Rental Car thread

Started by Laconian, February 27, 2017, 08:50:47 PM

Xer0

Quote from: Laconian on September 24, 2019, 07:30:26 PM
I win. Model S 70D. Fuck this thing is fast.

Like, really really fast. Whiplash fast.

Just the 70?  You can't even take that piece of junk for a few hot laps on the 'Ring.

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 24, 2019, 03:54:17 PM
Wow that's really tall and not even lifted

New trucks are insanely tall. It's at the point where using a step ladder is necessary for easy hood waxing.

Laconian

Quote from: Xer0 on September 25, 2019, 10:50:21 AM
Just the 70?  You can't even take that piece of junk for a few hot laps on the 'Ring.

Total POS!

It's the best driving car I've ever rented, that's for sure. Much better than the 5-series and 3-series, which felt spongy and remote and would always start in a fun-sucking eco-mode. The Model S is an unapologetic rocketship as soon as you put it in Drive. The steering and handling are totally dialed in with almost no body roll. The interior is better than my coworker's launch-year Model S, but admittedly it's not as good as it should be for the price. Still, the car gets an inordinate lot of hate from "enthusiasts" despite it being a fucking great driver's car.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

NomisR

Quote from: Laconian on September 25, 2019, 12:44:15 PM
Total POS!

It's the best driving car I've ever rented, that's for sure. Much better than the 5-series and 3-series, which felt spongy and remote and would always start in a fun-sucking eco-mode. The Model S is an unapologetic rocketship as soon as you put it in Drive. The steering and handling are totally dialed in with almost no body roll. The interior is better than my coworker's launch-year Model S, but admittedly it's not as good as it should be for the price. Still, the car gets an inordinate lot of hate from "enthusiasts" despite it being a fucking great driver's car.

It's a great driver's car and non-drivers car, and also for tech lovers.  I think the hate is more coming from the "purists" than anything.  I'm really not a fan of the giant screen though. 

Xer0

Total POS!

I think a lot of the hate that the Model S gets is because of Musk.  For better or worse, the dude is good at getting people to love him and his companies and just as good or better at getting people to hate him and his companies.  The car just gets unfairly hit with the fallout, like the recent 'Ring fiasco.  I dig it personally.

Laconian

I don't think any of the executive cars in 2019 pass the "purity" smell test anymore.

12,000 RPM

I've always said the cars themselves are excellent. It's Musk, the r0tors/MrHs, and the IMO inefficient use of batteries that bother me. Maybe one day if all decent ICE options go away I'd get an EV. But I'm looking to put it off as long as possible
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 25, 2019, 02:00:15 PM
I've always said the cars themselves are excellent. It's Musk, the r0tors/MrHs, and the IMO inefficient use of batteries that bother me. Maybe one day if all decent ICE options go away I'd get an EV. But I'm looking to put it off as long as possible

Bring on the simulated 6MT and I'm all for it. ;)

MrH

Total POS!

The issue is not the product at all.  It's the business.  I've always said that.

The only issue I have with the product itself is the quality problems, the costs required to make it, and the fraud required in order to keep producing them.

If Tesla's entirely lineup was produced by Toyota, and had Toyota levels of validation, reliability, fit and finish, and profitability, I would buy one in a heart beat.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on September 25, 2019, 02:02:00 PM
Bring on the simulated 6MT and I'm all for it. ;)

Manual shifters will become like built in fidget spinners for bored, ADHD drivers.  :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on September 25, 2019, 02:09:52 PM
If Tesla's entirely lineup was produced by Toyota, and had Toyota levels of validation, reliability, fit and finish, and profitability, I would buy one in a heart beat.

And that's why I bought a Bolt. Maybe not quite as good as a Toyota, but still way more bulletproof than a Tesla. 5/5 reliability instead of 2/5
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 25, 2019, 02:45:59 PM
And that's why I bought a Bolt. Maybe not quite as good as a Toyota, but still way more bulletproof than a Tesla. 5/5 reliability instead of 2/5

:hesaid:

Laconian

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 25, 2019, 02:27:26 PM
Manual shifters will become like built in fidget spinners for bored, ADHD drivers.  :lol:

They kind of are like that. Get rid of the shifter, now self-stimmers have to pull out their

phones

FoMoJo

Oddly, I see a lot of Teslas on the road up here.  Not sure about Bolts.  Likely wouldn't recognize one.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MrH

If I had more garbage space and plans to stay in my house longer, I would have a Bolt right now.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on September 25, 2019, 04:54:11 PM
They kind of are like that. Get rid of the shifter, now self-stimmers have to pull out their

phones

Shift knobs with built in touch screens!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MrH on September 25, 2019, 05:02:28 PM
If I had more garbage space and plans to stay in my house longer, I would have a Bolt right now.

The landfill business isn't easy.

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on September 24, 2019, 07:30:26 PM
I win. Model S 70D. Fuck this thing is fast.

Like, really really fast. Whiplash fast.

Wow!  I am really jealous.  I wish I had gotten that when I came to Kirkland rather than the stodgy Impala!
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

MrH

I can't take Seattle seriously when there's an area called Kirkland.  All I can think of is Costco Land.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

dazzleman

Quote from: MrH on September 25, 2019, 06:40:06 PM
I can't take Seattle seriously when there's an area called Kirkland.  All I can think of is Costco Land.

Seattle as a city is meh.  I was glad I took Kevin''s recommendation to stay in Kirkland.  I stayed at a great place on Lake Washington.  The region as a whole is beautiful.  The Impala was big for the tiny parking spaces there.  I would have preferred a smaller car.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Speed_Racer on September 24, 2019, 12:51:17 PM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 24, 2019, 03:54:17 PM
Wow that's really tall and not even lifted

The top of the side mirror on those things is practically the top window line of Odyssey. And top of Miata is easily the top of the wheel well...
Will

Speed_Racer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 25, 2019, 07:07:37 PM
The top of the side mirror on those things is practically the top window line of Odyssey. And top of Miata is easily the top of the wheel well...

I've probably inadvertently run over a few Miatas already...  :huh:

This is what they came from (also an SX4, even smaller):

CaminoRacer

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on September 25, 2019, 06:40:06 PM

World's largest Costco

Eye of the Tiger

Welcome to Costco, I love you.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on September 25, 2019, 05:29:06 PM
Garage** damnit! :lol:
If its any consolation my garage is full of garbage, including the Kia I still have to sell :cry:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Quote from: dazzleman on September 25, 2019, 06:44:17 PM
Seattle as a city is meh.  I was glad I took Kevin''s recommendation to stay in Kirkland.  I stayed at a great place on Lake Washington.  The region as a whole is beautiful.  The Impala was big for the tiny parking spaces there.  I would have preferred a smaller car.

Kirkland is a nicer place to be than Seattle, that's for sure!

Kirkland is the ancestral home of Costco, but it is headquartered in nearby Issaquah now. Seattle is home to an inordinate number of megacompanies for some reason

Laconian

I spent about 45 minutes romping around twisty roads last night and another 30 just accelerating all-out on onramps. The motors consume up to 386kW at WOT. White knuckle shit. Eddie (afty) drove it and managed to induce torque steer on the car. God damn it is fast though. 60 to 90 in a blink of an eye. No hesitation, just a relentless and instantaneous surge.

The regenerative braking is actually quite a nice thing to have in the twisties. Lifting your foot off the pedal sheds enough speed that you can safely enter a hairpin turn. You barely have to touch the brakes.

I brought the battery from 50% to 80% at a Supercharger, it took around 10 minutes. $0.00.