The Official Mustang Thread

Started by SVT666, June 04, 2007, 10:07:09 AM

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on May 29, 2020, 06:03:15 PM
Wonder if they're going to bring the grille-mounted driving/fog lamps back?  Not sure they really suit the current bodystyle.  Maybe with a substantial change to the whole front fascia...
Looks good just the way it is.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Xer0

The Coyote is supposedly going to be up to 500hp in this guise which is putting it really really close to the Voodoo.

MX793

Quote from: Xer0 on May 29, 2020, 10:26:52 PM
The Coyote is supposedly going to be up to 500hp in this guise which is putting it really really close to the Voodoo.

IIRC, somebody (Ford Performance, I think) slapped some Voodoo parts onto a Coyote and they were getting close to 500 hp.  I think they used Voodoo heads, intake, and throttle body with custom cams (to change the heads to crossplane).  This was back when Voodoo first came out and before the Coyote had DI.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: Xer0 on May 29, 2020, 10:26:52 PM

If Ford keeps the Coyote 7,500 RPM red line, such a 500 hp engine will be a better motor than the Voodoo. Could also be that VVL is finally on the way, making such a version of the Coyote even better still.

Eye of the Tiger

Needs electric motors in the front wheels.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on May 30, 2020, 04:39:27 PM
If Ford keeps the Coyote 7,500 RPM red line, such a 500 hp engine will be a better motor than the Voodoo. Could also be that VVL is finally on the way, making such a version of the Coyote even better still.

The Bullitt is already 480, so they're pretty close as it is.  And, yes, it probably would be a more well-rounded motor than Voodoo.  Voodoo is down on low end grunt to even the old, port-injected Coyote and the newer DI versions got a bit more grunt across the band.

But I wouldn't hold my breath for VVL.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on May 30, 2020, 05:14:59 PM
The Bullitt is already 480, so they're pretty close as it is.  And, yes, it probably would be a more well-rounded motor than Voodoo.  Voodoo is down on low end grunt to even the old, port-injected Coyote and the newer DI versions got a bit more grunt across the band.

The Voodoo is meant more for screaming around a race track than on a drag strip.  Mach I has, traditionally, been the strip car.  Hopefully, it has some low end grunt. 

VVL is kind of useless.  Want some more air, get a blower.  Much less complicated.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on May 30, 2020, 07:29:40 AM
IIRC, somebody (Ford Performance, I think) slapped some Voodoo parts onto a Coyote and they were getting close to 500 hp.  I think they used Voodoo heads, intake, and throttle body with custom cams (to change the heads to crossplane).  This was back when Voodoo first came out and before the Coyote had DI.

Heads will be agnostic WRT crank configuration (cross vs. flat plan). Custom cams would be needed at a minimum to accommodate the Coyote firing order. My bet is cam specs are different too since the Coyote is smaller in displacement and has a lower RPM operating range.

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on May 30, 2020, 05:14:59 PM

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 30, 2020, 05:22:29 PM
The Voodoo is meant more for screaming around a race track than on a drag strip.  Mach I has, traditionally, been the strip car.  Hopefully, it has some low end grunt. 

VVL is kind of useless.  Want some more air, get a blower.  Much less complicated.

A 500 hp + VVL + 7,500 RPM Coyote will be a better/faster/quicker motor than the Voodoo in all instances - track, strip and street.

Xer0

Quote from: MX793 on May 30, 2020, 07:29:40 AM

Yeah, I remember reading those stories when the GT350 was first coming out.  I like that Ford has continued developing the Coyote and it really feels like an under-appreciated world class motor.  Almost 500 hp, sounds great, NA goodness; whats not to love?  I def prefer it to the LS series at this point.

GoCougs

Quote from: Xer0 on June 01, 2020, 09:36:38 AM
Yeah, I remember reading those stories when the GT350 was first coming out.  I like that Ford has continued developing the Coyote and it really feels like an under-appreciated world class motor.  Almost 500 hp, sounds great, NA goodness; whats not to love?  I def prefer it to the LS series at this point.

The issue is the Coyote is in effect a 30-year-old motor, first debuting as the Modular. It is space inefficient (too large for its displacement), does not have VVL, and has other outdated design elements such as its cam timing mechanics. It is hanging in there, esp. given the dearth of N/A V8s, but Ford needs a ground-up modern design.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on June 01, 2020, 07:51:43 PM
The issue is the Coyote is in effect a 30-year-old motor, first debuting as the Modular. It is space inefficient (too large for its displacement), does not have VVL, and has other outdated design elements such as its cam timing mechanics. It is hanging in there, esp. given the dearth of N/A V8s, but Ford needs a ground-up modern design.

The LT1 is in effect at least a 25 year old motor.  It doesn't have VVL.  Plus other outdated design elements, such as the cam timing mechanics (which lacks any sort of independence between intake and exhaust timing).
Needs more Jiggawatts

MX793

Mach 1 is 480 hp, same as the Bullitt.  Haven't seen the full spec sheet, but I would not at all be surprised if the Mach 1 is essentially the Bullitt with some cosmetic changes (wheels, front fascia, badging).
Needs more Jiggawatts

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

And if it doesn't shake, pull one of the plug wires.

Xer0

The grey and orange paint scheme on this thing looks fantastic, but right now it sounds like nothing more than a Bullit by a different name which is a bit disappointing.  We give Porsche a lot of shit for slicing their 911 pie in a lot of different ways, but Ford is just as good as them at selling you many very slightly different versions of the 'Stang.

FoMoJo

FoMoJo

Quote from: Xer0 on June 16, 2020, 09:05:30 AM
The grey and orange paint scheme on this thing looks fantastic, but right now it sounds like nothing more than a Bullit by a different name which is a bit disappointing.  We give Porsche a lot of shit for slicing their 911 pie in a lot of different ways, but Ford is just as good as them at selling you many very slightly different versions of the 'Stang.
Could be different ratios.  Maybe different tune, max torque at a lower rpm range.  Mach I is a strip car.

MX793

Reading C&D's rundown, this isn't just a re-skinned Bullitt.  Engine is the same, but the transmission is the Tremec from the GT350 rather than the Getrag MT86 that the Bullitt and lesser Mustangs get (big upgrade there, the MT86 is probably the biggest weak point in the GT).  Front and rear subframes from the GT350.  Differential cooler out of the GT500 (also something the GTs need for track duty).  Handling pack adds some aero from the GT500 plus adjustable front strut mounts.  Sounds very much geared towards road racing rather than the strip.  I may consider looking into one of these...
Needs more Jiggawatts

CaminoRacer

The regular GT doesn't have a Tremec? Didn't know that. Thought they were all running a TR-6060 or whatever. Is Getrag cheaper, or is there another reason they went with it?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 16, 2020, 10:56:08 AM
The regular GT doesn't have a Tremec? Didn't know that. Thought they were all running a TR-6060 or whatever. Is Getrag cheaper, or is there another reason they went with it?

All Mustangs other than the top dog Shelby models have been using the MT86 since they updated the engines back in '11.  And owners have been complaining about it since.  I assume it's a cost driven decision.  It's a very mediocre gearbox.  Prone to grinding and notchiness when cold.  Can lock out third gear if you try to shift too quickly (drives the drag strip guys nuts).  A number of people have grenades them, I assume mostly drag racers and guys putting a lot of power through them.  I think there's now a class action suit.  The GT350's Tremec is a big step up in terms of robustness and shift action/feel in regular driving.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Xer0

Quote from: MX793 on June 16, 2020, 11:05:53 AM
All Mustangs other than the top dog Shelby models have been using the MT86 since they updated the engines back in '11.  And owners have been complaining about it since.  I assume it's a cost driven decision.  It's a very mediocre gearbox.  Prone to grinding and notchiness when cold.  Can lock out third gear if you try to shift too quickly (drives the drag strip guys nuts).  A number of people have grenades them, I assume mostly drag racers and guys putting a lot of power through them.  I think there's now a class action suit.  The GT350's Tremec is a big step up in terms of robustness and shift action/feel in regular driving.

Yup there is:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32828840/ford-mustang-transmission-class-action-lawsuit/

FoMoJo

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 17, 2020, 09:12:54 AM
13 choices...Ford Has 13 Different Mustang Variants

My favourite...

The GT350 and GT350R may just be my favorite fixed roof cars on the market right now. I want one in a bad, bad way. I probably wouldn't get the R, though. Truthfully, I'd probably be more than happy with a Bullitt or a GT PP2.

I want a GT350, but the earlier model with the lower spoiler.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on June 17, 2020, 09:24:10 AM
The GT350 and GT350R may just be my favorite fixed roof cars on the market right now. I want one in a bad, bad way. I probably wouldn't get the R, though. Truthfully, I'd probably be more than happy with a Bullitt or a GT PP2.

I want a GT350, but the earlier model with the lower spoiler.
Take one for a test drive.  Let me know how it feels.

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 17, 2020, 09:27:58 AM
Take one for a test drive.  Let me know how it feels.

I'd love to.  :wub:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

dazzleman

My uncle had a 1965 Mustang - red convertible - back in the late 1960s.  He had to get rid of it in 1969 when he lost his right arm to cancer at age 20/21, and could no longer drive a stick shift.  He replaced it with a red 1970 Chevrolet Malibu convertible.  When my whole family visited him and his wife in Florida in 1971, all 9 of us (7 in my family plus my uncle and aunt) road around in the Malibu.  But it's such a shame he had to get rid of the Mustang.  It would be a real classic today if he had kept it and preserved it.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rich

The meh is strong with the next one
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT