist....its just an object bolted together from shit made on an assembly line.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on March 12, 2019, 09:40:59 AM
Such a vehicle today is reliably a ~$1MM car. So yes, 1994 was probably about the last time those cars sold for $174k ;).
I believe that the value of collector muscle cars will drop significantly as the boomers die off.  The X genners, et al, will be pining over the old imports they had as youths.  It's already starting to happen.

We saw the market for pre war classics, Duesenbergs, Cords, Packards, Model Ts, etc. shrink considerably a few years ago and the market for '60s muscle go crazy.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on March 12, 2019, 09:52:35 AM
I personally think 90% of collector car "value" is a complete joke.  Every 60s muscle car out there is made of mass produced parts and can be relatively easily "cloned" with mass produced parts.  But oh the one originally assembled that way is worth 10x more then the one made from the same parts 50 years later.  Give me a break. These things are not one off paintings handcrafted by an artist....its just an object bolted together from shit made on an assembly line.

Huh? There is a ginormous swath of collectibles that were once "mass produced" that have an extremely durable and robust history - watches, firearms, toys, furniture, coins, jewelry, etc.

shp4man

There are lists of old car values published, they're based on auction prices, mostly.
Cars on CL usually don't sell for those prices, depending.

Eye of the Tiger

Auction values (the six digit ones) are determined by 1%-ers swinging their dicks. The value to 99% of people is not considered.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 12, 2019, 10:19:03 AM
I believe that the value of collector muscle cars will drop significantly as the boomers die off.  The X genners, et al, will be pining over the old imports they had as youths.  It's already starting to happen.

We saw the market for pre war classics, Duesenbergs, Cords, Packards, Model Ts, etc. shrink considerably a few years ago and the market for '60s muscle go crazy.

It might, but various collectible markets have endured, per the previous list.

Most cars of the are modified to great/significant extent, and that market is by far the most robust it's ever been, courtesy of ginormous gains in aftermarket tech, particularly electronics, proliferation of the GM LS motors, and gains in manufacturing tech. This demographic is young and I think will buoy the true collectibles for the foreseeable future.

12,000 RPM

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on March 12, 2019, 10:29:42 AM
Huh? There is a ginormous swath of collectibles that were once "mass produced" that have an extremely durable and robust history - watches, firearms, toys, furniture, coins, jewelry, etc.

How many of those items can I get a catalog and order new parts to clone them...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

I find it quaint that not understanding something makes the thing, rather than the person who doesn't understand it, stupid.

Would I pay $174K for a Supra Turbo? Hell no. But it's pretty obvious why someone would.

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on March 12, 2019, 11:33:14 AM
How many of those items can I get a catalog and order new parts to clone them...

Most of them - look anywhere from numerous replacement/NOS parts suppliers to eBay to reproduction manufacturers. Two collectible markets I play in - firearms and model trains - are exactly that. Most any classic of each is can be easily cloned or rebuilt (though it gets tricky with firearms owing to various laws about transfers, serial numbers, etc.) and is sometimes available for purchase as a new item.

By definition the market exists, and it's an extremely efficient one, and has been since the '90s. Emotion doesn't obviate reality.

r0tor

So if I can buy NOS parts and build it from scratch, it's not worth anything more then the build cost

12,000 RPM

Then why do people buy old cars instead of building them?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on March 12, 2019, 11:33:14 AM

Some. And if you were to do so, your clone would never be a tenth as valuable as the original.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on March 12, 2019, 12:30:03 PM
So if I can buy NOS parts and build it from scratch, it's not worth anything more then the build cost

*than.

But that's the least of the problems with this argument.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 12, 2019, 10:37:16 AM
Auction values (the six digit ones) are determined by 1%-ers swinging their dicks. The value to 99% of people is not considered.

Nor is it relevant. They're not buyers.

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on March 12, 2019, 12:30:03 PM

You can't build a classic muscle car with NOS parts from scratch, though for a select couple (Camaro, Mustang) you can get pretty close with (mostly) aftermarket parts.

Even if you could so such a thing - either with NOS or aftermarket parts - your premise simply doesn't exist, ergo, neither does your argument. (That's not me speaking, it the market telling you how things are).

shp4man

People who love old cars wouldn't really want a clone. Being old is part of the package.

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on March 12, 2019, 12:39:16 PM
You can't build a classic muscle car with NOS parts from scratch, though for a select couple (Camaro, Mustang) you can get pretty close with (mostly) aftermarket parts.

Even if you could so such a thing - either with NOS or aftermarket parts - your premise simply doesn't exist, ergo, neither does your argument. (That's not me speaking, it the market telling you how things are).

Your failure is trying to treat a Choo Choo train or a Camaro like a piece of irreplaceable fine art.  It is not.

You can reproduce the look of a Picasso, but it will never have his actual brush marks.  Its an imitation.  If I rebuild a GT350 from a donor car and a bunch of NOS parts - it's the same as a GT350 that rolled off the line.

All "value" in this crap is completely fake.

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on March 12, 2019, 12:56:31 PM
Your failure is trying to treat a Choo Choo train or a Camaro like a piece of irreplaceable fine art.  It is not.

You can reproduce the look of a Picasso, but it will never have his actual brush marks.  Its an imitation.  If I rebuild a GT350 from a donor car and a bunch of NOS parts - it's the same as a GT350 that rolled off the line.

All "value" in this crap is completely fake.

Oh, r0tor, whatever you do, don't you ever stop.