1994 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo Just Sold For Nearly $174,000

Started by cawimmer430, March 11, 2019, 10:25:23 AM

FoMoJo

It's all about the 'exclusivity' baby.  A numbers matching car in mint condition whereby only 2 were made of that exact description, and the other one was junked, is gold.

It explains this...$3.5 million! This Hemi Cuda is the most expensive Mopar ever

It may be a crap car, but it's the only one, maybe.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

Quote from: shp4man on March 12, 2019, 12:49:51 PM
People who love old cars wouldn't really want a clone. Being old is part of the package.

Virtually everyone understands the premise of a collectible, even if they're not into a particular type, or can't afford it, or whatever.

Xer0

Damn, some of ya'll sound pretty jealous that some people enjoy spending their money  :lol:

BimmerM3

This is a silly argument, even by CarSpin standards.

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 12, 2019, 01:21:04 PM
This is a silly argument, even by CarSpin standards.
At least this argument is about cars. :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on March 12, 2019, 12:56:31 PM
If I rebuild a GT350 from a donor car and a bunch of NOS parts - it's the same as a GT350 that rolled off the line.
If you build a GT350 from a donor car and NOS parts, by your own definition it's not a complete GT350 that rolled off the line.

And at the risk of sounding like Cougs, "value" is the fuel & lube of human civilization. $174K Supras included
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

BimmerM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 12, 2019, 01:25:24 PM
At least this argument is about cars. :huh:

Except not really. It's just semantics regarding the difference between personal value and market value.

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 12, 2019, 01:37:33 PM
Except not really. It's just semantics regarding the difference between personal value and market value.
...of cars. :huh:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 12, 2019, 01:37:33 PM
There is no difference :lol:

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 12, 2019, 02:06:43 PM
There is no difference :lol:

Not according to you...

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 12, 2019, 11:37:47 AM
Would I pay $174K for a Supra Turbo? Hell no. But it's pretty obvious why someone would.

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 12, 2019, 01:27:17 PM
If you build a GT350 from a donor car and NOS parts, by your own definition it's not a complete GT350 that rolled off the line.

And at the risk of sounding like Cougs, "value" is the fuel & lube of human civilization. $174K Supras included

So what's the difference between a real GT350 and a properly done fake one. It's all Exactly the same parts - except the fake one wasn't assembled by yam heads that put ~5 defects into it on the assembly line
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on March 12, 2019, 02:50:00 PM
So what's the difference between a real GT350 and a properly done fake one. It's all Exactly the same parts - except the fake one wasn't assembled by yam heads that put ~5 defects into it on the assembly line

The original is original, and nobody can make any more. Its value is in its rarity.

Yes, one could build a fairly passable clone out of parts, but it won't be as valuable; because someone else also could make a good fake.

Its 0% about which car is better. One could buy an objectively better car at any dealership in the country.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Payman

Going to this local auction. It's in a small hamlet nearby, and I hope nobody there knows the real value of a 1968 Shelby GT500KR.

https://sullivanauctions.com/event/auction-garage-equipment-and-vehicles-auction/

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 12, 2019, 02:57:50 PM
The original is original, and nobody can make any more. Its value is in its rarity.

Yes, one could build a fairly passable clone out of parts, but it won't be as valuable; because someone else also could make a good fake.

Its 0% about which car is better. One could buy an objectively better car at any dealership in the country.

Which is crap because a car is made of parts - and if all the parts are assembly line parts and assembled correctly... then it's a car

The notion of treating it like fine art is crap and will eventually die once people have something else popular to throw money at.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

BimmerM3

Quote from: r0tor on March 12, 2019, 03:28:10 PM
Which is crap because a car is made of parts - and if all the parts are assembly line parts and assembled correctly... then it's a car

The notion of treating it like fine art is crap and will eventually die once people have something else popular to throw money at.

We understand that you feel this way. Clearly, much of the rest of the world doesn't. So what's the point of arguing about it? We're just going in circles here.

Soup DeVille

:shrug: And the Taj Mahal is just made out of rocks.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

I think you don't understand what the old car hobby really is. Most collectors value cars that mean something to them personally. Like it was their first car, a model they wanted in high school, a vehicle that a friend or family member had back in the day....
Example: I'd like to have a truck just like my Grandpa's was when I was a kid. It was a faded, red 1950 Chevy pickup.
It's not about a better vehicle, it's about the personality of the vehicle.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rockraven on March 12, 2019, 03:00:58 PM
Going to this local auction. It's in a small hamlet nearby, and I hope nobody there knows the real value of a 1968 Shelby GT500KR.

https://sullivanauctions.com/event/auction-garage-equipment-and-vehicles-auction/
Should be fun watching the bidding.  The Boss 302 would be great investment if it goes low.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 12, 2019, 03:32:28 PM
:shrug: And the Taj Mahal is just made out of rocks.

There's an Eiffel Tower at King's Island in Cincinnati. (And a tiny one in Vegas)
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 12, 2019, 03:40:51 PM
Should be fun watching the bidding.  The Boss 302 would be great investment if it goes low.

Quick research on NADA (proper, professional valuation) shows the Shelby to be worth $157,000 low, $275,000 high. There's no reserve. Fuck me. I should call my brother for backup if the bidding stays affordable.

Just to further my point, if this ends up selling for $15,000, does NADA have to adjust its valuation accordingly? Worth what some idiot's willing to pay for it, right?

r0tor

Quote from: shp4man on March 12, 2019, 03:38:41 PM
I think you don't understand what the old car hobby really is. Most collectors value cars that mean something to them personally. Like it was their first car, a model they wanted in high school, a vehicle that a friend or family member had back in the day....
Example: I'd like to have a truck just like my Grandpa's was when I was a kid. It was a faded, red 1950 Chevy pickup.
It's not about a better vehicle, it's about the personality of the vehicle.

That in no way shape or form represents the "value" of a $3 million Cuda

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on March 12, 2019, 04:00:19 PM
That in no way shape or form represents the "value" of a $3 million Cuda

No, the value is represented by the fact that somebody would rather have that 'Cuda than 3 million dollars.

That's really all there is to it.

r0tor

Bubbles are built on irrational ideas and then bubbles pop back to reality... Doesn't mean that the valuation was correct in the bubble

FoMoJo

One thing to bear in mind is that, often, collector cars are seen as an investment.  Those who buy them would likely realize a profit if/when they sold them.  No different from any other collectible.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 12, 2019, 12:38:21 PM
Nor is it relevant. They're not buyers.

I would be a buyer if the prices weren't severely inflated.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

You thinking something is crap doesn't make it crap.

Quote from: r0tor on March 12, 2019, 04:15:03 PM
Bubbles are built on irrational ideas and then bubbles pop back to reality... Doesn't mean that the valuation was correct in the bubble
Bubbles don't last for decades

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 12, 2019, 04:24:45 PM

I would be a buyer if the prices weren't severely inflated.
You just need to figure out the next cycle.  '70s cars are now gaining popularity; from old farts who had once pined for a '76 Oldsmobile Cutlass.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 12, 2019, 04:30:23 PM
You just need to figure out the next cycle.  '70s cars are now gaining popularity; from old farts who had once pined for a '76 Oldsmobile Cutlass.

Can't you tell that I'm hoarding pickup trucks that nobody else wants right now?

Anyway, if you consider the true value of something as a percentage of the buyer's net worth, this Supra is probably equivalent to 2% or less. In my case, I have no net worth, but let's call it annual income. 2% of my shit income is about $600. I would gladly bid 3% of my annual income for  this Supra. You see, now I win the dick swinging contest.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on March 12, 2019, 04:15:03 PM

It was worth that amount at that time. Tomorrow, as always, could be a different story.

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550