Audi TT Could Be Saved If It’s Electrified, Audi Technical Boss Says

Started by cawimmer430, March 15, 2019, 06:58:20 AM

cawimmer430

Audi TT Could Be Saved If It's Electrified, Audi Technical Boss Says

Just a few days after Audi's CEO said the TT could soon be killed off, the German automaker's technical boss has suggested that there's a chance the compact sports car will live on.

Speaking with Auto Express at the VW Group's recent Annual Media Conference, Audi board member for technical development Hans-Joachim Rothenpieler said that he is pushing the company to keep the TT in its family.

"The TT is emotional to us; we've been having emotional discussions at the board level. Some people say we should stop it but I say that it's part of our DNA. We're fighting for it. We want it. It's our DNA and that's what we're fighting for. I'm going to convince my colleagues on how it can be electrified," Rothenpieler said.

According to the company's technical boss, Audi has to update the R8 and TT in the age of e-mobility. Neither of these performance vehicles can continue to exist in their current form, and while others within the company seem willing to let the TT drive off into the sunset, Rothenpieler wants it to stick around.

"We're involved in discussing this, and these models and RS will need a change into e-mobility. That's what we're discussing.

"The e-tron GTis the first step, at the end of 2020; we have to keep our sporty DNA and I think we're going to see in our discussions on what we'll still need in terms of combustion engines and what we can transfer into e-mobility right away," Rothenpieler added.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/03/audi-tt-could-be-saved-if-its-electrified-audi-technical-boss-says/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

I'm a little skeptical. Seems like if the audience for the TT is small, it would only get smaller with electrification.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 15, 2019, 09:45:47 AM
I'm a little skeptical. Seems like if the audience for the TT is small, it would only get smaller with electrification.

Agreed. The market for these cars seems to be dwindling. MB is getting rid of the SLC (formerly known as the SLK) and Audi probably should focus on another SUV or CUV instead of a proper sports coupe.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

BimmerM3

I dunno - most TT buyers are probably dads with white collar jobs that have access to a family car when something bigger is needed. Sounds like a pretty good use case for an EV to me.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 15, 2019, 12:30:49 PM
I dunno - most TT buyers are probably dads with white collar jobs that have access to a family car when something bigger is needed. Sounds like a pretty good use case for an EV to me.
IDK... if they like the looks they can get old ones. If they like the performance they can get Golf Rs

I just don't see the buying logic in a new TT
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 15, 2019, 03:40:13 PM
IDK... if they like the looks they can get old ones. If they like the performance they can get Golf Rs

I just don't see the buying logic in a new TT

I was in Ingolstadt last weekend visiting the Audi factory and took the opportunity to sit inside the latest TT.

My opinion - the interior just feels so much more expensive and better than that of the Golf. The doors also feel heavier (reinforcing that luxury, solidity and quality feel) than those of a Golf. For some people those two characteristics are worth the extra cost.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SJ_GTI

I'd be curious to drive a TT(S) and compare it to my Golf R. I would be surprised if they drove similarly. The TT is smaller, lighter, and lower. Even given the same drivetrain and platform I would expect them to drive very differently.

r0tor

I think the TT has always needed some way to differentiate itself from its platform siblings.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

HurricaneSteve

With the death of the Beetle it's the only chunky two door remaining in VW's lineup, no?

Quote from: r0tor on March 18, 2019, 10:32:41 AM
I think the TT has always needed some way to differentiate itself from its platform siblings.

veeman

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on March 18, 2019, 07:31:56 PM
With the death of the Beetle it's the only chunky two door remaining in VW's lineup, no?

R8.

I wouldn't call it chunky though.  But neither is the TT.  I think the TT would be a perfect car to electrify.  It's light, looks great, and not used for transporting families long distance (something where the range of electric cars really limits it's utility). No idea if it would sell enough to justify cost of development.  Probably not. 

Laconian

It would be a unique choice too. The only electric sports car out there is the Tesla Roadster, and that's low volume and $$$.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3