Cadillac CT5

Started by 2o6, March 19, 2019, 01:47:05 PM

2o6

That greenhouse is irritating. The way the C-pillar is resolved is so incredibly cheap looking.

https://www.netcarshow.com/cadillac/2020-ct5/

This car directly replaces the CTS, and power comes either from a 2.0T, or a 3.0T. No electrtification or hybrid seemingly available.

It's like Cadillac isn't trying. WTF is going on at GM? Five years ago, they were on the ball about introducing cars that looked and performed good. Now they're releasing yet another ugly sedan that

1. Probably won't sell

2. Is likely mired in production and manufacturing issues and will be axed prolly 18 months from now

3. priced too damn high

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-cadillac-ct5-is-your-very-turbocharged-cts-rep-1833369834

SJ_GTI

Has pricing been announced? I scrolled through your links and didn't see it...but might have missed it.

I think it looks good overall, but agree that the extra detail on the C-pillar doesn't work.

giant_mtb

Looks decent, but yeah, that C-pillar. :confused:

It's almost like it wants to be one of those sedan coupe things, but they really wanted to keep it a normal sedan and not a liftback, so they had to compromise.

12,000 RPM

I'm having deja vu as the discussion about this on TCL is robust

I agree with you 100% 2o6... IIRC Mark Reuss said Cadillac has no more chances. In many ways this is worse than the cars it replaced. The XT6 is also an embarassment going head to head with the Aviator. And the Navigator is a cut above the aging Escalade. Is anybody home?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Gotta-Qik-C7

This looks as good as some German sedans. And it also looks better than all sedans sold by Lincoln! Including the BLAND Continental! But I agree it won't sell unless GM has it priced below the competition.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

r0tor

That C pillar is awful...

An unsuccessful sedan launch just greases the wheel to abandon cars all together and hop on the CUV/SUV profit gravytrain
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

What is it?  It looks like one of the dumpy-assed Crosstour/Crossover things from Honda/BMW.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

BimmerM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 19, 2019, 03:50:11 PM
What is it?  It looks like one of the dumpy-assed Crosstour/Crossover things from Honda/BMW.

Looks like it's replacing both the CTS and ATS, so I guess a mid-size sedan.

I kinda like it. Looks better than the current cars, IMO.

I think more cars are going to have that rear shape in the name of fuel economy. It's not the most flattering thing in the world, but I think it's done better here than in most other cars.

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 19, 2019, 04:08:00 PM
Looks like it's replacing both the CTS and ATS, so I guess a mid-size sedan.

I kinda like it. Looks better than the current cars, IMO.

I think more cars are going to have that rear shape in the name of fuel economy. It's not the most flattering thing in the world, but I think it's done better here than in most other cars.

I dunno...

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

CaminoRacer

Looks pretty good to me :huh:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

BimmerM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 19, 2019, 04:14:38 PM
I dunno...

Meh, it's fine. :huh: :lol: I'm not gonna go out and buy one just for the looks, but I also wouldn't avoid getting one for that reason.

But in general, I'm pretty neutral on most modern cars' designs. There aren't many vehicles that I have strong opinions about purely based on looks.

12,000 RPM

The shape isn't that bad, just that C-pillar
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

The profile kind of reminds me of the last Dodge Avenger...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Submariner

Quote from: MX793 on March 19, 2019, 06:46:42 PM

Well, when you're the Standard of the World...
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

cawimmer430

The end of the C-pillar just ruins the flow of the otherwise pleasing design.

The front and interior are very nice.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MX793 on March 19, 2019, 06:46:42 PM

I'm not seeing it

2o6

FoMoJo

SJ_GTI

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 20, 2019, 12:02:39 PM
Well it's, sorta the same colour :huh:.

+1

They also both have wheels and windows. They are practically the same car!

CaminoRacer

They're not even facing the same way. Totally different :lol:

I do think the C-pillar looks a bit Korean. I can't find an exact car that it reminds me of, though.

93JC

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 19, 2019, 04:39:44 PM
The shape isn't that bad, just that C-pillar

What's so heinous to you about the C-pillar? I don't really care for Cadillacs design language, but the little design flourish on the C-pillar seems pretty innocuous to me. :huh:

CaminoRacer

I bet the car will look fantastic in Cadillac's metallic black paint on a sunny day. I saw a black ATS the other day and it was a stunner.

giant_mtb

One of my college roommates worked on this thing. I change my mind, it looks fantastic. :lol:

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on March 20, 2019, 12:10:35 PM
What's so heinous to you about the C-pillar? I don't really care for Cadillacs design language, but the little design flourish on the C-pillar seems pretty innocuous to me. :huh:

That large piece of black shiny plastic masquerading as a window. It looks cheap.

93JC

thewizard16

The whole roofline just seems weird. The front and rear are pretty sharp but that side profile is just
a bit awkward looking.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

93JC

I agree, it looks kind of bulbous. Actually reminds me a lot of the proportions of the Tesla Model 3.

2o6

The proportions are fine.

It's lliterally that shiny piece of black plastic that ruins the design.

1. It's huge

2. It looks cheap and amateurish; a comparable BMW, MB, Audi, or Lexus won't resolve the greenhouse in a way that's not so *cheap* looking. The problem isn't the chrome flourish, it's the piece of plastic inside it. The chrome flourish arguably makes it more obvious that a very large corner was cut, designwise.

The rest of the car is *fine* although I'd also argue the way the trunk aperture is resolved is also amateurish and cheap looking, but I'd rather take that over that big glossy triangle.

2o6

Also, remember this is basically a production version of the Escala concept.

MrH

Yeah, the c-pillar shape is pretty terrible.  It's the same thing my Accord has, which I don't like.  The difference is, the Accord at least has a window there.  A piece of black plastic looks so tacky.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV