Motorcycles.

Started by S204STi, July 21, 2008, 10:19:36 AM

MX793

So the Ninja 300 is now apparently the Ninja 400.  Feeling like the horsepower wars in the small displacement sportbike class is going to leave a hole for true entry-level.

And the Goldwing got its first full redesign in like 15 years.  Actually doesn't look half bad for a 2-wheeled sofa.  Almost like they're trying to make it a little more lithe and sportier, like the original Wing.  And 4-valve heads (though power is up by single digits, if at all).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

I think a 400 as an entry level bike is appropriate when the average pickup truck is a 14 second vehicle. A 250 is lunch meat.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

400 is still fine as a beginner bike.  The Ninja 500 was a fine starter bike.  But for someone who's never thrown a leg over anything more powerful than a bicycle, the 250 was a nice starting point.  They have the Z125, and that's perfect for a true first-timer at the MSF course, but since it can't be operated on highways due to its limited top speed, it kind of limits its versatility for those who don't live in urban environs.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Speed_Racer

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 27, 2018, 03:25:40 PM
Watching the X Games snow bike cross.  Harley Davidson is a major sponsor. lol That's like Kleenex sponsoring a toilet paper competition.
I noticed that as well. Their user base is dying off and us damn millennials aren't buying new H-Ds. Gee, I wonder why?

They've been doing a lot of new rider training courses as well, including some women-only ones. 

CaminoRacer

There's a college kid down the street from me with a new Harley. It's a bobber Sportster with whitewalls and straight pipes. Other than its decibel level, I think it's neat and would totally ride it.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Talked to some Harley rider last night who couldn't comprehend the difference in maintenance between a dirtbike and a Harley. When your ego/street cred is set by how often you wash your bike, you ride a Harley.

MX793

I know a number of younger guys who are into cruisers and HDs.  They seem to be more popular with female riders as well, likely because the seat heights are quite low.
Needs more Jiggawatts

shp4man

I'm not dead yet, Goddamit!  :lol:
And get off my lawn!

Speed_Racer

I had a guy take the SV for a test ride last night and he ended up putting down a deposit, so that's good news. It's been a good 5.5 years but I'm glad it's going to a good home - he rides a lot, and the SV will be for his wife. Soon i'll be back to just two bikes (thank goodness).

shp4man

I though it may be a fine time to take advantage of the weather here and go for a ride on the Sportster, man it was a fine day for it! It was uplifting as hell. But the fucking left turn signal screwed up due to some old aftermarket mods from 2001 or so. But the advantage of a Moco bike is that somebody or lots of mofos have had the same issue, and a fix is available.
$33 from J+P cycles and it's a fix.

giant_mtb

...isn't it year round riding weather in SoCal...?

shp4man

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 05, 2018, 04:03:28 PM
...isn't it year round riding weather in SoCal...?
Ya. In a t-shirt.  ;)

giant_mtb

41F today. Roads are clear and mostly dry. Gonna rip around town a bit and then take dirtbike to its new home at the shop.  My bicycle is there, so I'll just ride that back to my house. 

Slight delay as she was stuck in about 2" of ice in the yard. Started with the 4lb sledge but upgraded to hot water. 6 gallons later and she's free.

giant_mtb

Fired right up. Took a little cranking as expected, but the battery was alive and well after sitting outside all winter. Felt so good to ride again.

12,000 RPM

Starting to get worried. Paid a guy to build me some forks... it's been 2 months. Might need to put a claim in with Paypal, he has stopped responding to emails :(

Irresponsible thing to do would be to get a full ZX-10R front end but I should take that money, rebuild + figure out what the hell is going on with my forks and spend the rest on track day shit. I'll give this guy a week or so before I file my claim. Sucks!

SVT_Power

It sounds like you should just get a better bike...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

12,000 RPM

giant_mtb

That sucks man. I've ghosted people, but never in a situation where I've taken the money and run. 

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 23, 2018, 07:02:15 AM
Starting to get worried. Paid a guy to build me some forks... it's been 2 months. Might need to put a claim in with Paypal, he has stopped responding to emails :(

Yes, get a claim in NOW. Your options evaporate as time goes on.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Well he responded but he is being cagey. Very shitty as he was very quick to facilitate the transaction. Figures. Put a claim in anyway and will explore other options.

CaminoRacer

Speed_Racer

I've heard lots of good things about RaceTechs. If you're not doing emulators, Sonic Springs is also a good option too

CaminoRacer

My insurance went down a bunch. It's kinda tempting to get comp/collision, but at the same time I don't think a $2500-3000 bike is worth insuring. Especially since I paid cash for it. My financial situation doesn't change at all if something happens to it. I'll just be sad.

12,000 RPM

Shock is coming tomorrow. Got in touch with the guy, filed a claim. He says he will get it together and ship the forks out Monday. Once I get the forks I will close the claim. They are going to be pretty trick and they have got a lot of good reviews.... basically some old GSX-R cartridges shoehorned into the 650 fork legs. With the new shock it should be a sick setup. Just need a race suit and I'm ready to commute again.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 03, 2018, 12:44:28 PM
My insurance went down a bunch. It's kinda tempting to get comp/collision, but at the same time I don't think a $2500-3000 bike is worth insuring. Especially since I paid cash for it. My financial situation doesn't change at all if something happens to it. I'll just be sad.

Who are you with for insurance? Comp only adds $30/yr for both bikes to my premium, at least it covers you if it gets stolen.

SVT_Power

Comp also is a pretty minimal (I think it's <$200) for me. I also have a cheap bike that if I had to write it off, wouldn't be a big deal other than the disappointment. Toronto's apparently a hotbed for bike theft, although it's almost only sport bikes, so I figured I'd just pony up the extra few bucks a month.

I thought my bike insurance would go down after 2 years, nope. Still holding steady  :(
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Speed_Racer on April 03, 2018, 03:54:48 PM
Who are you with for insurance? Comp only adds $30/yr for both bikes to my premium, at least it covers you if it gets stolen.

Progressive. It's about $100/yr to add comp/collision. I don't think I can just add comp, or I'd probably do that.

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 03, 2018, 04:20:17 PM
Progressive. It's about $100/yr to add comp/collision. I don't think I can just add comp, or I'd probably do that.

I have Progressive as well.  They don't let you add just comp.  Comp is bundled with collision in an all-or-nothing deal.  I wanted Comp, but when collision gets added it brought my yearly premium up to damn near what I pay for full coverage on my Mustang per year.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Speed_Racer

Interesting - I have Progressive and they let me split comp and collision. But it's through USAA so I wonder if they have a deal to split up coverages.