Enjoying an A220 Progressive....

Started by cawimmer430, February 02, 2021, 09:25:05 AM

cawimmer430

Got this loaner A220 Progressive from Mercedes-Benz Munich while my car is in the shop for a small recall. They need to check an A/C hose and if it is properly connected. In the description of the recall notice they stated that if something goes wrong here certain electronics in the engine bay could be damaged. Now normally this check-up doesn't take long but due to COVID measures and a higher workload than usual, things are a bit slow. So I took the chance to rent a loaner for 29,- Euros for a day - and they gave me an A220. This engine is also available in North America in the A220 Sedan and A220 4Matic Sedan.

The car has the same M260 DE20 AL engine as my A250, except with 190-horsepower. The engine feels the same as mine - smooth, quiet and also responsive and powerful. It lacks the brutal and explosive acceleration in my A250, but it's certainly fast and fun enough. Fuel economy is roughly similar. In the wet roads conditions we have here at the moment there's a lot of torque steer when you gun it aggressively.

The lack of the AMG body kit means the interior is different and the car is not lowered by 2 centimeters - which seem to be a big deal as I feel this car feels much softer and a bit more "higher center of gravity" in corners. Handling is ok but nothing spectacular. I could live with this car if I were to give up my A250 AMG.

The thing about this car which bugs me the most is the standard digital display - aka the "cheapo version". The digital diagrams and speedometer, navigation and media screens are all compressed into a tiny screen. My car has the widescreen digital display. Ok, I could live with this in theory but I like to maybe have my speedometer and RPM gauge visible side-by-side - and this is not possible here. I can select either having the speedometer in the screen in front of me or the RPG gauge. Basically the standard screens show you less information and feel so tight and compressed. That's my biggest gripe with this particular car.

Engine and comfort are good. The wheels are rather ugly, but hey, it's a loaner. Gave it back later and was happy to drive home in my A250.  :ohyeah:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

veeman

What's wrong with the wheels on the loaner?   :lol:  They look fine to me. 

SJ_GTI

Quote from: veeman on February 02, 2021, 09:45:31 AM

I like those style of wheels.

cawimmer430

Quote from: veeman on February 02, 2021, 09:45:31 AM

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 02, 2021, 10:08:25 AM
I like those style of wheels.

I guess I am spoiled by the genuine AMG and fake AMG (Rial M10 winter wheels) on my A250. :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie