Who Will Be the Next To Get a Ticket?

Started by dazzleman, March 25, 2006, 05:28:01 PM

CaminoRacer

I set cruise control at 10 over usually. The speed limit on the highways is 70 around here (75-85 in the super rural areas), so 80 mph is fine enough pace.

My problem is that I tend to drive 60-70 on any road I'm on (other than neighborhoods). So I'm much more likely to get a ticket on non-highway roads. But I haven't had a ticket in like 5 years.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Gotta-Qik-C7

Went to court for mine today! My pockets are $231 lighter. Cop showed up but the prosecutor knocked the speeding down to Unsafe Vehicle! No points so I'm happy.....
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on April 11, 2019, 09:03:31 AM
I get real antsy if I go over 85 mph on any highway. Growing up in the lates 70s, 80s, and 90s almost all the cars we had had a speedometer that maxed out at 85 mph.  I'm subconsciously conditioned to think of that number as the event horizon surrounding a black hole.

My top speed is 85-90 mph, not because of the old speedometers, but for a couple of other reasons.  For one, road and traffic conditions where I drive rarely allow safe travel above that speed.  Overall it''s just too much risk, and 85-90 feels fast enough and is either 20-25 or 30-35 mph over the speed limit.  That's enough for me.  I rode with Raf once when he was doing 140 mph and it was pretty scary.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on April 11, 2019, 05:17:44 PM
Went to court for mine today! My pockets are $231 lighter. Cop showed up but the prosecutor knocked the speeding down to Unsafe Vehicle! No points so I'm happy.....

I have found going to court to be pretty amusing.  That's a relatively heavy fine, but worth it... :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 11, 2019, 10:44:00 AM
One more ticket and I get my license suspended so I've been driving like a real granny (I got an 87/50 in NYC where they do not knock tickets down; I was impatient, right by home, went for an aggressive pass, officer bob was waiting for me. Not a proud moment)

Actually I had a bit of a scare a few months ago on my way back from a residency interview- got popped doing 80 in a 65 (I didn't even think I was going that fast) in some podunk county in upstate NY. Got a lawyer, fortunately got it down to a parking ticket. That could've been baaaaaaad

How long since the NYC ticket?  Doesn't it drop off after 18 month as far as suspension points are concerned?

I imagine you're paying that extra fee that NY hits drivers with who have more than 6 points in the past 3 years.  A friend of mine got hit with that - he got a 6 point speeding ticket, paid a heavy fine and thought he was done.  And then he got hit up for about $200 per year for the next 3 years.  Of course, it didn't stop him from getting another ticket, but the second time he was lucky and the cop wrote it down to 10 mph over (he was really going about 25 mph over).  Same exact thing that happened to me with my last ticket.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: dazzleman on April 11, 2019, 05:22:05 PM
I have found going to court to be pretty amusing.  That's a relatively heavy fine, but worth it... :lol:
Fine was $75. $141 Court Cost!!!  :rage:

Eye of the Tiger

My strategy is to drive vehicles that are too slow to get tickets. Even my 1.0L Fiesta will be suddenly doing 100 MPH without meaning to. I'm not even in a hurry, I just can't help but push the limits. And if I do get a fast vehicle, it needs to be super scary to drive, like the Ranger with a turbo 6.2 LS with the stock 14" tires and brakes.

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

dazzleman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 12, 2019, 02:52:01 PM
My strategy is to drive vehicles that are too slow to get tickets. Even my 1.0L Fiesta will be suddenly doing 100 MPH without meaning to. I'm not even in a hurry, I just can't help but push the limits. And if I do get a fast vehicle, it needs to be super scary to drive, like the Ranger with a turbo 6.2 LS with the stock 14" tires and brakes.

Weren't you getting a lot of tickets for a while?

dazzleman

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on April 11, 2019, 06:00:32 PM
Fine was $75. $141 Court Cost!!!  :rage:

If you had skipped going to court, would the fine just have been $75, or did the court reduce it?

Last time I went to court, the court costs were waived if you accepted the initial plea offer from the state''s attorney.  You only had to pay court costs if you rejected the plea deal, went to trial and were convicted.  Since I knew I was guilty as hell and almost certain to be convicted, I took the state''s attorney offer of a $35 fine and 1 point on my license.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on April 13, 2019, 09:37:56 AM
Weren't you getting a lot of tickets for a while?

Yeah, and I still should be according to the lead content of my right foot. Yesterday I totally trail-brake-drifted an off ramp in the Dakota. It handles good for an old truck. Cops around here must be slackin.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

dazzleman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 13, 2019, 11:14:43 AM
Yeah, and I still should be according to the lead content of my right foot. Yesterday I totally trail-brake-drifted an off ramp in the Dakota. It handles good for an old truck. Cops around here must be slackin.

The cops are slacking around here too.  It's insane that I have gone nearly 6 years without a ticket, especially on my Boston trips.  I've tried so hard to get one on so many occasions and come up empty.... :lol:

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: dazzleman on April 13, 2019, 09:41:18 AM
If you had skipped going to court, would the fine just have been $75, or did the court reduce it?

Last time I went to court, the court costs were waived if you accepted the initial plea offer from the state''s attorney.  You only had to pay court costs if you rejected the plea deal, went to trial and were convicted.  Since I knew I was guilty as hell and almost certain to be convicted, I took the state''s attorney offer of a $35 fine and 1 point on my license.
They charge court cost even if you mail the payment in. If I'd done that I wudda got 2 points tho!

dazzleman

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on April 13, 2019, 07:16:31 PM
They charge court cost even if you mail the payment in. If I'd done that I wudda got 2 points tho!

In that case, you were better off going to court.  I've always found it amusing and entertaining anyway, the times I have gone.  It's fun to watch the cases come up and see what people say to try to get out of their tickets.

Laconian

I just had a dream where I had a list of driving infractions which went on so long that it spanned multiple dot-matrix sheets.

It was technically a nightmare for me, but I bet it would be a lovely dream for Dave.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: dazzleman on April 13, 2019, 07:19:15 PM
In that case, you were better off going to court.  I've always found it amusing and entertaining anyway, the times I have gone.  It's fun to watch the cases come up and see what people say to try to get out of their tickets.
It's def LIVE ENTERTAINMENT!!!! LOL!!!! This was the only time I've been when the person before me DIDN'T piss the judge off! LOL!!!!!!

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on April 13, 2019, 07:40:47 PM
I just had a dream where I had a list of driving infractions which went on so long that it spanned multiple dot-matrix sheets.

It was technically a nightmare for me, but I bet it would be a lovely dream for Dave.

:lol:
I would find it pretty funny I guess, and part of me does find having a long list of infractions appealing.  But in reality, I don't think I'd want the actual consequences of that.  I prefer to space things out, and to be in a position where I can laugh off the penalties.

dazzleman

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on April 13, 2019, 07:40:56 PM
It's def LIVE ENTERTAINMENT!!!! LOL!!!! This was the only time I've been when the person before me DIDN'T piss the judge off! LOL!!!!!!

When I was in court once, there was a wild looking young girl there with a pissed off looking man, whom I assume was her father.  She had this smirk on her face the whole time.  Apparently, she couldn't pay the fine for whatever she did, and the father was refusing to pay (correctly, IMO).  The state's attorney was saying that she could go on a payment plan for the fines, or she could substitute community service.  It was pretty amusing to watch.  After I was finished and was over at the cashier paying my fine, I saw her again and she said hello and smirked, like the whole thing was a joke to her.  It was a pretty funny encounter.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: dazzleman on April 13, 2019, 07:55:14 PM
:lol:
I would find it pretty funny I guess, and part of me does find having a long list of infractions appealing.  But in reality, I don't think I'd want the actual consequences of that.  I prefer to space things out, and to be in a position where I can laugh off the penalties.
LOL!!! Same here!!!!

dazzleman

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on April 13, 2019, 07:58:02 PM
LOL!!! Same here!!!!

I've been like this since I was a teenager.  I assumed I would outgrow it long before now, but somehow I never did.  I guess I'm the world's oldest 16-year-old in some ways.  When my personal trainer tries to work me really hard, I joke with him that I love punishment and that he's not going to be able to break me.  I guess I have the same attitude about speeding.  Getting a ticket only makes me more determined to continue to speed.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on April 11, 2019, 09:03:31 AM
I get real antsy if I go over 85 mph on any highway. Growing up in the lates 70s, 80s, and 90s almost all the cars we had had a speedometer that maxed out at 85 mph.  I'm subconsciously conditioned to think of that number as the event horizon surrounding a black hole.

The Toronado would wrap around to 0 again at about 95.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

dazzleman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 15, 2019, 07:25:15 AM
The Toronado would wrap around to 0 again at about 95.

That's pretty cool.  I never saw that.

How far above 95 did you take it?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on April 15, 2019, 08:12:56 PM
That's pretty cool.  I never saw that.

How far above 95 did you take it?

Hell if I know, it got stuck on the back side of the little peg at 0 that the needle rested on.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

dazzleman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 17, 2019, 11:31:03 AM
Hell if I know, it got stuck on the back side of the little peg at 0 that the needle rested on.

Haha, I'm guessing that was the period when you were in danger of losing your license... :lol: :lockedup: :pullover:

Klackamas

Tough times breed strong people; Strong people create good times; Good times breed weak people; Weak people create tough times.

MrH

42 in a 25 today :pullover:

Cop was at least nice and really fast.  Got me out of there in 6 or 7 minutes.

He just laughed and said, "yeah, this is pretty much just the cost of driving around all the time". He's right.  Gotta pay to play.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

dazzleman

Quote from: MrH on October 07, 2019, 02:43:27 PM
42 in a 25 today :pullover:

Cop was at least nice and really fast.  Got me out of there in 6 or 7 minutes.

He just laughed and said, "yeah, this is pretty much just the cost of driving around all the time". He's right.  Gotta pay to play.

How much is the fine?  Do you.have points on your license already?

CALL_911

Quote from: MrH on October 07, 2019, 02:43:27 PM

Fuck that, no its not

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 09, 2019, 08:17:14 AM
Fuck that, no its not

It is if you consistently drive 15+ mph over the speed limit.  :lol:

In my experience, except in very limited circumstances,  a 25 mph speed limit is unrealistically low.  Most of the time, 30-35 mph would be ok.  41 mph may be a little fast, depending on the road.

giant_mtb

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/03/us/teenager-impersonates-police-officer-trnd/index.html

Wysynski, 18, identified himself and was wearing, according to the officer, "regular clothing" and a star shaped badge on his belt, the complaint said. He told the APD officer that he had worked for the Bernalillo County Sheriff's Department for three years, police say.

"I know, I know I'm underequipped," Wysynski can be heard saying in the APD body cam video.

https://youtu.be/L1mKhrBgTZc

RomanChariot

This is exactly why I don't think unmarked police cars should be allowed to make traffic stops. I see reports like this several times a year. If an officer in an unmarked car sees a traffic violation they should call for a marked vehicle to make the stop.